Thread: Typical final console price drops before next gen?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Typical final console price drops before next gen?

For those of you with years or decades of experience, in general, when are the last waves of official price drops for console hardware before [soon after] the next gen of devices arrives?

I'm referring to the drops in the regular manufacturer list price (or if different, the regular price seen consistently in stores). So, this is not about special promotions like Black Friday or store-specific sales.

Is the drop usually following the next-gen console announcement, when it goes on sale, a few months before, a few months after? With previous generations, how has this played out?

In the current gen, I'm surprised to see that PS4 Pro is still holding on to a fairly high list price despite the next gen being right around the corner. At least here in Poland. PS4 Pro 1TB premiered here for around 1799zł back in 2016, and today big box stores often carry it for around 1699zł (-5.5%). Of course you can be patient and hunt for sales, but I still paid 1349zł (-25% from the 2016 price).
    Last edited by Raconteur; 03-10-2020 at 07:15 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I've noticed that a lot of times, the price is dropped when the new system is released. The price starts at its highest on most new consoles and is then dropped a few times as the console gets older, but the price usually levels off in the last year or two before the successor console is released. Once the new console is released the old one isn't the "latest and greatest" anymore so prices plummet. A year from now, PS4's are probably going to be quite a bit cheaper, maybe 40-50% cheaper than they are now, because the PS5 should be releasing in the fall. There are probably going to be some great deals to be found on PS4's this holiday season.

I don't know how things work exactly in Poland, but this is how they work in the USA, and I imagine that Poland is probably relatively similar.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ArcadePerfect's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Things have changed, in the past new console upgrade versions weren't simply accepted into the market. Many thought the 32X was too expensive back when it was released for example, when now people pay it's price tag on collector's editions weekly. The PS4 Pro has been on the market for a few years but not for as many years as the base PS4, and I feel that effects the perception of 'Why hasn't this been discounted more yet?'