Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just bought Smash Bros Ultimate...

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Some people just like having an opportunity to compensate a developer/publisher/company as thanks for what they did enjoy in the past, even if they expect to dislike the new product. That applies especially if they bought the previous product(s) secondhand or on markdown and thus no or very little cash went to the company for the liked product.

Other people just don't mind taking a risk. I mean, realistically, you can't predict with 100% accuracy that you'll dislike something just based on which company put it out. Even if you've dislike liked many of the prior products, you could always be surprised. I mean, I'll buy just about game developed by tri-Ace. I've been let down by some of their releases, but I still have liked many too. Trying to predict which will be which is pretty much impossible, even if I heavily researched each individual title, which I don't want to do to begin with because time is money too. So I'd rather just spend the money and take my chances versus possibly missing out on some games I'd really love because I made an inaccurate prediction or possibly lose both my time AND money by spending time heavily researching a title, spending the money on it, spending even more of my time playing it, and still not liking it much in the end.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

So back on Smash Ultimate, saw something that shocked me.

Was doing a battle and got an assist trophy that I had to pause and zoom in to recognize.... and it was Mr. Wright.

Mr. Wright.... a green-haired cartoon version of Simcity creator Will Wright, who only appeared in Simcity SNES and a few Japan-only Simcity games published by Nintendo.

I mean, its nothing for an assist trophy to be kind of obscure, but its amazing to me that there weren't any copyright/legal issues preventing this character from appearing.

EDIT: Also, one of the "Spirit" characters is called "Glory of Heracles Hero." Okay, I'm assuming this is from the Nintendo DS installment (fifth main Glory of Heracles game, sixth game overall, and only one to get OFFICIAL english release, tho the rest have fan translations).... but ummm..... okay, showing my ignorance here, but if the game is called "Glory of Heracles" and he's the hero, wouldn't he be Heracles? The only GoH I've played is the first one, where you do indeed play as Heracles.

(For those not up on mythology, Heracles is the original Greek name for Hercules... for some reason, Japan always prefers his Greek name--even in their dub of the Disney movie they renamed him--but everywhere else prefers his Roman name).
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 05-01-2020 at 05:51 AM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

As far as I know, Nintendo owns the character Mr. Wright, even if it is based on Will Wright. The character is also in Link's Awakening (both the original and the remakes) as Mr. Write, and as far as I can recall, Will Wright isn't so much as in the credits for Link's Awakening.

Heracles is only the protagonist of the first Glory of Heracles and a Game Boy spin-off. He's in a support role in all the other games. It's a Legend of Zelda kind of deal. Just because a character's name is in the title doesn't mean they'll necessarily be the protagonist.

With Japan's unusual history of isolation and then rapidly absorbing information from the West via various sources, I'm guessing they learned about Greek mythology through a different source than the English-speaking world. For what it's worth, Greeks themselves, or at least Greek-Americans, who typically still speak Greek, have adapted to the Hercules spelling and pronunciation. It's actually not a terribly uncommon name to give boys of Greek ethnicity. My husband grew up knowing a few kids named Hercules.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    My husband grew up knowing a few kids named Hercules.
    So is he at a point where he goes insane every time he hears the "Jerkules" pun?

My own guess for why Japan prefers "Heracles" was that it might have something to do with their language/alphabet. Maybe "Heracles" is easier to work into their language than "Hercules" is. He-ra-ku-ri-su... ha-kyu-ri-su.... okay, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here.