Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would happen if Nintendo released the next Zelda on a pre-GameCube console?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Also, just throwing this out there: A random Zelda would be one thing, but a putting a sequel to Breath of the Wild specifically on N64 would be a real slap in the face to fans of that specific Zelda. Not only because the sub-series started on Switch and should stay on Switch (or move to the Switch's successor once the Switch is done), but because Breath of the Wild plays very different from any prior Zelda. It's an open-world game, and the N64 lacks the power to retain that kind of gameplay. Breath of the Wild has a massive, expansive world, whereas the N64 Zelda games have overworlds that are tiny hubs in comparison. Breath of the Wild also has a huge amount of dungeons (albeit small ones). A N64 Breath of the Wild would be a sequel in name only and would disappoint anyone who would want more of the same.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I never liked the N64 Zelda games to begin with so I wouldn't want any more of them. If Nintendo would release the Satellaview Zelda games on the SNES officially then that would be something exciting, at least those games already exist so there wouldn't be as much development cost compared to making entirely new games. But I still doubt Nintendo would bother considering the manufacturing costs of cartridges. Maybe they'll be included in a future plug and play type console.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Best chance of Japan-only Super Famicom games seeing English release is the Switch Online service. I believe they somewhat recently put Pop'n TwinBee on there, and that's the first time it's ever been available officially in North America.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I never liked the N64 Zelda games to begin with so I wouldn't want any more of them. If Nintendo would release the Satellaview Zelda games on the SNES officially then that would be something exciting, at least those games already exist so there wouldn't be as much development cost compared to making entirely new games. But I still doubt Nintendo would bother considering the manufacturing costs of cartridges. Maybe they'll be included in a future plug and play type console.
    Is it any different than labels going back to vinyl though? I imagine it's more expensive to make an LP than it is to make a CD.

I think if Nintendo sold them at $150, lots of people would buy them. And Im sure like most Nintendo products, you wouldnt even be able to get a copy. You underestimate how popular vintage tech is and how much money people are willing to blow on it. but as always the CEOs dont have a clue what fans want.

And ok maybe not a sequel to BotW but how about a sequel or prequel to MM or OoT? id be willing to spend $120 on that, possibly more, for a standard edition brand new copy. Why? Because I know I will get 100+ hours out of it easily and it is a game I can pass down to my kids when I leave this planet, and because Id be supporting a product I believe in that isnt going to require bullshit updates, patches, DLC

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Id be supporting a product I believe in that isnt going to require bullshit updates, patches, DLC
    Unlike the different revisions of Ocarina of Time and then the Master Quest? At least the Breath of the Wild updates/patches are free, not requiring somebody to drop another $60 buying the same cart all over again, and at least the DLC is only $20, as opposed to having to buying an entirely new system and preorder an entirely different game at full MSRP to get the Master Quest version of the game.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Is it any different than labels going back to vinyl though?
    Yes there's a difference, as vinyl is still a widely accepted format that never fully disappeared and new players are still manufactured with parts and servicing of existing players still widely available. And artists would be recording their music anyway, vinyl is just the manufacturing cost.

What you're suggesting is more like labels deciding to start releasing 8-Track tapes again, after also deciding to start manufacturing new 8-Track players as nobody else is still making them. Also they'll be first forming a new boy band consisting of established professionals(at their expense) and would pay them to write and perform new music, in a genre like Gospel Country instead of what's currently popular.

I think if Nintendo sold them at $150, lots of people would buy them. And Im sure like most Nintendo products, you wouldnt even be able to get a copy. You underestimate how popular vintage tech is and how much money people are willing to blow on it. but as always the CEOs dont have a clue what fans want.
    It would cost around 5-10 million dollars to make the game first, maybe more or possibly less. It would be difficult to find anyone who can still program for the N64 as that's so outdated technology wise and few people who programmed N64 games would still be working for Nintendo today. They'd basically have to train programmers at their expense which would be on top of that. It's not the same as programming a new game for current systems or PCs, modern indie studios can produce content much cheaper though. Then add the cost of manufacturing the game to cartridges in a format that's currently no longer produced, and the cost of manufacturing new consoles that aren't produced either.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Unlike the different revisions of Ocarina of Time and then the Master Quest? At least the Breath of the Wild updates/patches are free, not requiring somebody to drop another $60 buying the same cart all over again, and at least the DLC is only $20, as opposed to having to buying an entirely new system and preorder an entirely different game at full MSRP to get the Master Quest version of the game.
    Master Quest was basically a remake of Ocarina of Time, it wasn't just an update or a patch. It's more like the PS4 Resident Evil games compared to the PS1 versions, those aren't a patch either.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Its be a massive gamble but I think theyd still profit. I brought this up to ReviewTechUSA and he seemed to agree that an N64 Zelda would be massively popular. He's an industry commentator on Youtube.

BUT- I agree completely that Nintendo probably will never do it for a multitude of reasons including the fact that they want to support the hardware they produce that they already are taking a loss on

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Master Quest was basically a remake of Ocarina of Time, it wasn't just an update or a patch. It's more like the PS4 Resident Evil games compared to the PS1 versions, those aren't a patch either.
    I was comparing Master Quest to DLC, not to patches/updates. It uses all the same assets as Ocarina of Time and is the same game in terms of story/progression. It just has rearranged dungeons. It's basically the same concept as the first game's second quest. These days, stuff like the Master Quest is often available as DLC (sometimes free, sometimes paid), as an additional mode. But given the technology at the time of the N64, there was no way to just add the content to the carts people had already bought. Had it actually been released for the 64DD, getting access to it would've required an expensive add-on, and I imagine it would've been sold as a full-price game. Instead, we first got it for GameCube, but again, you had to buy expensive new hardware, and since it was a preorder bonus for Wind Waker, you had to buy that game at full price to get it. Much later, it was included with the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time, but again, you need to buy new hardware and another full-price game. On top of that, you have to beat the original version of Ocarina of Time first to access the Master Quest on 3DS, so people who had already completed Ocarina of Time on N64 couldn't just immediately jump into the Master Quest.

Meanwhile, Breath of the Wild's DLC is only an extra $20. You don't have to buy a new system, you don't have to buy a new full-price game, and you don't have to replay the game to access the content. A lot of people love to vilify digital gaming, whether we're talking full games released that way or additional/updated content (patches/updates/DLC) released digitally, but it allows for conveniences and affordability that were impossible in the past.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 05-15-2020 at 07:36 AM.