Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default PS3 Hidden Gems

What are the "invisible diamonds" among the PlayStation 3's library of games? These would be the "lost rubies" of the PS3 library, excellent games that hardly anyone ever talks about. In particular, what about the SEGA games for the PlayStation 3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

I just finished playing Lollipop Chainsaw and thought it was a fun game. It's a Suda51 game so it's a little ridiculous but I still found it enjoyable and I have hated most of his previous games.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AceAerosmith View Post
    I just finished playing Lollipop Chainsaw and thought it was a fun game. It's a Suda51 game so it's a little ridiculous but I still found it enjoyable and I have hated most of his previous games.
    Agreed. This is the only Suda51 game I've played that I didn't find to be complete overrated garbage. It's not amazing, but it's fairly good.

//

3D Dot Game Heroes. While the game is praised by everyone who plays it, it's very deserving. One of the absolute best games on the PS3 and it's better than most of The Legend of Zelda games which is what it rips off in the first place. You can create your own character sprite and attack animation, one of the people who used to post here had a Rydia avatar created using it, I myself created Kiryu Kazuma.

EA Games. Dante's Inferno, Mirror's Edge, The Saboteur, Fight Night Champion, etc. Now, some of these are legit diamonds in the rough. A lot of people are sheep that just follow the crowd and hate on EA, and this gen, sure, they're absolute sh**. But last gen people were hating on them just because they're a business that does what businesses do, they buy companies, these companies don't turn a profit then yes, they shut them down. Look how many companies Sony has bought and shut down? Anyways. Dante's Inferno and The Saboteur are ripoffs of either God of War and GTA, and these games were better than the franchises that they've ripped off in many ways. Dante's Inferno was just straight up better than God of War outside of graphics and The Saboteur had some of the best snap to cover and shooting that the third person open world shooting genre has ever in that time period, even now I'd say it's pretty standout. These are some of the best AAA games on the system of their particular genres and they just got so much hate because it's EA that they didn't sell. Mirror's Edge was later found out to be an amazing hidden gem and widely praised by everyone who played it, to the point that EA rebooted the franchise, and again, it didn't sell. The new one on PS4, the reboot, isn't that great anyways. It's a good game, but they turned it open world and there's so much going back and forth that it just gets very repetitive. Fight Night Champion though has a great Rocky-like single player story mode and a really good create a boxer campaign mode. Watch some of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=219iz3-55J0
    Last edited by kupomogli; 08-10-2020 at 09:41 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    A lot of people are sheep that just follow the crowd and hate on EA, and this gen, sure, they're absolute sh**. But last gen people were hating on them just because they're a business that does what businesses do, they buy companies, these companies don't turn a profit then yes, they shut them down. Look how many companies Sony has bought and shut down?
    That's not why people complained about their releases like The Saboteur, people complained how they made sure to punish people for buying used copies by censoring the game unless you used a code that was included with new copies, which also forced users to register an EA Online user account to access the download. Also when lending the game out to friends, that content will be censored unless they pay for the DLC for their own console.

https://www.wired.com/2009/12/saboteur-nudity-code/
    https://www.gamerevolution.com/featu...teur-nude-code

And today you can't buy the DLC or use any codes to unlock that content as the servers are shut down(since 2012), so it's effectively gone forever. Not that I get the point of paying to see CGI boobs, especially in a game about World War II.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Well, it's not a SEGA game, and it's multiplatform, but El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron is something of a hidden gem, IMO.

It's SUPER trippy, and does a lot of that transitional play style shifting, where it goes from 3D environments to platforming and fighting on a 2D plain, sort of like Nier.

Speaking of Nier, I'm not sure if it's been re-discovered by the masses since the sequel, Automata, was such a hit, but the original Nier is (or was) something a sleeper hit that I consider somewhat of a hidden gem.