Thread: Digital Board Games are underappreciated

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    My favorite board game-like game though is Dokapon Kingdom Playing with friends this game is amazing. I'd also like to say Culdcept Revolt(the only one I've played) is very good, so pick up Culdcept if you can.
    You really should read the opening posts of topics. This topic is about digital versions of real-life board games, not Mario Party type stuff.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i can see what your guys are saying in terms of the usual monopoly, scrabble, general household type family games. I get why they are underappreciated.

but the more complicated board games i dont get. like risk for example i find much more entertaining as a digital game than i do with a regular "hard copy" of the game.
    I mean Itadaki Street could be done as a standard board game but could you imagine keeping track of all that crap, and thats a game i love and i know if i was to try to play it as a physical game i would hate it.

I think complexity has something to do with it over what the game is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Learned Chess in my teens so in the 80`s I played a few Chess games on the ZX Spectrum and Monopoly on the Master System was pretty awesome and convenient if you want to have a multiplayer game when you are on your own.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

"Go" was a major plot device in the film "Knives Out".

anyways digital board games. eh no thanks. tried Monopoly on both NES and Xbox and something is lost in the transition to digital. I think the handing/receiving physical money is what made the game appealing. and moving the tokens around the board. digital just isnt the same.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Possibly the best classic board game adaptation is Advanced Civilization from 1995 for DOS. It's an excellent adaptation of the board game that inspired the Sid Meier series. This game is often maligned because it basically requires 7 players and a long time to play (10 hours, give or take a few). Once you've played it, however, you realize why most of its fans claim it to be the best board game ever.

It really plays more like a Euro-style board game, rather than what you think of when you think of Sid Meier's Civilization. Yes, it's a Euro sale game dating back to 1980, believe it or not. Meier couldn't resist the temptation to change the way combat works from an abstract mechanism to a more American dice roll style.

The DOS version is really the way to go if you don't have that many friends or time to sit around in one sitting. I highly recommend you download the manual though, because there is no tutorial in-game.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Video game Monopoly, at least during the 8-bit era, tended to have lousy milquetoast AI. I could give you numerous examples, but here is one.

Aggressive human players will mortgage their other properties wholesale if they land on an unowned property, don't have enough cash on hand but want to buy it. None of the console versions I played from that era have a computer opponent who will do that.

More often than not, the property goes to auction and without an opponent mortgaging a property or two of theirs to raise quick cash, you can get that piece of land for a dollar or two more than whatever cash the AI opponent has on hand. Sometimes that is $40 for a property like Boardwalk.
    Last edited by bangtango; 10-19-2020 at 08:45 PM.