Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Holy Crap! Digital Press is Poppin!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Steam
    c2po123

I thought it was that someone gave just a sole copy of Mortal Kombat II for Genesis to someone? I seem to remember that as well as a gift.

Coming here makes me nostalgic, especially the site design. Love the black on red. (No, seriously.) All DP needs now is an 88x31 button that you can use to link people to here.

Maybe one day Web 1.0 will make a resurgence. I can't stand Social media.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I can remember it was September of 2010 when the big technical hiccups hit the board. My life was going through some big changes at the time and the loss of something so familiar might have affected me. It's undoubtedly impressive that it managed to pull through and endure – my contributions to the old Classicgaming.com forums have long been obliterated, and likewise the-underdogs.org, and I don't think the xkcd forums are coming back.

But I feel a little weary of Internet commentary in general these days. Maybe I'm getting old and don't have the patience that I used to, or maybe people out there are just a lot nastier now. Certainly, I haven't done any physical game trading in years.

I came by here today because I was looking for an old post I might have made somewhere about some old Windows 3.x Internet software I used to use whose name presently escapes me. (Was it SmarTerm? ETA: It was Softerm Plus! Thanks, eVolt.)
    Last edited by Jorpho; 07-05-2020 at 11:59 PM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    But I feel a little weary of Internet commentary in general these days. Maybe I'm getting old and don't have the patience that I used to, or maybe people out there are just a lot nastier now.
    I totally feel you on that one, both in the weariness and the wondering of how much is a matter of my own perspective versus objective reality. I definitely have a lower tolerance level for childish behavior (from myself included) than I did back in my 20s, but on the other hand, I do think online discourse has genuinely gotten nastier, more divisive, and more negative on the whole. When I think about, say, trolling, what I saw a 15-20 years ago was mostly playful ball-busting. These days, it's often straight up bullying and harassment, stuff with real-life consequences even. Thankfully, this forum is still mostly spared of the ills of modern social media, but even here I feel the atmosphere is less positive than it used to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YoshiDM
    PSN
    YoshiDM
    3DS Friend
    0860-4642-4923

We had some nasties years back but typically the denizens of DP blasted them out in some form or another (the "Gary Shandling" manuever seemed especially powerful, each troll post followed by a response of "Gary Shandling", which drove the troll nuts).

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've been here since 2002. I rarely post although I'm more active on Gametz or Video Game sage forums. it's fun looking back at past for sale threads and seeing how cheap(compared to now) I was selling games for. I like that Gametz has a record of all my trades too. I've been fortunate to have picked up pretty much everything retro I'll ever want. I enjoy lurking and reading new threads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How is GameTZ these days? My days of physical trading largely came to an end after I encountered a colossal jerk there a few years ago. I would name him, except he has my physical address and I would half-expect him to swat me or something.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't post anywhere near as often as I used to, but I do pop in every so often to read the most recently updated threads. I do miss the old days of forums. Social media is total garbage.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    How is GameTZ these days? My days of physical trading largely came to an end after I encountered a colossal jerk there a few years ago. I would name him, except he has my physical address and I would half-expect him to swat me or something.
    It's slowed down quite a bit like most forums have. You've got me curious as to who the jerk was lol. I remember trading with you in person like 15 years ago

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I don't post anywhere near as often as I used to, but I do pop in every so often to read the most recently updated threads. I do miss the old days of forums. Social media is total garbage.
    I too miss the old days of active forums. I'm not big on social media at all myself

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Yeah, 12 Days of DP Christmas sounds right to me. I couldn't remember if the avatar contest was part of the 12 day's contest, but it probably was. I actually won the grand prize when I was a new member and it's one of the reasons I stuck around. I sorta felt obligated, haha.
    I'm pretty sure my first post here was to reply to one day of the Christmas contest, and I won that day's contest. I would have registered sooner but I'm always nervous of registering accounts online. The avatar contest was part of the 12 day contest, it was always holiday themed.

Besides the annual Christmas contest there was also a monthly contest here where 1 second of video game music played and you had to identify which game it was and possibly which console too. It doesn't seem like anybody remembers this contest even though it ran for years back when the forum was really popular.