Thread: Nintendo PlayStation sells for $360k

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Nintendo PlayStation sells for $360k

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/07/tech/...rnd/index.html

Being that it is the only copy left in existence, is this basically the holy grail of video games? In the words of Indiana Jones "That belongs on a museum!" hehe

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

The buyer of the prototype "Nintendo Play Station" has been revealed as Greg McLemore, founder of internet-store-turned-infamous-bust Pets.com:

https://www.polygon.com/2020/3/8/211...-greg-mclemore

Apparently, he will be loaning it to a museum, as it turns out.
    -Adam

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Still a ridiculous price. Take a 0 off of it and it’d be reasonable. Still glad it’s going to a museum, but no piece of video game history should fetch a six figure price. At least it’s not nearly as ridiculous as art which has scads of pieces that are 6 figures or even 7-8 figures.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ArcadePerfect's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It says it'll be loaned to USC's Pacific Asia Museum for an "exhibit next spring and summer" so it seems like it won't be on display on a permanent basis. I'm surprised it didn't sell for even more honestly. It's one of a kind and represents a massive turning point chapter in both companies' history.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I tend to agree with ArcadePerfect...this is a unique and one-of-a-kind artifact of a "what-if" alternate history that almost happened. Had Nintendo teamed up with Sony, it would have radically altered the video game landscape and history would look very different. This is a "what if someone went back in time to kill a pivotal historical figure" kind of item - evidence of a world that could have existed, but didn't. It honestly belongs in a museum for good; hoping it eventually gets donated there.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool console, but it’s interesting how evidently 200 of them were made, and there is only an assumption that they were destroyed - and I’m betting that assumption is perpetuated by little more than myth, and those that have some vested interest in keeping that myth alive. It would be interesting if another turned up. But either way, that price is very surprising. I fully understand the significance of the console, however I just didn’t think this Super-Sony-Nintendo-CD-failed-venture-where-Sony-taught-Nintendo-a-lesson mysticism Is worthy of that ludicrous price paid.
    Scream And Fly - High Performance Powerboating Online
    My Personal Weblog
    My Feedback!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scream And Fly View Post
    Cool console, but it’s interesting how evidently 200 of them were made, and there is only an assumption that they were destroyed - and I’m betting that assumption is perpetuated by little more than myth, and those that have some vested interest in keeping that myth alive. It would be interesting if another turned up. But either way, that price is very surprising. I fully understand the significance of the console, however I just didn’t think this Super-Sony-Nintendo-CD-failed-venture-where-Sony-taught-Nintendo-a-lesson mysticism Is worthy of that ludicrous price paid.
    Hey if I had $360k lying around I would buy it. However, it is going to the Smithsonian or another highly secured museum where it wont be damaged or stolen. Consoles deteriorate due to fluctuating temperatures, humidity, air quality, etc. I wouldnt want a treasure like that sitting at home

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Prototype consoles are probably treated differently than prototype games, especially when said console originated from a failed partnership. If there were 200 of them still out there, I'm pretty sure more than one of them would've surfaced by now, given that it's been over 25 years since said partnership (briefly) existed. And as for the final price, I tend to lean towards it being on the low side; the seller claims to have received seven figure offers for the prototype before the auction, which doesn't entirely surprise me.
    -Adam

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Another thing to consider is that a lot of people out there dont have any social media presence and/or theyre not out there bragging about their high dollar posessions. a lot of people keep that stuff to themselves

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gbpxl For This Useful Post:

WelcomeToTheNextLevel (05-13-2020)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Another thing to consider is that a lot of people out there dont have any social media presence and/or theyre not out there bragging about their high dollar posessions. a lot of people keep that stuff to themselves
    Yeah something historic like a Nintendo PlayStation, sell that shit to a museum. Nothing's worse than having some one of a kind historic piece ending up in some rich asshole's hands. Let the world see it, like the Mona Lisa.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Cool console, but it’s interesting how evidently 200 of them were made, and there is only an assumption that they were destroyed - and I’m betting that assumption is perpetuated by little more than myth, and those that have some vested interest in keeping that myth alive.
    bit OT but I happen to have one of sample Saturn console SEGA Japan cobbled together with various bits from their still in development Saturn project. It uses the injection molding case sample plus one of final candidate revision motherboard and early sample JVC CD-ROM unit to show what the Saturn looks like and all. From what I heard several of these units were assembled to be used by their internal divisions. However after two decades I'm yet to see another unit from those said batch. So myth or not the fact is this is the only unit known to exist and until another one is found it will stay that way.