Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shortest Turn-based RPG's

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Didn't Kirby Super Star have an RPG minigame in it? That was literally just like three battles and then you win?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    AD&D Heroes of the Lance NES is apparently trivially short if you map out the maze
    Not turn-based, though. Otherwise action-RPG/roguelike hybrids would dominate this topic, like Tower of Doom on the Intellivision which can be completed in a few minutes (depending on the scenario).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To mirror TonyTheTiger's sentiment, Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star IV, while maybe taking over 20 hours your first time, tend to get shorter and shorter as you get more familiar with them.

With the latter you can shave an hour or 2 off by running from enemies(except obviously the first boss) until you get the 4th character in your party, and then just letting their overpowered-for-the-short-time-you-have-them skills wipe out enemies until your underleveled chracters get to level 6.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Didn't Kirby Super Star have an RPG minigame in it? That was literally just like three battles and then you win?
    Yes, the Computer Virus/Battle Windows. Such a great boss; a pity the concept isn't used more in other games.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0g68iRdSVM

Probably doesn't qualify for the purposes of the thread, though. I could say the same thing about Kirby Quest (from Kirby: Mass Attack).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkkgyygXazM
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Super Mario RPG is around 25 hours for me, though that's with all the optional content. Some of the optional stuff is time-consuming, but I think I would have to do some serious rushing to even get close to beating the game in 10 hours. The main story-only average on HowLongToBeat is 17 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    All the times on that website are excessive.
    Times on HowLongToBeat aren't plucked out of thin air. The fact that you find them excessive while I find them to be usually shorter than what I take shows that no single person should be considered an authority on what the average time would be for other players. When you have hundreds of people reporting their completion times, the average that results is closer to what the common experience would be. If I submitted my times to HowLongToBeat and you submitted yours, they'd cancel each other out to something in the middle, and that's how this stuff should work. When somebody asks how long they can expect a game to take, it's not the time to brag how fast you can blow through a game on a replay or by skipping text/battles/etc. nor to say that you've put 500 hours into a game because you're adding up dozens of replays. That's why, when I give my own times, I always explain my own play style, if it was my first time through or not, how much of the optional content I did, etc. If somebody like me, who takes her time, thoroughly explores, talks to NPCs multiple times over to see everything they have to say, usually does all the optional content, almost never runs from battles, etc. can beat, say, Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure in, like, 12 or 13 hours the first time through, then virtually anybody can expect to take no more than that, and for people who want shorter games, it's more valuable to know what the maximum would be versus being told a time that's unrealistic for the average first-time player and likely to be far surpassed.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 08-12-2020 at 11:09 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Thought of another one: the Shadowrun Returns RPGs are pretty short. I am not sure if they're under 10 hours, but they're usually under 20. Some of my favorite RPGs of the past 10 years for sure.
    Last edited by calthaer; 08-19-2020 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Realized Guadia Quest was posted.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?