Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would happen if Nintendo released the next Zelda on a pre-GameCube console?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default What would happen if Nintendo released the next Zelda on a pre-GameCube console?

Really this question is for any major company still producing consoles and any series but Im using a well known example.

Say Nintendo announced that the sequel to Breath of the Wild would be an EXCLUSIVE to the Nintendo 64.

1) How much would the game cost?

2) Would stores carry it? And if so, which ones? What section would they carry it in since its divided between Switch, X1, and PS4 right now.

3) What would consumer reaction be?

4) Would the prices of used N64s skyrocket?

5) Would Nintendo start manufacturing N64 consoles in order to meet demand?

6) How fast would it sell out?

7) Critics' reactions?

8) Reactions of young fans of the series who may have only played Zelda on newer consoles?

9) Would it be pirated? Would people put this game on their Ever Drives like they do with everything else?

10) Would other companies follow suit?

11) Would there be renewed interest in N64 games in general (moreso than now)?

12) What kind of warranty would there be?

13) Could/would it lead to a future where new games are produced on old hardware and compete against the Switch?

I know there's a snowballs chance in Hell of this happening but itd be interesting to see what would happen. Id love an N64 sequel to Majora's Mask or OoT

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I would imagine consumer/critic/fan/etc. reaction would be "That's fucking stupid." It would be heavily pirated because most people wouldn't care to track down old, used hardware to play a new game, let alone a new game that's severely limited by its hardware compared to modern hardware, though some would take interest, and prices of N64 stuff probably would go up in general. Price would be impacted by whatever it'd cost to open facilities that could manufacture official N64 carts again. The warranty would be limited considering Nintendo can't guarantee hardware that's 20+ years old won't somehow fry the new carts. If Nintendo made new systems, they'd be some sort of simplified clone. Nintendo probably has enough clout to get stores to carry it, and they'd probably be sold as some sort of novelty. I don't think it would change the future of gaming or influence other companies to any significant degree. There's a niche market for mini versions of retro consoles, homebrews, and what have you, but most gamers want games to take advantage of powerful, modern hardware, and most game developers want the fewer restrictions of modern hardware too. I mean, there's a reason why the N64 was made to begin with, instead of just endlessly releasing games on SNES or NES. A big part of why Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were successful is because they were pushing the limits of what home console hardware could do at the time and gave players experiences unlike what they ever had before.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

They kinda have never stopped releasing SNES games endlessly. The last American SNES game came out 2 years after its successor. And the last Japanese SNES game came out 2 years after its successor's successor. And there have been lots of games released for the system as homebrews, hacks, and now even licensed re-prints. The only thing that stopped is the games showing up in brick and mortar stores as well as the official Nintendo license.

I just think there is a vast audience for new (good) N64 titles. I think a lot of people who are really into the Switch would line up outside stores for a new N64 Zelda/Mario/Metroid game. I probably would

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

The closest (official) thing you're going to get to something like that is unreleased games, like with Starfox 2 . Or maybe someone along the lines of a Super Fighter Team getting rights to games and then releasing them on older consoles.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I doubt this will ever happen, they're still in the hardware business so they want people to keep buying their new hardware. I doubt they even still have development hardware around for new games to still be programmed efficiently, or at least that their current programmers won't know how to code for such old hardware in enough numbers for development to be efficient.

You would expect them to start manufacturing N64 consoles again? That's basically what Sega did with the 32X and Saturn, dividing their userbase, and it didn't work out well for them.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Really this question is for any major company still producing consoles and any series but Im using a well known example.

Say Nintendo announced that the sequel to Breath of the Wild would be an EXCLUSIVE to the Nintendo 64.
    You mean they didn't in your timeline? In mine it was massively panned for only having five shrines.

1) How much would the game cost?
    $200 plus tax, tho the re-release on Dreamcast was only $50. The Neo-Geo version caused rioting in the streets.

2) Would stores carry it? And if so, which ones? What section would they carry it in since its divided between Switch, X1, and PS4 right now.
    Amazon exclusive.

3) What would consumer reaction be?
    PEOPLE DIED.

4) Would the prices of used N64s skyrocket?
    I was able to put my kids through college with a spare N64...

5) Would Nintendo start manufacturing N64 consoles in order to meet demand?
    Nope.

6) How fast would it sell out?
    Six hours after it was announced. I had to live with just youtube videos.

7) Critics' reactions?
    ONLY FIVE SHRINES.

8) Reactions of young fans of the series who may have only played Zelda on newer consoles?
    ZORAS NOT SEXY ENOUGH.

9) Would it be pirated? Would people put this game on their Ever Drives like they do with everything else?
    You pretty much had to.

10) Would other companies follow suit?
    It wound up being the thing that made Sega decide to get back into consoles and the Dreamcast 2 thoroughly trounced the Switch in 2023.

11) Would there be renewed interest in N64 games in general (moreso than now)?
    People wound up remembering how good Goldeneye was so much that Eon Films preferred to build a Pierce Brosnan robot and have that be the next James Bond rather than keep the Daniel Craig train going.

12) What kind of warranty would there be?
    Game manufacturers now have to warn people about the nanites....

13) Could/would it lead to a future where new games are produced on old hardware and compete against the Switch?
    That doesn't already happen in your world?

I know there's a snowballs chance in Hell of this happening but itd be interesting to see what would happen. Id love an N64 sequel to Majora's Mask or OoT
    Wait, you never played the third N64 game, which took the infamously odd choice of being based on the Zelda animated series from the 1980s? Best game in the whole series, that one.

[Suddenly reality begins to bend around Edmond and he hits the "post" button before the Mandella Effect erases everything]

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Most successful systems have some really late releases that come out past the hardware's successor. But the rate of releases past that point is drastically lower, as are the sales, and it's only profitable on an official scale for so long (and is why those late releases are often low-budget releases too). By the time homebrews and other releases that aren't fully licensed come along, it's even more niche, with even lower sales.

I mean, even with as huge as the Fire Emblem series has always been in Japan, the third Super Famicom Fire Emblem, which was a very late release, was produced in small quantities and saw low sales, a stark difference from the first Super Famicom Fire Emblem, which came out when the system was still very alive and active and sold like gangbusters, staying at the top of the sales charts in Japan for like half a year or some such.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I doubt this will ever happen, they're still in the hardware business so they want people to keep buying their new hardware. I doubt they even still have development hardware around for new games to still be programmed efficiently, or at least that their current programmers won't know how to code for such old hardware in enough numbers for development to be efficient.

You would expect them to start manufacturing N64 consoles again? That's basically what Sega did with the 32X and Saturn, dividing their userbase, and it didn't work out well for them.
    The 32X was also a mushroom that was hard to assemble, required additional outlet space. a better comparison would be the Dreamcast competing against the Master System. Which is plausible especially considering Brazil kept getting SMS games for quite some time.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

It's not like Brazilians are particularly fond of retro technology. It's just that their market is so different from ours, due to government regulations on imported goods, that modern systems are generally not available at all until years after they are in Japan, North America, Europe, etc., and when they are available, they're ridiculously expensive, even more so in comparison to the average Brazilian's salary. So far a lot of Brazilians, their choices are to go without games at all or they can accept playing cheap outdated tech.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Comparing two separate unrelated markets is kind of dumb, unless he was implying that the N64 would now be sold in a separate area with no other consoles available from anyone else. Within the same region, Sega did try marketing multiple systems/platforms at the same time and it failed. The 32X interfered with Saturn sales, the Saturn would have sold much better if they would have tried phasing out the Genesis at that point(I still prefer the Genesis personally). I see no reason why it's not valid comparison. Or there's the comparison with Atari and their various systems, with the 2600 surviving longer than it's successors.

The only time when multiple systems are for sale at the same time are during the transitional time between generations. It would be neat if Nintendo started making and manufacturing new games for old systems like the NES or SNES but it doesn't make sense from a business perspective, the closest we have are the NES classic or SNES classic systems which are mostly novelties.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I think it makes sense from a business perspective and the comparison to the 32X is invalid because the 32X was a piece of shit.

secondly, foreign markets are a valid comparison when you stop thinking that Westerners are somehow different from the rest of the world. If Japanese people like playing SNES games well after the consoles initial release believe me when I say Americans will as well. If Nintendo starting releasing SNES or NES games again and made say Super Mario Bros. 4 on the NES, it would be one of the best selling video games of all time.
    Last edited by gbpxl; 05-05-2020 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I think it makes sense from a business perspective and the comparison to the 32X is invalid because the 32X was a piece of shit.
    That's some great reasoning you've got there.

secondly, foreign markets are a valid comparison when you stop thinking that Westerners are somehow different from the rest of the world.
    Hey, Japanese people love playing games in Japanese, that means they should just release games untranslated for western markets. After all, we're not different from the rest of the world!

(You can call that a reducto ad absurdium but it IS basically what you wound up suggesting, especially since other people DID outline the unique situations places like Brazil had which made older tech viable in those areas).

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    That's some great reasoning you've got there.

Hey, Japanese people love playing games in Japanese, that means they should just release games untranslated for western markets. After all, we're not different from the rest of the world!

(You can call that a reducto ad absurdium but it IS basically what you wound up suggesting, especially since other people DID outline the unique situations places like Brazil had which made older tech viable in those areas).
    2020 is a lot different from 1995. Trying to have the 32X compete as a "low-budget upgrade" for customers who didn't want to spend the full price for a Saturn is perhaps one of the most idiotic moves in video game history. These days a lot of gamers want to buy games for older hardware. They wouldn't be competing against Switch products the way that the 32X was competing against the Saturn. I would say a better example would be if I had suggested Nintendo start releasing Wii U games to compete against the Switch.

Yes Brazilians may not have had as many choices but still, if they enjoy playing 8 bit games well into the 2000s, it stands to reason that non-Brazilians would as well, more choices notwithstanding.

I cant comment on the "untranslated" thing, I have no idea what youre even referring to or why you think someone would be saying that they shouldnt translate games.

I think a lot of people dont realize how popular vintage games are. Old video game tech has seen a resurgence lately in the same way that vinyl has. people drop thousands of dollars on old cartridges and to this day, Super Mario Bros for the NES still sells online every day

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Not even possible to make a new N64. No chips exist to use. NES Mini had more powerful hardware than Wii. As much ram as a PS3. That was the cheapest hardware they could get. Even the clone systems use emulation. Be more expensive and very difficult to have custom parts that are as low as the N64 power level.
    Last edited by Ryudo; 05-09-2020 at 02:36 AM.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Yes Brazilians may not have had as many choices but still, if they enjoy playing 8 bit games well into the 2000s, it stands to reason that non-Brazilians would as well, more choices notwithstanding.
    Sorry, you can't just discount very relevant things (like more choices) because you didn't want to account for them.

I cant comment on the "untranslated" thing, I have no idea what youre even referring to or why you think someone would be saying that they shouldnt translate games.
    [facepalm]

Okay, let me try to explain this very slowly.

Your statement was "if they like a thing in other parts of the world, they'll like it in America."

I was attempting to show how silly that thought process was by pointing out the most obvious example of something that would not fly in America.

I was hoping that if you can see it in one case, you'd start to see it in others as well. But apparently you've got this segmented way of thinking where Subject A is Subject A and never has any overlap at all with other subjects. Just letting you know now... this isn't normal. Most people can see overlap between subjects in a field.

(or, to use a metaphor: most people who learn its bad to get into accidents with other cars also assume its just as bad to get into accidents involving trucks, diesels or airplanes).

I think a lot of people dont realize how popular vintage games are. Old video game tech has seen a resurgence lately in the same way that vinyl has. people drop thousands of dollars on old cartridges and to this day, Super Mario Bros for the NES still sells online every day
    Oh people DO realize, and this is why you see retro-style games, but as for whole new games for old hardware? Well, that actually happens as well (look up Gunlord or Sydney Hunter)... its just that its understood these are gonna be niche products primarily for collectors, not something with mass market appeal.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that just because WE would buy these things, that everyone would.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

2020 is a lot different from 1995.
    And yet you're saying they should start manufacturing N64 consoles again, a mid-90's console.

These days a lot of gamers want to buy games for older hardware. They wouldn't be competing against Switch products the way that the 32X was competing against the Saturn. I would say a better example would be if I had suggested Nintendo start releasing Wii U games to compete against the Switch.
    So buying used games for their older systems isn't competing with their Virtual Console or eShop releases of their older games? Would releasing new desirable games on an old system convince them to not buy their new current system? Nintendo wants people to think that if they want new games to play that they'll need to buy new hardware to access those games. Maybe as a single novelty like how they rereleased their Ball Game and Watch handheld a few years back but that's it, so a limited promo item available online only, but that's rereleasing a title rather than developing a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Oh people DO realize, and this is why you see retro-style games, but as for whole new games for old hardware? Well, that actually happens as well (look up Gunlord or Sydney Hunter)... its just that its understood these are gonna be niche products primarily for collectors, not something with mass market appeal.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that just because WE would buy these things, that everyone would.
    It really comes down to price, not just a basic demand for playing these games. There would be demand to buy these games, but what would consumers be willing to pay? Manufacturing cartridges is much more expensive than manufacturing discs, would gamers or collectors be willing to pay $60-$100+ for a new game to play? Even having to program new games would have a large production cost as they would be developing these new games too. Would they still be able to sell 500,000+ copies like they used to when the console was current? This just won't happen. Most people interested would maybe pay $20 for a copy.

What I could possibly see happening is if Nintendo eventually allowed other developers to produce games on their old consoles, but only for disc based systems and they would still get a royalty for every copy sold as well as having an initial licensing fee. This would still involve manufacturing games though but on a cheaper medium than cartridges, and it's still a long shot. It's more likely Sega could go this route as they no longer produce consoles.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

in 95 you didnt have people worshipping old consoles. in 2020 you do.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Limited Run Games HAS released or re-released stuff on old cart systems, but Nintendo would never do something official on a system they haven't supported in 2 decades or more.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Limited Run Games HAS released or re-released stuff on old cart systems, but Nintendo would never do something official on a system they haven't supported in 2 decades or more.
    they should

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Zelda, meh. But I don't think they'd release a new game on an old console. Maybe a third party could make a Zelda knockoff on an old console, but Nintendo tends to be an asshole about copyright.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.