Thread: Retro-Bit's Wired and Wireless Dreamcast Controllers

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Retro-Bit's Wired and Wireless Dreamcast Controllers

As a retro gamer, you maybe aware of the controllers of Retro-Bit. Working closely with Sega in recent years, the company have had unprecedented access to the original designs of the Megadrive and Saturn controllers, making 1.1 replicas and even releasing wireless versions as well as PC / Bluetooth supported device version too.

A few years ago, Retro-Bit had shown off a re-issued Dreamcast controller too, looking very close to the original design as per previous hardware peripherals, it now transpires that a new, exciting Dreamcast controller is heading our way for use on our original machines.

Take a look at this! Not only has the D-Pad been reworked to an more MD/Saturn friendly design ethic, the triggers have been repositioned, there is also now 6 buttons instead of 4, a redesigned analog stick and you can have this beauty in either wired or wireless. In our eyes, this looks to be the controller to watch out for, sure there have been various hideous attempts at changing the Dreamcast controller but Retro-Bit seem to have really nailed it here – it’s a shame there isn’t a second analog stick but I’m sure this would require compatibility in game so otherwise redundant.

Look out for these to hit the shelves in later 2020.
    Source: https://dreamcasttoday.wordpress.com...st-controller/

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

A D-pad more like those on Genesis and Saturn controllers sounds good, but I think the biggest problem I have with the controller is the overall shape itself. It's like gripping bicycle handlebars, in a super uncomfortable way. So if this has the same dimensions in the plastic shell, I'm not sure it would solve much regarding my discomfort with the Dreamcast controller.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

The analog on the original was awful. What would the extra buttons (of the 6) even map to? As with the Retro Fighters, the ONLY reason I would get either would be if they correct the terrible control on racing games like Daytona or Metropolis, which is doubtful. Also would have been nice to get one with dual Analog for FPS games.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0) ArcadePerfect's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I liked the analog controller on the Dreamcast. Actually the Dreamcast controller is one of my all-time favorite controllers and I liked that the Xbox line is pretty much a continuation of what the Dreamcast started (and also the Saturn NiGHTS controller).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ArcadePerfect For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (04-14-2020)

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I'm afraid the skin on the bottom of my left thumb did NOT like that analog!
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I always liked the DC controller.
    Having a wireless version with a six button layout would be awesome. I am assuming the extra two button just map to the L/R triggers, but still, its a welcome addition.

I could swear that when all these were unveiled at E3 several years ago, they also showed or at least mentioned a wireless Saturn Analog controller. This is what I want more than anything. Hopefully they will have an update soon!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wraith Storm For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (04-14-2020)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I never had a huge problem with the DC controller. Of course the wire coming out of the bottom was kind of annoying because it would be pulling tension inward and forcing it downward if you adjusted your position but besides that I didnt really have any issues with it. at least the analog still works, 20 years later, which cant be said about N64 analog sticks

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I have plenty of N64 controllers where the analog sticks work just fine, including my launch controller that saw me through many, many games. Worn out sticks are mostly a product of rough handling (or grinding the stick in circles for Mario Party).

Back to Dreamcast, I could be down with the extra face buttons being redundant with the trigger buttons. I almost universally hate the feel of resting my fingers on shoulder buttons. I'm curious in what way the analog stick was redesigned. It doesn't look like the positioning was altered at all, so it's still off in the middle of nowhere, leaving someone with smaller hands like myself stuck stretching to reach it and trying to manipulate it with the very tip of the thumb. I'll always lament that controller design evolved in the direction of keeping both a d-pad and analog stick on the same grip, resulting in less than optimal positioning for both. People love to dump on the N64 controller, but by having the d-pad and analog stick on separate prongs, each had a perfectly central and ergonomic positioning.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I believe the change to the analog is that it is more like modern analog control sticks such as those for the PS4, Xbox One, etc.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ArcadePerfect's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My launch N64 controllers still work perfect even after years of Mario Party 1! The best Mario Party imo.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArcadePerfect View Post
    My launch N64 controllers still work perfect even after years of Mario Party 1! The best Mario Party imo.
    then I am guessing if your analogs are fine, you can see through your palm?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    I could swear that when all these were unveiled at E3 several years ago, they also showed or at least mentioned a wireless Saturn Analog controller. This is what I want more than anything. Hopefully they will have an update soon!
    I'd be interested too.

Did anyone but me ever call the Saturn 3D controller "the Blimp"?