Thread: Tony Hawk 1 + 2 remake

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Tony Hawk 1 + 2 remake

I dont have any of the new systems but it still sounds kinda cool. The THPS games were at their best during the 1 and 2 era in my opinion. the games were somewhat wholesome/family friendly. Id never want my kids to play 3/4/THUG, etc. Plus I have a lot of memories playing these games on the Dreamcast with my siblings. S-K-A-T-E was always fun. I liked that these games lacked the reverts which made it so that you had to think harder about where to go to in a given level as opposed to finding the nearest half-pipe or pool and just string together massive combos. In the first 2 Tony Hawks, the levels were more spread out and a lot of times youd have to work for a higher score, it felt like. Plus the soundtrack on these games were better than the newer ones and it sounds like they will mostly be intact with the remakes

Lots of 90s classics getting remade these days. probably a good thing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

The remake looks like it uses the balancing system seen in latter THPS games. What little I saw of it on an episode of Jack Black's game YouTube channel, it looks like a very pretty version of THPS 2X.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

As long as they avoid the THPS5 mechanics, this game should do well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    KingOfPain95

I grew up playing the series, which at the same time, was an introduction to skateboarding & punk rock music/culture for me. I'm def picking this up later on this year on either PS4/Switch with the new Samurai Jack game. I really hope all the secret characters/cheats stay intact for the remakes, that was endless fun for middle school me.

Plus Drug Church tweeted that they got a song on the soundtrack too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Yesterday my daughter was playing some Roblox skating game which didn't look all that well put together. It seemed as though there were different keys to perform different tricks, thoughI was looking around the screen and couldn't quite see the help menu at the time. I said "let me show you a REAL skating game"and I unearthed my Xbolx with "Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X" on it.

I didn't have a career set up on the machine yet, so I just ripped through the hanger level, scoring a decent 15,000 points after not playing the game in a long time. While my daughter stuck to her Roblox (she didn't have to share with her siblings), my step daughter who's about the same age surfed the virtual turf and didn't do too bad. My son tried his hand and just had fun rolling around the place. I tried my hand at unlocking another level, which awakened my slumbering skills but I didn't have the time to rack up the cash.

So I'm kinda interested in this new retread but it makes me wonder, is this going to be the future of "new" games for a while? We've got reworks like "Link's Awakening", "Command and Conquer" and "Warcarft III" that recently came out (to mixed reviews of the latter games). Speaking of Warcraft, there was even a resurrection of the classic version of "World of Warcraft". Is this a trend of doing something that's potentially easier and faster to do in order to snag some nostalgia cash? With development times starting to ratchet up to literal years, are these companies refreshing their back catalogs to get anything to market while they have teams work on the "Next Big Thing (TM)"?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I think it's a combination of a nostalgia cash grab and just the name recognition, both for younger gamers and their parents. We older gamers are in a unique position in that we were born around when video games were first taking off, if not before, so we had the opportunity to check out most games when they originally came out. But now there are teenage gamers who weren't even born yet when games in the early 00s were coming out, let alone the decades of gaming before that. So for them, there are probably tons of big-name games they've heard of but never played. They won't necessarily play the original versions, but if there's a modernized version, they recall hearing that the game/series was good. And then you got parents who can feel more confident buying something they themselves are familiar with than something totally new. I know when I've shopped for games for my nephew, I've considered stuff like the Crash and Spyro remasters because I know they should be at least pretty good, going off of my experience with the original versions, and that they're age-appropriate.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Yay! More drab grey and brown environments...in HD! 😏

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I'm interested for sure. I recently tried out Twitch streaming. You know how you have to turn off the music when streaming because of copyright? No problem, I used a splitter to play my band's rock music through the recording while keeping the game sound fx and it fit the first THPS game pretty well. I think I'll keep doing it to promote my music.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]