Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to your childhood video games?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default What happened to your childhood video games?

When I worked at a game store, the common story was "my mom sold them at a garage sale after I went into the military" and that's my story as well. She even asked us if we still wanted them at the time and I said no (circa 2009) man do I regret that because the collector bug bit me around 2012. oh well.

anyways do you still have your childhood games? if not, what happened to them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Thankfully, I still do! All my games are stored and saved. Many of them hold great memories and, at times, sentimental value. Those are games I will never part with.

Examples: Castle of Illusion (SMS), Keystone Kapers (2600), Rastan (SMS), Kirby's Adventure (NES), Link's Awakening (GB), Frog's and Flies (2600), etc.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Still have them all. My parents were never the type to throw away or otherwise try to get rid of my stuff. On one hand, I'm thankful for that, but on the other, it left me with a lot of work going through boxes upon boxes of childhood stuff myself to decide what I wanted to keep and then finding a way to transport everything and get rid of everything I didn't want anymore.

What I don't have is the boxes. I made the dumb choice to throw away boxes up until I got into my late teens in the late 90s. Lost a lot of nice SNES and Game Boy boxes that way. Some for N64 too. At least I kept all the manuals.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 04-03-2020 at 11:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

i had all my snes/ps1/nes stuff growing up until around 2008 or 2009...ended up sellling everything due to financial reasons....but over the last 10 years or so i've re purchased everything and then some...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I never ran into that problem of having my games or consoles sold.It was my choice when i wanted to sell or trade said game or console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I still have all of my childhood games, though I did lose some boxes and manuals when my parents moved while I was away at college.

Actually, now that I think of it, I did have an Odyssey 2 that I have no clue what became of it. My parents probably did sell it in a garage sale.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The only childhood games I have are my NES with a handful of games, the Atari 2600 my uncle had (got it from my cousin as payment for computer work), my Mattel LED Football and a Coleco Frogger mini cab.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

oh yeah I just remembered I still have a lot of my Dreamcast games and a launch day CIB GameCube. no idea how it survived all the moves

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I pretty much still have them all, and I kept the boxes with inserts. A few later games from my teens I sold because I didn't want them anymore, but the earliest games I kept.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Still have them, except for the boxes for my NES games, of course.

Unless we are counting childhood as everything prior to being a legal adult. I did sell my entire N64 collection (accumulated, at least in part, while under age 18). Regret.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I still have almost all of my games from being a kid. I traded in some NES games to funcoland as a kid to get sega cd games. I also lent a former friend my saturn stuff from when it was current. He lived in a trailer at his place of work, and when he moved out, he just left it all there and the place got demolished. I don't know why he did that, but I'm pretty sure part of it was he always was depressed and made bad choices (hence being a former friend). He did give me money at the time for doing that, but nowhere close to what it is worth today.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I kept pretty much all of them. In fact, several in my NES and Atari 2600 library are from my friends' collections, ha ha. Often they'd get a new system, and toss me the old ones.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

I still have all my games from my childhood, outside of the Atari 2600 games I had (I still have 2, Pac-Man and Night Driver).

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I still have everything that wasn't looted after a house fire, or lost in Katrina, where I had most of the remaining stuff that survived the fire stored away in my mother's backyard shed.

I lost most of my original Genesis, SNES, Vectrex, and Amiga 500 games, as well as most of my system boxes, but managed to keep most or all of my SEGA Master System, SEGA CD, Saturn and 3DO games.

I've long since replaced 95% of the things I'd lost, and always have an eye out for the few things I never reacquired.

I've never been one to toss, give away, sell off or trade my games, and my stuff was never packed away because I never stopped gaming.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I have most of my games from when i was a kid, some of the ones i didnt like got traded for other games while i was still younger.
    more importantly i still have all of my systems, complete, from when i was a kid. cant say many of the games are complete though

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I still have everything that wasn't looted after a house fire, or lost in Katrina, where I had most of the remaining stuff that survived the fire stored away in my mother's backyard shed.

I lost most of my original Genesis, SNES, Vectrex, and Amiga 500 games, as well as most of my system boxes, but managed to keep most or all of my SEGA Master System, SEGA CD, Saturn and 3DO games.

I've long since replaced 95% of the things I'd lost, and always have an eye out for the few things I never reacquired.

I've never been one to toss, give away, sell off or trade my games, and my stuff was never packed away because I never stopped gaming.
    Ive regretted selling or pawning 100% of the games I no longer own :-(

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

There was one point where I entertained the idea of selling childhood games. It was the late 90s, and I had never gotten into Jurassic Park on SNES. I had just learned of a local independent game store that bought and sold used games (which was a concept I was only vaguely familiar with prior, since everywhere I'd buy games only sold brand-new games). I wanted to know if they had some of the SNES RPGs I had missed out on (that's how I got Lufia II), but I also asked how much they'd pay me for Jurassic Park. I was told $6. The game had been a gift, but I knew it had cost something like $70. I couldn't stomach the idea of exchanging something my mom dropped $70 on for 6 measly bucks, especially when I had barely played it. In retrospect, I think that was a pretty pivotal moment. If they had given me a higher offer, one that I was satisfied with, I wonder what else I would've considered parting with. And many years later I would go on to play Jurassic Park to completion.

That's not to say I've never, ever sold off any games. It's mostly been dupes, but there are some instances where it was the only copy I had. I had a loose copy of Tactics Ogre for PS1 that was heavily scratched, to the point that it would often fail to load or save a file but was otherwise perfectly playable. I sunk 100 hours into the game and was near the end and deep into the bonus dungeon when my husband accidentally formatted the memory card while playing the first, Japan-only King's Field (damn you From Software for putting such an option in the in-game menu to begin with). I had been planning all along to replace my copy of Tactics Ogre with a better condition CIB copy, but I didn't even want to think about the game after losing my file, so I sold my copy and never got a replacement, unless you count the PSP remake.

And much more recently, I decided to clear out a bunch of my Limited Run Games purchases. In some cases, I was just getting rid of cover variants, while retaining one copy, and in many others, I was getting rid of a PS4 version of a game that I kept for Vita. But for some of the PS4 games, I don't have them in any other form, and I honestly don't care. It feels kind of liberating not to cling on to any game that ends up in my collection just because it ended up in my collection. I've been more and more wrapping my mind around the idea of my collection being a temporary thing. Hardware and software can break down, and it's not always worth the effort and expense to repair, especially in a world of flash carts and Raspberry Pis and such. I still hate the idea of trashing any game stuff, so I would always try to find a buyer, but yeah, the idea of trimming my collection isn't so terrible to me anymore. I'm sort of past the whole keeping up with the Jones's mentality of game collecting where everybody is going for the biggest total number of games they can manage, no matter how much shovelware and unplayed games sit in their collections.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm fortunate in that I've never cared about padding my collection with shovelware and only collect what I genuinely want to play, with maybe some novelty pieces here and there that I keep for reasons like nostalgia, sentiment, and/or them being conversation pieces.

I won't lie, I LOVE the look of physical game collections, but I much prefer a smaller organized library of media than a sprawling hoard that takes up every bit of available space in a home or room.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I'm fortunate in that I've never cared about padding my collection with shovelware and only collect what I genuinely want to play, with maybe some novelty pieces here and there that I keep for reasons like nostalgia, sentiment, and/or them being conversation pieces.

I won't lie, I LOVE the look of physical game collections, but I much prefer a smaller organized library of media than a sprawling hoard that takes up every bit of available space in a home or room.
    Best way to go about it i know i've never gone out of my way to have a complete collection for said console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Atari 2600 is discarded in 1989 after i won my Master System.

My other consoles Master System and Sega Genesis are still with me.

B - Mark