Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delisted digital only games collectable?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Delisted digital only games collectable?

Hey gang,

So over the years I've acquired some consoles which hold digital only games that have been delisted from their online networks.

So a few questions for my fellow Collectors...

Is it worth holding on to these consoles for these delisted games? Aside from piracy, this would be the only legitimate way of playing many of these games. Are digital only games considered collectable? Is there a collector scene for digital only games that I'm not aware of?

That all being said, It's really hard to part with these consoles, because I may never find that game again. But at the same time, there starting to pile up.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Best,

-Retro

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

That is pretty tough. I will say that when a digital game gets removed that also has a physical copy available, the physical usually goes up depending on the game. I think Godzilla for PS4 is probably one of the more clear examples of this. I personally, as a collector, wouldn't want to load up on systems to have the de-listed games. There may already be a market for it now that I don't know about. Best way I would think is to search ebay and see what kinds of things have sold that are similar to what you have.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'll ditto that delisted games can have an impact on the value of physical versions, if they exist, but I'm not aware of systems containing delisted digital-only games being worth more. The problem there is that, if you're interested in those games, you'd probably have a hard time finding a system with all of the games you want on it, and few would want to buy multiple systems just to have access to a handful of different games on each. On top of that, for some platforms, providing a buyer with access to your digital library would mean relinquishing your account to them. Honestly, when it gets to the point where a digital-only game is delisted, I think most people don't have any qualms about emulating. When there's literally no way to pay the publisher for an official copy, you're not really hurting them by emulating, unless you're doing so in lieu of buying a different game.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Well, the entire library of virtual console on Wii and Live Arcade on 360, for instance, are "obtainable" if you have a modded console. Those are smaller games though. If we're talking about disc-based games which wind up downloading most of their content, ehhhh, those are tough to pass along.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I think most gamers who are interested in stuff like WiiWare and Wii VC games know it's a relatively simple matter to gain access to everything. What gets tricky is when people want to play copies of these games that were obtained legally (and/or if they want to keep their system unmodded).

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The only way legit downloaded games will become valuable is if there's no other way to get them, like pirating them isn't possible for some reason. If piracy is an option then that's what people will do, I don't see any tangible value in a non-physical game so I wouldn't pay for a used downloaded copy. If the game makers can't be bothered with keeping their games available for purchase then I see little reason to bother trying to pay for them either.

As for not wanting to mod your console, just get an additional console for modding. It's more reasonable than stacking up numerous used consoles each with some legit downloaded games.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

you cant transfer all the games onto 1 console and sell the duplicate consoles?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Well LRG has built an entire business on keeping many of these games available with disc based re-releases, haven't they? As I said, I have no problem with "piracy" for systems that are no longer supported, and if modding it is a means to an end, sadly, it's often the only choice. It's been obvious for years and years that when you download something you do not own it like you do physical media, so that's that.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Now that I think about it a bit more, is it even legal to own the games by buying used consoles with "legit" copies? Are you allowed to sell or transfer ownership of digital only games? It's like selling a Steam account, I'm pretty sure you still can't transfer the games that way even if it's technically possible. So is buying a used console with a downloaded game just as legal as pirating a copy onto your existing console?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ahh, thanks for all the well educated replys! I asked the same question over on another forum and the reply's were less then stellar.

Anyhow, the console in question here is the Wii and the 3DS mostly. Someone above mentioned copying the games from one console to another, which would awesome, but unfortunately these digital only games are tied to the console they were purchased on. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I bought like 30 XBLA games when they first came out. years later i tried to get back into my account to re download them. had to use an old email address. couldnt remember password so had to have them text me on a phone number I no longer had. tried filling out the form to prove that I was me but they didnt believe me. yeah fuck digital

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Retromangia View Post
    Ahh, thanks for all the well educated replys! I asked the same question over on another forum and the reply's were less then stellar.

Anyhow, the console in question here is the Wii and the 3DS mostly. Someone above mentioned copying the games from one console to another, which would awesome, but unfortunately these digital only games are tied to the console they were purchased on. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    You are correct. I want to say you can transfer stuff from 3ds to 3ds but the transfer "marries" the software to the device it was transferred to.

Though with the Wii you can mod it and get the digital software. It's not hard to get as it's on an...archive...somewhere last I looked.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One example I found is a Wii with a copy of My Pokemon Ranch installed. Is this a great game? Not at all. But it's Pokemon, and was only available as a Wiiware Download. I also have another console with Frogger Returns, which turns out is also available on PSN for now (and was once on DSiware).

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I know Steam requires users to agree not to sell their account in order to register an account, so if their terms of service are legally binding, then it would be illegal in that regard. Same goes if Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, etc. have similar terms. But in lieu of those terms, I don't think there would be anything illegal about it. I don't think selling an account would be in violation of copyright law. It'd be akin to selling a used game, which is a practice publishers aren't particularly happy about, since they see no revenue from that transaction and would rather everyone have to buy games brand-new, but it's something they have to begrudgingly tolerate.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Along the same vein of delisted digital game discussion, is there anyone else who has an interest in version 1.0 software for the newer consoles? It sounds goofy but I really liked the "blades" menu for the Xbox 360 that was standard when it came out in 2005. I was pissed when I upgraded the firmware and it went to the "floating boxes" design.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

People mostly want old firmware for the sake of installing custom firmware. Me, I'm sometimes disappointed by some of the changes made when firmware updates, but I wouldn't trade all the benefits of updating for whatever old aspect I liked. With visual elements, I find it's usually just of matter of me being used to one thing, and that creates my preference. Once I get used to the new look, I generally find the functionality no worse.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Another thing I thought of is music that is never released on physical format. There was a band from Argentina whose music I liked and I couldnt find a CD of their music. You could download (and pay) for the MP3s at least. I wonder if those would be considered sought after if the band takes down the links or something

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

There would probably be no way to prove a mp3 was a legit purchase, and even if it was, selling it or even distributing it would still be considered piracy (unless it was offered as something free to share by the artist/publisher). But I think you'd be hard-pressed trying to find someone willing to buy "secondhand" mp3s. Even obscure music is often pretty widely shared and easy enough to find and download.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I wasnt even thinking about monetary value, I couldnt care less about that

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If you're just talking interest, I don't think most people would like music any more just because official links to it have been removed. If there were news stories drawing attention to an artist pulling down their links, it might get some people to download, but I don't people think would regard it as anything special to have those mp3s on their PC considering they can be downloaded and copied infinitely.

Then again, I have seen people brag about their ROM "collections" once in a great while. Some people are weird.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 05-25-2020 at 09:07 AM.