Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Default Arcade cab needs two ground connectors, but new PSU only has one

Although I'm almost certain that it's possible, can I connect two sources that require ground (green wire) on only one ground (green) connector on the PSU?

Replacement PSU has only one ground female molex connector and I need to connect two cabinet ground male molex connectors (one ground is from the coin slot and the other were the controls are). I know, it's a dumb question and I should know better, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks everyone!
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

dont take my word as gospel because i dont want to be responsible if you get blown away but in all my experiences with car batteries, boat batteries, satellite communications, air conditioning units, video game repair, ive seen multiple instances of multiple things grounded on either a negative or multiple seperate ground screws that all connected to the same damn piece of metal.

now with that being said... does the rule change depending on AC versus DC? I dont know. i guess car and boat batteries run on DC and it seemed fine to stack your negatives. and household power runs on AC and if you look at your air conditioning condenser, youll have 1 ground going to a screw that just bolts to the metal. i dont know why it would be dangerous to add another ground wire to same screw versus drilling a seperate screw somewhere else

so im 99.9% sure youd be fine but im not an electrical engineer so...

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

whats the machine?

the only reason i am saying just go head is because i dont want it to be one of those stupid things like a positive earth and everything gets hooked up backwards

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Ah, I missed this topic. Lol

Its the Neo 25s I was gifted. Im so close to making one fully functional! But propietary wiring is an issue, as the orevious PSU was made specifically for it and its long gone.

I did find out how it was originally wired, which was weird. All ground on the machine went to a seperate metal playing, which is connected to a AC noise filter and to the main AC ground. So I will just use that.

Waiting on Amazon for the last bits and bobs (closed end Nylon connectors crimpers) and then for the final test!
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Ah, I missed this topic. Lol

Its the Neo 25s I was gifted. Im so close to making one fully functional! But propietary wiring is an issue, as the orevious PSU was made specifically for it and its long gone.

I did find out how it was originally wired, which was weird. All ground on the machine went to a seperate metal playing, which is connected to a AC noise filter and to the main AC ground. So I will just use that.

Waiting on Amazon for the last bits and bobs (closed end Nylon connectors crimpers) and then for the final test!
    I dont know what a metal playing is (plain?) but yeah all the ground does is disperse the electricity safely and away from the user or the repairman, coin collector, whatever. just like when you jump a car battery you can hook the negative up to something metal on the vehicle.

the only things you wanna watch out for is you dont want to create a short by connecting a ground wire back between two components on the circuit. and dont use plumbing pipes as a ground. service members in Iraq were getting electrocuted while showering because of improper grounding.
    Last edited by gbpxl; 04-01-2020 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Yeah, you'll want to have a common ground. Ground also provides a reference for 0 volts. Without a common ground to 2 circuits may not be able to work together even though they are both getting power.

Some cars use(d) positive ground for anode corrosion reasons among other things, and isn't really applicable to anything to do with house wiring.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i've run into other oddball things that ran positive ground that was the only reason i wanted to be sure...