Thread: Wow, Silent Hill games are suddenly expensive

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Wow, Silent Hill games are suddenly expensive

So I just checked on ebay, I have the funds now so I thought I'd finally get Silent Hills 3 and 4...

.... Only to find both are going for triple-digits now.

Like, they were kinda pricey before, but usually only $40-$60. What the hell?

My best guess is that everyone got their stimulus checks and ebay hikers are trying to prey on that.

As for me though... not paying those prices for these games I'm not even sure I'm gonna like (Especially SH4 which is apparently VERY love-it-or-hate-it).

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'm glad I have most of the Silent Hill games then, PS2 and previous at least. I don't have Shattered Memories or Origins though, didn't they have poor reviews when they came out? I originally thought about selling Silent Hill 4 but I'm glad I held onto it then. I still haven't played through any of these games yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

From what I understand, the consensus is all four of the Team Silent era = good, everything after that = okay to garbage. (Although within the Team Silent era, SH4 is considered the LEAST good).

I might go ahead and get Origins and Shattered Memories soon personally, since A) those are both for the PS2 and thus don't require me to get a new console and B) coincidentally they're also the only two post-Team Silent games that have any sort of fans or defenders. Shattered Memories especially seems to be considered a bit of a cult classic within the series.

Homecoming is pretty much universally hated, while Downpour's biggest claim to fame is "its at least a competent game." Being someone who only knows these latter games through reviews/summary videos (since I never owned a PS3 I felt it was safe to spoiler myself), Downpour especially always struck me as a typical example of trying to tell a mature story without really understanding how that works, so what you get is a lot of obvious manipulation and cartoonish situations. I'll PM you spoilers if you're interested.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

it's not just the stimulus that is helping, but the extra $600/week from the federal government. I see it on the live streams on Youtube. if you were a low-wage worker and got laid off because of Covid-19 you basicslly hit the jackpot. I was actually hoping the pandemic was going to drive video game prices down and thered be more games showing up at used game stores and eBay but the opposite has happened

I am wondering if Canadians are similarly getting massive handouts during this

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'd hardly call what Americans are receiving "massive handouts".

But it is a weird time to be shopping for retro games. I wouldn't be surprised if there are also a lot of people holding off on selling because they don't want to have to visit a post office, and if fewer copies are currently available, that could drive prices up too. But horror games have always appeared to be like RPGs in that titles that have big names (but not big print runs), were highly acclaimed, or now have a "cult classic" status can really inflate in price. Better to pick them up sooner than later. But personally I wouldn't be shopping for retro games until the world is in a more normal place and prices can level off to wherever they should be if they've been affected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    From what I understand, the consensus is all four of the Team Silent era = good, everything after that = okay to garbage. (Although within the Team Silent era, SH4 is considered the LEAST good).
    That's been my impression, Silent Hill 4 just didn't seems as good from what I've played of it. I actually watched a complete playthrough online to see how the game is, I can't say I liked most of the characters.

I might go ahead and get Origins and Shattered Memories soon personally, since A) those are both for the PS2 and thus don't require me to get a new console and B) coincidentally they're also the only two post-Team Silent games that have any sort of fans or defenders. Shattered Memories especially seems to be considered a bit of a cult classic within the series.
    Somehow it's strange that those are basically the most expensive ones, Shattered Memories is over $100 complete. The Wii version is reasonably priced, but like you I would also prefer the PS2 version as I don't really collect Wii games.

Homecoming is pretty much universally hated, while Downpour's biggest claim to fame is "its at least a competent game." Being someone who only knows these latter games through reviews/summary videos (since I never owned a PS3 I felt it was safe to spoiler myself), Downpour especially always struck me as a typical example of trying to tell a mature story without really understanding how that works, so what you get is a lot of obvious manipulation and cartoonish situations. I'll PM you spoilers if you're interested.
    I've watched complete playthroughs of those games too, or I might be confusing one of them with Origins. I might have watched all three of them actually. I've had no problem with watching the entire games online, except I tried to avoid the first three Silent Hill games as I wanted to play them myself...only I think I watched Silent Hill 3 as well when I had nothing else to do a few years ago. I can barely remember what happened in most of those games even though I watched entire playthroughs of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if there are also a lot of people holding off on selling because they don't want to have to visit a post office, and if fewer copies are currently available, that could drive prices up too.
    In general the PS2 is having prices rise as it's getting to that age where it actually feels vintage, but if prices are actually spiking a bit now I think it's because of another reason.

With all the restaurants, bars, theaters, concerts, sporting events, and most stores/entertainment places closed, people have more disposable money now, and with nothing really to do except stay at home it's the perfect time to play some video games and catch up on titles that were previously put off on purchasing. I'd rather cook food at home than order in takeout, part of the appeal of restaurants is the experience of actually eating out, especially socially with friends. It's amazing how much most people usually spend on eating out or going places for entertainment, or traveling in general for vacations. Like just stopping for a coffee at Starbucks or buying a soda at a convenience store. I guess I've mostly been thrifty anyway as not too much has changed for me, mostly not bothering to take the bus anywhere as everyplace is closed so there's no reason to travel for now. I'm just annoyed I can't buy things I need like new shoes or clothing as stores are all closed.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

FWIW, I haven't visited a post office to send a package in ages. If it's under a certain number of ounces, one can leave it in her mailbox and the postal worker will pick it up. I've saved a lot of time/gas money doing this. You can drop it in a collection box as well.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

That's highly dependent on where one lives. Postal carriers here only deliver mail. They don't even take letters, let alone packages, from private mailboxes. The public boxes only take letters. If I want to ship any kind of package, I have to go to a post office (or UPS store or what have you). I know I have a few things I'd like to sell that I'm holding off on because I don't want to increase my exposure to other people.

Some people have more disposable income now, but there are also mass amounts of people getting by on less. Massive amounts of people have lost their work entirely or seen their income diminished, food pantries are seeing a huge spike in demand, many are still waiting to receive their relief checks and/or unemployment, unemployment plus an extra $600 is still less than what a lot of people were making, and essentials like groceries have gotten more expensive. So I would think it'd be a wash, with the people with more disposable income and the people with less canceling each other out. But then you get into other factors like how the availability of retro games is right now and what the demographics of retro game collectors are like to begin with (probably more likely to have tech jobs they can do from home) and the fact many splurge with their tax refunds, and prices can get screwy.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I just see people on live streams openly admitting that they are willing to donate more because theyre getting the extra dollars each week. and I saw a video on CNN about restaurants who cant get his employees to come back because 1, they are getting more now, and 2, they dont want to risk exposure

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The fact those cases exist doesn't negate anything I said. There are more people in this world than those who appear on live streams and CNN videos you watch.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I saw the food lines and it doesnt make sense to me. the only way I can see it affecting anyone negatively is if they were living paycheck to paycheck before this happened and for some reason their unemployment was delayed through no fault of their own. i havent seen any specific examples of that though. id think 2 months into this, the people who need it are getting it by now
    Last edited by gbpxl; 05-25-2020 at 02:10 PM. Reason: I guess if you had been getting paid under the table it probably affects you. outside of that and small business owners

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I've watched complete playthroughs of those games too, or I might be confusing one of them with Origins. I might have watched all three of them actually. I've had no problem with watching the entire games online, except I tried to avoid the first three Silent Hill games as I wanted to play them myself...only I think I watched Silent Hill 3 as well when I had nothing else to do a few years ago. I can barely remember what happened in most of those games even though I watched entire playthroughs of them.
    I unfortunately have a knack for remembering things, and then overthinking them in moments of boredom or when I've just woken up or am going to sleep and have nothing else on my mind because, you know, trying to sleep.

It doesn't help that lately, Youtube has become my equivalent of Morning Cartoons. When I first wake up I don't want anything too serious so I watch youtube videos of game reviews and such.

Anyway, Silent Hill Downpour bothers me in a few ways, even though I only know it from afformentioned Youtube.

I wish this forum had some sort of spoiler tag I could hide stuff behind so I could just ramble freely.... but here's what I'mma do instead.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

That text file on Google Docs is all my thoughts on Silent Hill Downpour (there's also minor spoilers for Silent Hill 2 in there, since at one point I raise a point about how in Downpour certain characters are presented as either freaking angels or vile scumbags in order to wring a reaction out of you, while in SH2 you get a lot more of a gradient and it comes off as a more adult story because of it).

It's funny, but Downpour's story is probably the one that bothers me the most of all the post-Team Silent games, probably because it was also the one that had the most potential... largely because the other three almost feel way too fanfic-cy to really warrant much thought about, being heavily concerned with series lore and such, while Downpour felt like it at least had the right idea of trying to be just a horror game that happened to take place in Silent Hill.

But then, that's what happens when you hand IPs off to nobodies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Okay, so, I just beat Silent Hill 3 for the first time.

And now I'm ready for Silent Hill 4.... or at least, I will be soon. I think if I play both games too close together I'll have burnout, but perhaps not, as SH4 apparently plays very different. Also the pricings are kinda nuts. I would pay maybe $40-$50 for SH4.

But anyway, commentations....

I'm gonna try to avoid MAJOR spoilers, by the way. To me, "Major" means "Telling you who the murderer is in a detective story," while stuff like "Oh, there's eventually a lava-level in this platform game" is fair game to me. Just so you know what you're getting into.

..... So, at first I wasn't liking Silent Hill 3, or as I called it, "the long walk home." Now admittedly I went into the game already knowing the major twist about the game being a sequel to Silent Hill 1, and honestly might've been a good thing because before that bombshell gets dropped, its basically "here's all this weird crap that is happening to this gal."

Now, bit of a hot take... while Silent Hills 2 and 3 arguably have better stories than the original SH, I have to say the very first game in the series has an advantage in simply telling its story better. I always understood where Harry was supposed to go and, more importantly, why he was going there. Silent Hill 2 though had a few places that just seemed kinda arbitrary, and at times I wondered how you were even supposed to know about a place if you didn't have a guide handy. The opening for example has a lot of "you need to run all the way across this one section of town to find this one van to find this one restaurant to find this one key..." and the apartments are just a drag in general because the story doesn't really start until they're over.

Silent Hill 3 is worse in this respect... I felt like the only reason I was going to all these random places at first was simply because the game funneled me down a certain direction. By the time I got to the office complex and the under-construction building I was like "OH MY GOD WILL THIS GAME COME TO A POINT ALREADY?"

It did an amazing turnaround tho: Once the main story picks up, its actually pretty good.

And I do have to give it a bit of credit in one area: In terms of pure scare-factor, this is probably the most horrifying of the initial trilogy. It at least did the most to put me on edge. Silent Hill 2 is more sad than scary. Silent Hill 1 had some parts that got me but didn't leave an impression, especially not the honestly-kind-of-prosaic monsters. SH3 I legitimately had a "Oh god please tell me there's a save point in the next room" feeling almost all the time.

Part of that tho was the combat was a lot more challenging and it feels like this one was more stingy with ammo, while at the same time melee was less reliable. It was one of the first times I preferred running from monsters rather than killing them all.

Anyway, those were some quick-fire thoughts.

So Gameguy, still wanna hold on to your copy of SH4?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Iheardthatcurtis13's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know the feeling; recently i was checking Canadian Amazon and Silent Hill 2 on PS2 was $497 brand new. But only $44.99 used; taking the used copy would be cheaper but i cannot be sure if that used copy will be in working condition. I feel quite frustrated trying to find a good copy of a PS2 Silent Hill; either thought online websites or going to thrift stores. And their is the HD collection of 2 and 3 but i heard alot of fucked up things about the sound design for that remaster. I don't know how you guys feel about Emulators; but that is how i have been playing these games. Although i would prefer to own them physically; but it's getting quite hard to collect all the PS2 games for my collection.
    SERENITY NOW!!!!

-Franklin Costanza

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

So Gameguy, still wanna hold on to your copy of SH4?
    I somehow missed this thread and didn't see it updated. I've just been catching up on what you wrote, thanks for all that . I pretty much agree with your view on the quality of the writing and characters for Downpour, I did see a playthrough of the game online so I mostly remember it. Honestly it seems about the same quality wise as Silent Hill 4, just with the way the characters are written and acted. So prepare yourself for that.

For now I am still going to hold onto SH4, I already have it so I figure why not keep it? So far I don't think I paid more than $5 for any of the Silent Hill games in my collection so I'm happy with that.

And with all this time at home I've been looking through some boxes I stored away, I actually have a copy of Silent Hill Downpour for PS3. I completely forgot I had this, there were some other items stored with it I vaguely recognize so I'm pretty sure I found it at a garage sale a few years ago. It's getting bad when I can't remember what I have or how much I paid for it. I'm usually pretty good with that stuff, remembering everything except for the exact dates of purchase. I think I got this before I had a PS3 console.