Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Most-Liked Tetris Game(s)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Your Most-Liked Tetris Game(s)

There are a lot of Tetris games out there, both official and unofficial. However, each one is unique in its own way. Some are more aesthetically pleasing. Others have excellent music. A few have tons of modes. Most have at least one multiplayer mode. Others have much content or even, dare I suggest it, un-lockables?

That said, what are your favorite games of Tetris?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

While it doesn't play as well as the others (no shifting between drop speeds) I really like the CD-i version for its backgrounds and music. It's one of the only few CD-i titles I like.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I probably played the original Game Boy version more than any other, but I'd say the one I had the most fun with was probably Tetris Blast, also on the original Game Boy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Tetris on the Nintendo 64. It was always a giddy feeling of making a "happy box" square piece and hearing the balloon like squeezing sound the game made when the box was formed.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I mostly played the Gameboy or NES Nintendo Tetris versions so really either of them. I haven't played enough other versions to really say if I'd prefer anything else even more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

As for a bare bones version of Tetris, the original Gameboy version is always a solid choice and one of my favourite "basic" versions.

Tetris DS however is the best version I have ever played. The way all the Nintendo properties are worked into the game is fantastic and all the different original modes are absolutely brilliant.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Tetris DS for me. I enjoy the little bits of NES nostalgia thrown in there, and the other styles of gameplay.

edit: I feel like I copied the homework of the person above me.
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 07-28-2020 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd choose Tetris Plus (Saturn/PS1). I really enjoy the puzzle mode where you have to help the archeologist get to the bottom of the screen.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Tetris DS for me. I enjoy the little bits of NES nostalgia thrown in there, and the other styles of gameplay.
    I've got that, but I haven't played that game in a very long time. The online mode was pretty sweet years back. Got trounced by people I couldn't talk to or see, but it was a humbling experience to see such mastery. I'll have to dig it out sometime and get the kids involved. They can't stack real items worth a spit (pots and pans just shoved into the cabinet rather than neatly stacked in one another, for example) so maybe some Tetris will do them good. Who says you can't learn anything from video games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

The Next Tetris (PS1 version). Interesting twist on the classic formula, plays a bit like the Atari arcade version where eliminating starting blocks is the goal, and uses the colored sticky piece system. Outstanding head-to-head mode with a handicapping system that keeps the matches level and features player registration and tracking. Also has a pretty much perfect soundtrack of smooth reworks of classic Tetris music along with some new grooves that can be shuffled on the fly in-game like a jukebox.

Hard to believe there's a Tetris game that tends to slip under the radar but The Next Tetris on PS1 is just that.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

There is nothing better than Magical Tetris Challenge for the N64 and PS1. Battle-tetris, tight controls by Capcom, very fun. Tetris DS comes in a close second but I don't think it plays quite as good, though the various modes are quite good, and there is still online capability for Tetris DS and a few other NDS games through Wiimmfi.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Anything that includes Bombliss. Aside from that, I've always liked Tengen's NES version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

my favorite has always been tetris tengen. I still have an original copy of it and I enjoy them as much as the first day.
    Visit my gaming blog for retro and current video games.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pr3tty F1y's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

1.) Tetris - Gameboy
    2.) zTetris - Ti-83 Calculator
    3.) Puzzled - Neo Geo

If you haven't played Puzzled, you really should give it a try. The Neo Geo has many more popular franchises, but this game is great. It may be more of an anti-Tetris, but it's still Tetris at it's heart:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Tetris DS is pretty neat indeed, but it's way too easy to "marathon".

I think NES Tetris was the last one I played. I appreciate why it's still a favorite for competitions despite the existence of hardcore things like Tetris The Grand Master. There's a narrow window in which you can punch up your score before the pieces start falling too quickly to manipulate.

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Tetris on the Nintendo 64. It was always a giddy feeling of making a "happy box" square piece and hearing the balloon like squeezing sound the game made when the box was formed.
    The New Tetris, to be precise. I thought the squares were a pretty neat twist on the classic Tetris gameplay. Apparently in some versions (like Tetris Worlds) it is called "square Tetris".
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post

edit: I feel like I copied the homework of the person above me.
    HEY! No cheating... But I have to say you have excellent taste.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    The Next Tetris (PS1 version)... ... ...Hard to believe there's a Tetris game that tends to slip under the radar but The Next Tetris on PS1 is just that.
    My friend had this on the Dreamcast back in the day and we had an absolute blast with it, but you specifically mention the PS1 version.
    Is that because it's the version that you happened to play or is it somehow the preferred version over the DC version?
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    My friend had this on the Dreamcast back in the day and we had an absolute blast with it, but you specifically mention the PS1 version.
    Is that because it's the version that you happened to play or is it somehow the preferred version over the DC version?
    I prefer the PS1 version's graphics more as the backgrounds are less busy and are kind of like smooth EarthBound backgrounds, rather than the sci-fi aesthetic of the Dreamcast version. I believe they play almost identically otherwise.

Glad to see someone else here enjoyed this release of Tetris! Thinking back, during the summer I bought it pretty much everyone was coming over to play - sister's friends from across the street, their parents, my brother, my sisters, my parents, my friends. At the time I was living in a garage apartment at my parent's house and would leave the game in their living room. Almost every morning I'd come in to someone playing it.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 08-07-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

One Tetris clone I played a disgusting amount of was an obscure MS-DOS game called Varmint's EITtris (the site is mostly about a remade Windows version, but there's a link at the bottom for the original). This was a four-player competitive Tetris (substituting AI opponents if you didn't have four players) with a ton of powerups that would randomly appear in your blocks... if you cleared a row containing a powerup, it would go into your inventory and you could use it on yourself or your opponents. Some of these powerups were truly nasty attacks that would completely fuck up block patterns. There was one that would cause a bunch of pieces to randomly "bubble up" towards the top of the well, and another that would create a two row wall (minus a block in each row) just above the top block in a well... attacking another player with these two in sequence was devastating. The game also played .mod music files during gameplay, though all the included mod files were stolen from other games.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    This was a four-player competitive Tetris (substituting AI opponents if you didn't have four players) with a ton of powerups that would randomly appear in your blocks... if you cleared a row containing a powerup, it would go into your inventory and you could use it on yourself or your opponents. Some of these powerups were truly nasty attacks that would completely fuck up block patterns. There was one that would cause a bunch of pieces to randomly "bubble up" towards the top of the well, and another that would create a two row wall (minus a block in each row) just above the top block in a well... attacking another player with these two in sequence was devastating.
    Makes me think of Nyet III, which got some attention on Youtube a while back. It's not really as difficult as the video suggests.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG0ANGRwSl8
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Oh shit, I almost forgot about Tetrinet... That was a huge thing back in the IRC heydey.

--Zero