Thread: Sega Annnounces Game Gear Micro

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Sega Annnounces Game Gear Micro

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/3/21...gnifying-glass

$50, four different games on each. Buy all four and you get a magnifying glass. Not too sure about this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I like the idea behind it, but (a) this'll never make it over here, especially the RPG versions, and (b) four games each is a bit underwhelming. I wouldn't mind if all the games were in one unit, and it had a microSD card slot on it (or something similar but less easy to copy) that maybe they could sell other game collections for it. Or at least have an online store for titles.

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I like the idea behind it, but (a) this'll never make it over here, especially the RPG versions, and (b) four games each is a bit underwhelming. I wouldn't mind if all the games were in one unit, and it had a microSD card slot on it (or something similar but less easy to copy) that maybe they could sell other game collections for it. Or at least have an online store for titles.
    Add to those that (c) the screen is absolutely tiny, if this image is to be believed:

Seriously, I'm pretty sure I've seen larger screens on 1990s digital cameras.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Honey i shrunk the game gear I don't know sega lost me on this announcement.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

They're cute, and I like the idea of being able to play Game Gear games on a screen of modern quality (that's still within a handheld and official), but they seem pretty useless in terms of functionality. As tiny as they are, I imagine most of these are going to just eat up shelf space as a display piece within their boxes. I have small hands (compared to male gamers, at least), so I generally don't mind small handhelds at all. The GBA SP is fine for me. But even I have my limits. At that size, I'm skeptical how well one could control the games, and I imagine I'd be squinting to make out what's happening on the screen, especially with the games that have text. And limiting each to four games is a joke. Even if you put all 16 games on one single unit, that'd still be such a small sampling of the library. But maybe this point is moot because I wouldn't be surprised if this gets hacked shortly after release and people find a way to get the entire library on them. Then it would just come down to how tolerable the form factor is. The fact they'd offer a freebie magnifier for buying all four units certainly isn't a good sign.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 06-04-2020 at 09:11 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

At that price it's a hard no for me. I think they are cool but even with
    bifocals i would have a hard time seeing the screen.

I would buy them just to have on the shelf if they were $20 each.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

This is too small to be useful, if anything they should be making it bigger or outputting to a TV. An official Game Gear that can use real cartridges, and output to a standard CRT TV would be perfect, especially as all real Game Gear consoles need tons of batteries and complete capacitor replacement to be usable today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Well they'd be playable if they just had Sonic games on them. You only need one action button.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If it did output to a TV, it would be HDMI output. No official hardware manufacturer is going to make a mini system that plays real carts and is designed for CRTs. That's akin to asking for a new official Zelda on N64.

Personally, while I certainly wouldn't be opposed to these also having TV output, I'm glad they can be used as proper handhelds. If somebody wants to play these games on a TV, that's a simple matter of emulation, and Sega could always release a compilation of Game Gear games on modern home consoles (if they haven't already). But there aren't many good options for playing Game Gear games on a real handheld, even less so officially. 3DS has a small selection on Virtual Console (16 to be specific, which is actually the same number as these Micro handhelds have in total, but it's a different selection), and I'm guessing there are Game Gear emulators of questionable quality on other handhelds that have been hacked like the PSP, but that's about as far the options go when it comes to playing Game Gear games on official handhelds other than an actual Game Gear and dealing with its extremely dated hardware. It's a shame the Game Gear wasn't successful enough to get official hardware compatible with its carts produced post-2000 like the Game Boy did. I wish I had something like the GBA SP to play my Game Gear games on.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Seems like it's Japan only, which means I'm out simply assuming the price to get one will be astronomical.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    If it did output to a TV, it would be HDMI output. No official hardware manufacturer is going to make a mini system that plays real carts and is designed for CRTs. That's akin to asking for a new official Zelda on N64.
    Oh I know they won't make them with composite output, I just wrote what I would actually consider buying. An official hardware based, non-emulation console that outputs to composite. I don't have a TV with HDMI input so that would be useless to me, and these old games are low resolution so they'd look terrible on an HD display. Like you said I'd probably end up using emulation for convenience or resort to restoring an old Game Gear to actually play, or get a Game Gear modded for TV output as people have successfully done that in the past. I have some Game Gear games I'd like to play but I'm not sure if my one console is actually working. Years ago I sold off my entire Game Gear collection but I've since picked up some good games for it so I'd like to play them at some point.

These new mini handhelds have a screen the size of a postage stamp, how can anyone play them?

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I can't imagine these things are especially heavy or large, even in the box with all the packaging, so shipping shouldn't be too terrible. Amazon Japan ships internationally and has them for preorder at the MSRP, so no inflated price set by exporters to worry about.

I suppose it's still possible they could announce a US version, but they'd obviously replace a lot of the games because there's no way they're going to bother localizing the games that were never officially released in English (even though it would be awesome if they did). Either that, or maybe they'd release fewer colors and just consolidate the English-friendly games.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Thanks but no thanks, but I'll just use my PSP.

That being said, the Gamegear wasn't very good imo. About the only game I actually enjoyed on it was Defenders of Oasis.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-07-2020 at 10:46 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It is a curious little thing ,perhaps a little too small for most. I think people will just stick with emulation.