Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default Modern remakes

So I've recently started playing Final Fantasy 7 remake and really enjoying it. If it wasn't called Final Fantasy 7, I'd definitely have to look it up and make sure that Square Enix did indeed develop it. When initially hearing about it, I was certain that I would be disappointed. A remake of Final Fantasy 7 except the game is only going to feature the first four hours of the game at most? But two hours in, they've put some exceptional effort into making the dialogue, traversal, and combat in all honesty, exceptional. It's a linear experience, but Midgar itself was a linear experience, and I honestly hate the modern open world, so the game hasn't been ruined with that aspect.... yet. I mean, I've only been playing two hours, there's a whole 30 hours left to ruin the experience.

However, I've also played Resident Evil 2 and while I don't prefer it over the original, it's an amazing game, one of the best in the series. Now of course, these being excellent games(if Final Fantasy 7 remains as such,) could just mean that they're the exception. I mean, Resident Evil 7, DMC5, etc, are all great games and they're not remakes, it just goes to show the quality of the developers at Capcom.

What I wanted when Final Fantasy 7's remake was first announced though was just a graphical update of a game that is the exact same, but now that I'm playing what we've got, I actually prefer this. While I love Final Fantasy 4 and all of the graphical remakes that we've received, they're just the same game over and over again and I can play that anytime. Even the DS version wasn't much of a change, just a hard mode essentially. I'm actually enjoying what we've received as a completely new experience and I'd like more developers and publishers to start remaking games in this way.

Who else though have played these games or others, even games like (Ys Oath in Felghana, Celceta, Wild ARMs Alter Code F, and others fit the criteria) and has it changed your opinion on ports and graphical updates as they've been released? Would you prefer getting graphical updates or modern remakes?
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I don't like remakes of anything unless the original was broken, unplayable, severely flawed, or no longer available for various reasons. If people really like them and they are supporting them with their dollars, more power to them. I know that Final Fantasy 7 was a universally acclaimed game and I don't understand the need for a remake but apparently many people do and if it makes them happy then great.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I don't really have any preference for styles of remakes. I can enjoy any style from faithful, 1:1 remakes to drastic remakes that feel like totally different games. All that matters to me is if I feel whatever style they went with was done well. Like with the recent Langrisser release, I don't have a problem with the concept of having new character designs, but I think the new art looks like crap compared to the original art, which is why I'm glad they included both sets of designs as an option.

But I guess how I feel about the original version does have some impact on what kind of remake I think would best suit me. With Final Fantasy VII, I don't particularly like the original, so a drastic remake sounds more appealing to me than a faithful remake. Or if you take a game like, say, Chrono Trigger, virtually everything about it is already perfect to me, so I see no reason to add or change anything, really. The added content in the ports feels pointless to me, and I've never been able to relate to people who want a 3D version. But my commitment to the exact original experience isn't so strong with most games. If I like a game, I'm usually open to at least trying a new take on it.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I personally would prefer just straight HD upscales or even just ports rather than full-fledged remakes.

For me, part of the appeal of remakes is just that I might be able to connect with younger generations (I DO have a niece and nephew, after all) and I hate being in a situation where they've only seen/played a watered-down version of an awesome thing... or where I would essentially have to watch an all-new show in order to keep even footing. This bothers me about even good stuff like the Netflix She-Ra.

The cases I really dislike are things like, say, the live action Cat in the Hat. I would hate for that to be someone's only exposure to that classic property and color their perception of Dr. Seuss.

Also a part of me doesn't really like attempts to fix what has gone before... like, things should live and die based on what they are, not what we wish they were. Granted there are edge cases (Like, I'm fine with patching) but I would rather the FF7 remake be an all new game... which it essentially is, so just call it Final Fantasy 16.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I personally would prefer just straight HD upscales or even just ports rather than full-fledged remakes.

For me, part of the appeal of remakes is just that I might be able to connect with younger generations (I DO have a niece and nephew, after all) and I hate being in a situation where they've only seen/played a watered-down version of an awesome thing... or where I would essentially have to watch an all-new show in order to keep even footing. This bothers me about even good stuff like the Netflix She-Ra.

The cases I really dislike are things like, say, the live action Cat in the Hat. I would hate for that to be someone's only exposure to that classic property and color their perception of Dr. Seuss.

Also a part of me doesn't really like attempts to fix what has gone before... like, things should live and die based on what they are, not what we wish they were. Granted there are edge cases (Like, I'm fine with patching) but I would rather the FF7 remake be an all new game... which it essentially is, so just call it Final Fantasy 16.
    I understand your point here. While I'd prefer a different game experience for myself, if it's a graphical remake, then you can still talk to other people about the same game where as you can't very well have a conversation of the Final Fantasy 7 remake unless you yourself have actually played it because of how different the game can be at times. Even when it's not different, the amount of dialogue for the same events make it much different as you have far more characterization with characters that were only mildly important in the original.

Final Fantasy 7 isn't my favorite in the series, but even so I still hold the game in high regard and still one of my favorite cast of characters in an RPG. Before playing the remake though, I had the same opinion. All I wanted was a game that played identical to Final Fantasy 7 with better graphics, a remake much like Crash Bandicoot or Spyro the Dragoon where it's really just the same game. Square Enix gave me a remake that I prefer over the original despite, now 11 hours in, can confirm that I don't like it as much as the original. It's still a completely different gameplay experience with a cast of characters that I really like who have far more depth and back story than the original game has ever offered in the period of time you spend with them within Midgar.

The way Square Enix is doing it with multiple parts also bothered me at first, but again, I didn't realize the amount of effort they were going to actually put into the game, nor the quality of the game, being Square Enix afterall. A lot of people say that it's not "a full game" not just the full game, but a full game and that they're splitting it into parts just to screw people over. But just the amount I've played of it right now and I can easily say without a doubt that it's a full game even if you take the main story alone. On top of being a full game, with these multiple parts in the remake, this means that we'll have more time to spend with these characters, we'll have more time to spend in this world, and it extends the length of Final Fantasy 7 to a much larger experience. By much larger experience, I'm talking about a much larger "quality experience" where you are traversing through what's essentially a 30 hour experience or longer for just Midgar, and again, that's the main story, not the side content which isn't as good as the main story content(but honestly, in this case the side content isn't as bad as what you'd see in a Ubisoft game or even Square Enix's own Final Fantasy 15, there's only a few quests in the first town and each one of them has you going to a sort of mini dungeon within the area that you otherwise never need to go to again.)

This is similar to Ys Oath in Felghana. While there's already an Ys3 graphical remake in Japan, I can't imagine anyone actually asking for it. So when Ys Oath in Felghana was announced as another Ys3 remake, it's a pleasant surpise as it takes what's essentially a really bad game and turned it into what was actually once the best game in the franchise. It took what was a good concept and turned it into a great game with more story and depth in the game than the oriignal could ever hope for.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    This is similar to Ys Oath in Felghana. While there's already an Ys3 graphical remake in Japan, I can't imagine anyone actually asking for it. So when Ys Oath in Felghana was announced as another Ys3 remake, it's a pleasant surpise as it takes what's essentially a really bad game and turned it into what was actually once the best game in the franchise. It took what was a good concept and turned it into a great game with more story and depth in the game than the oriignal could ever hope for.
    Was Ys III really so bad? I remember quite liking it, though it has been awhile.

One thing I forgot to say before but which I feel I should say now.... I tend to not trust positive reviews of remakes. Not because I think people are lying or are shills or anything like that, but because I don't trust them to be objective. When something is new, especially if there's a hype train behind it, of course your feelings are gonna be very positive unless the thing winds up being a total trainwreck--and even then, some people will love it.

Just for example (and this isn't a remake, I know, but) back when Star Wars Episode I first came out, anyone who criticized it was assumed to be just trying to be controversial or a hipster or just had bad taste in movies. I have old magazines where people sent letters to the editor for DARING to say bad things about it.... when nowadays the prequel trilogy as a whole is considered not-so-great.

On a more personal level, I remember a time when I thought Neverending Story III was the best movie in the trilogy, just because it was a new movie in a series I loved. Gah, sometimes I'm glad I'm not so young anymore....

But those are demonstrations of what I mean: when something is new its easy to see all positives and no negatives, so people are gonna say things now that they won't be saying five years in the future.

One thing that came up with regards to the Resident Evil remakes in particular, for me, is I feel like people fall into this trap of thinking they have to judge every change as better/worse rather than just "different." Also the problem of "closer to my preferences, ergo better." It bothers me that the RE1 and 2 remakes are considered superior more or less JUST because they're darker and more serious than the original games, which had a campy B-movie tone going for them. For some reason horror gamers in general have this idea that more serious = automatically better, which I've never quite gelled with... especially since a lot of "serious" horror games wind up being pretentious and stupid. I'd rather have the dumb fun that classic RE exemplified. Although I think part of this reaction is because for awhile, RE had dropped horror entirely and become basically an action movie franchise, which didn't sit well with a lot of people.... which goes into what I mean about not being objective.

Put another way, at one point RE4 was considered the best game in the series, just because it was a breath of fresh air. I personally never liked RE4 (I liked the village, but after that it feels like the game just gets padded out and refuses to FREAKING END), and it seems like everyone else turned on it because it led to RE5 and 6... which ironically I played demos of them on my Switch and kinda enjoyed them, but just not enough to pay Capcom's asking prices.

I think games should be judged on what they are, not what you want them to be.