So I've recently started playing Final Fantasy 7 remake and really enjoying it. If it wasn't called Final Fantasy 7, I'd definitely have to look it up and make sure that Square Enix did indeed develop it. When initially hearing about it, I was certain that I would be disappointed. A remake of Final Fantasy 7 except the game is only going to feature the first four hours of the game at most? But two hours in, they've put some exceptional effort into making the dialogue, traversal, and combat in all honesty, exceptional. It's a linear experience, but Midgar itself was a linear experience, and I honestly hate the modern open world, so the game hasn't been ruined with that aspect.... yet. I mean, I've only been playing two hours, there's a whole 30 hours left to ruin the experience.

However, I've also played Resident Evil 2 and while I don't prefer it over the original, it's an amazing game, one of the best in the series. Now of course, these being excellent games(if Final Fantasy 7 remains as such,) could just mean that they're the exception. I mean, Resident Evil 7, DMC5, etc, are all great games and they're not remakes, it just goes to show the quality of the developers at Capcom.

What I wanted when Final Fantasy 7's remake was first announced though was just a graphical update of a game that is the exact same, but now that I'm playing what we've got, I actually prefer this. While I love Final Fantasy 4 and all of the graphical remakes that we've received, they're just the same game over and over again and I can play that anytime. Even the DS version wasn't much of a change, just a hard mode essentially. I'm actually enjoying what we've received as a completely new experience and I'd like more developers and publishers to start remaking games in this way.

Who else though have played these games or others, even games like (Ys Oath in Felghana, Celceta, Wild ARMs Alter Code F, and others fit the criteria) and has it changed your opinion on ports and graphical updates as they've been released? Would you prefer getting graphical updates or modern remakes?