Thread: noticing "re-releases" on the Switch eShop

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default noticing "re-releases" on the Switch eShop

Okay so...

Awhile back, I looked at a "What's New" news post on the Switch, and it mentioned Gradius getting an Arcade Archives release.

Problem... Gradius is already on the Switch, via a compilation called like Konami Arcade Classics or something, along with its sequel and several other shmups. So... why exactly is there a separate stand-alone release? Is that better in some way?

Just now I looked at the newest "What's New on the eShop", and... one thing listed is a Samurai Shodown compilation.

Except... all of those, including the "Special" version of SamSho V, were also all available via Arcade Archives. From what I see the only thing different about this compilation is it includes a new "Perfect" version of SamShoV you can't get separately.

I'm just not entirely sure I see the point.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

This all could be fixed if there were an actual Virtual Console on the system.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, it's a bummer that Nintendo did away with the Virtual Console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Samurai Shodown collection has online play while the arcade archives release that came first don't.Also this is the first time,samurai shodown v perfect has been available to the public for being in that collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Okay, I double-checked and apparently the Arcade Archives Gradius is actually VS. Gradius... IE a harder variant of the NES version. I think. I may have to triple-check.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Okay, I double-checked and apparently the Arcade Archives Gradius is actually VS. Gradius... IE a harder variant of the NES version. I think. I may have to triple-check.
    Correct the nes version for the vs but it's more difficult compare to the original.I remember buying,castlevania vs last year for switch and it's timer is much shorter so you pretty much have to speed run the game.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 08-09-2020 at 02:43 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

So... why exactly is there a separate stand-alone release? Is that better in some way?
    The Konami Arcade Collection is gimped when compared to the individual releases. The Arcade Archives versions all have additional emulation options, as well as the ability to play either the English or Japanese version, plus online leaderboards.

Biggest example of this is Salamander/Life Force, with the AA release having all three versions of it and the Arcade Collection only having two (even after the patch).

Tinfoil hat time; my theory is Konami purposely crippled the Arcade Collection to be an inferior product so it didn't overshadow the original AA releases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

The sad thing is, after having just checked, apparently three games in the Konami Arcade Collection are ONLY in that collection, at least on the Switch (those three being Gradius II, Haunted Castle, and Thunder Cross). I wouldn't mind having Thunder Cross separate.

Apparently on some platforms Haunted Castle IS available via Arcade Archives, just not on the Switch. Damn Konami.

They also have a Contra collection which includes the two Arcade Contras, which is honestly kinda tempting. There's also a Castlevania one, but that's almost entirely console games, and I honestly would prefer to get them on their source console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

The sad thing is, after having just checked, apparently three games in the Konami Arcade Collection are ONLY in that collection, at least on the Switch (those three being Gradius II, Haunted Castle, and Thunder Cross). I wouldn't mind having Thunder Cross separate.

Apparently on some platforms Haunted Castle IS available via Arcade Archives, just not on the Switch. Damn Konami.

They also have a Contra collection which includes the two Arcade Contras, which is honestly kinda tempting. There's also a Castlevania one, but that's almost entirely console games, and I honestly would prefer to get them on their source console.
    Emulation is fine in the contra collection for mostly the consoles one but ugg super contra is janky.Super Contra has screen tearing and input lag plus the screen sizes don't work for the game.I really wish hamster gave it a arcade archive release instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Well, the first Contra just got an Arcade Archives release, hopefully Super Contra will soon follow.

I found another odd case.... there's three "Psikyo Shooting Legends" collections, and the first contains the Strikers 1945 games... except for this specific version of the first one, which is available via Arcade Archives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Well, the first Contra just got an Arcade Archives release, hopefully Super Contra will soon follow.

I found another odd case.... there's three "Psikyo Shooting Legends" collections, and the first contains the Strikers 1945 games... except for this specific version of the first one, which is available via Arcade Archives.
    Hamster contra release,came out in 2016 for PS4 so i doubt super contra will ever have a release by now.The psikyo collection had individuals release first digitally then later on asian for physical for three collections.Then a japanese release where it had all the games in two collections which is one that nisa released here.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 09-13-2020 at 04:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

A review I found said that for the earlier Psikyo games, the individual releases aren't any different from the ones in the compilation.

Right now I'm not sure where my tastes in shmups lies.... except that I really, really wish the Darius collections would go on sale, because I always wanted a thing called tuna sashimi.

Also I'm not giving up hope on Super Contra. I mean it also took them four years to do Super Punch-Out (the arcade one, not the SNES one).

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

A review I found said that for the earlier Psikyo games, the individual releases aren't any different from the ones in the compilation.
    A few of the games released in those collections never got an individual eshop release in the West, like Strikers 1999. Only way you can get that one is the Psikyo collection.

Strikers 1945 Plus was a Neo-Geo game, which is why it's often never lumped in with the others and often given a release of it's own.