Thread: Pac-Man turns 40 today

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Pac-Man turns 40 today

Pac-Man was released in Japan 40 years ago, on May 22nd, 1980. According to CNN at least

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/pa...ory/index.html

I don't remember my first encounter with the guy formerly known as Puck Man. I remember playing Pac-Man 2 for the SNES and there was the arcade version of either the original or Ms. Pac-Man in there. There was a cocktail version of the original at the local pizza place. That would've been circa 1994. I don't know if I would've played anything earlier than that. I know I never saw the stand-up version as a kid and wouldve been too small to play it anyways.

What are your earliest memories of Pac-Man?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

My earliest memory of Pac-Man is playing this thing: http://www.liquidcrystal.co.nz/watches/nelsonic-pacman/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

My earliest memory of Pac-man is probably watching the Saturday morning cartoon show. Either that, or playing the 2600 version at my grandmas house. I don't think I actually played the arcade until years later. Though I did play Super Pac-man pretty regularly in the late 80's because my cousins got the cocktail cabinet for Christmas one year.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Insert Coin (Level 0) ArcadePerfect's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Pac-Man was released in Japan 40 years ago, on May 22nd, 1980. According to CNN at least

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/pa...ory/index.html

I don't remember my first encounter with the guy formerly known as Puck Man. I remember playing Pac-Man 2 for the SNES and there was the arcade version of either the original or Ms. Pac-Man in there. There was a cocktail version of the original at the local pizza place. That would've been circa 1994. I don't know if I would've played anything earlier than that. I know I never saw the stand-up version as a kid and wouldve been too small to play it anyways.

What are your earliest memories of Pac-Man?
    Pac-Man 2 is one of my all time favorite games, would love a sequel to it. Even though there's a lot of 'point and click' genre games, there's nothing else like it really. Exceptionally unique & creative. The facial expressions capture the imagination in your youth, like a walking interactive cartoon.

The later 3D games are also cool but none of them seemed to bring the universe to life (Pac-Man's family, various towns, his very persona) as perfectly as Pac-Man 2 imo. It's kind of a 16-Bit semi-sequel to Pac-Land in a way but way, way more in-depth. Was a big fan of the original first volume of Namco Museum Collection btw, found it innovative.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've always heard that Pac-Man 2 is similar to the Wonder Project J series, which is one of my very favorites. I still need to pick up a copy sometime.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

The official Pac-Man site has the 40th as tomorrow May 22, ha ha.

https://www.pacman.com/en/

I don't have a clear memory, but I definitely recall going to kiddie arcades back in the early 80's and playing Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man as they were easy for me to figure out. When we finally got the Atari 2600 2nd or 3rd hand in 1983-84, I played the Tod Frye port all the time.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Tomorrow is today in Japan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was born in 1980 and, of course, I remember seeing Pac-Man everywhere growing up. I was seemingly always in an arcade, pizza place or burger joint with arcade games, but somehow I never once played Pac-Man as a kid. Always thought it looked cool, though.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Happy Birthday, Puck-Man!

Pac-Man himself turns 40 today, but the Pac-Man name doesn't turn 40 until later this year. The original release from May 22, 1980 was called "Puck-Man", it was changed to Pac-Man for the international release. I think "Pac-Man" was announced for the USA market on November 22, 1980, so the name dates to some time between May and November 1980.

The name was changed from Puck-Man to Pac-Man because Namco/Midway were worried that people would scratch out part of the "P" in Puck Man, and "Fac-Man" isn't funny or obscene.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.