Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games you like, but can't play?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Games you like, but can't play?

So I had an experience lately that gave me an idea for an unusual topic.

A year or two ago I played F-Zero GX for the first time. I was looking for racing games at the time and the faster the better, or so I thought. And man... F-Zero GX delivered. It was one of the fastest, most hectic racers I had ever played. Even just on easy mode, it gave me a thrill.

In fact, too much thrill. Literally after I was done with the circuit, I had to take a break because I was seriously afraid of passing out. I feel like my heart can't handle it. Hopefully I might be able to overcome this weakness with diet, exercise, and heart-healthy vitamins but for the time being I had to actually put off playing F-Zero GX.

That kind of thing is the idea of this topic: The game is great, just the kind of thing you want... except for some personal reason, you can't play it.

It doesn't need to necessarily be a health reason. Maybe your console of choice is on the fritz, or maybe you only feel right playing the game during certain seasons (like how I usually associate RPGs with fall or spring), or whatever.

The idea is simply: what's a game you like, and what's some personal issue that keeps you from playing it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I believe it was a PS2 game called "A Dog's Life" or something similar. It was designed by one of the pioneers of the UK computer scene, so it had a good pedigree. Bought it, played it for a while, and became brutally sick. Disorientation, severe nausea, the whole thing. There's parts of the game where they simulate a dog's sense of smell and it goes into a fish-eye lens kind of effect, and the motion sickness took a toll. I felt horrible for hours afterward, far worse than any motion sickness I've ever felt from any other game.

I loved Phantasy Star Online on the GameCube - I had a character that was past level 120, I had been playing it to wind down after work for years. When saving to switch the console off, I accidentally brushed up against the memory card ever so slightly... but that was enough to corrupt the card and make me lose that character. I get the urge to play it every once in a while, and sometimes I will fire it up, but it was too much of a gut punch to lose such a massive amount of progress. I'm a bit gunshy to put any real effort into it now.

My favorite Intellivision game was a title called Mind Strike, it worked with the ECS adaptor and keyboard. Over time I noticed that the game would black out after a while. And that time period became shorter and shorter. Now the ECS won't even come on. I've wanted to play that game for years, but I only managed to get the game working properly in emulation fairly recently. And now I don't play it much because I have the feeling it's going to die on me, even though I'm not running it on the original hardware. I get paranoid it'll start failing again, even though I know it basically can't do that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Doom 64 was a lot of fun but the frame rate on it made me motion sick, which is something FPS titles never did to me before. To this day I still can't play it.

Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriots-I got this for cheap on my PS3 years ago and I really got into it, which is something as I didn't get into a MG game since the PS1. I played it for about a half hour and then my PS3 got the yellow light. Come to find out something in the video died...and the system was only a couple months old if that. I sent it away and got a refurb from Sony. The thing has worked solid since I got it but I dared not to put that game back in.

The Original Xbox (all games)-I was a HUGE Xbox fan. I even wrote about the Official Xbox Magazine demos on this site. Eventually, like most of the systems, I started having drive issues. I swapped out the drive and life would go on. Until THAT drive gave me problems-usually would never open up again. I think I replaced the drive three times and each time I got more gun shy of playing the system, worried that it'll never open and I wouldn't be able to play it. I even softmodded it but didn't bother backing my games up so I wouldn't have the drive issues BECAUSE what if the drive croaked while doing the backing up? It got to the point where the system would just sit and collect dust and not for lack of desire and I could not find any information on how to fix the problem as replacement drives at the time dried up. I eventually traded it all in (with some great titles and accessories, like the Konami microphones for Karaoke Revolution Party) to get some gear for my new step kids for Christmas.

Later on I saw an Xbox complete in box at a Goodwill for $25. I bought it as I still had my soft mod stuff. Like other systems I ran into, the drive would not open. I searched the Internet again drives and how to fix the issue. That time, after years of looking, someone posted the solution-replace the drive belt. I never saw that before. So I go to a local store that happens to sell belts for the Xbox. I ask the clerk about it and he goes in back, apparently to get me a belt. He comes back and places an aerosol can of "belt dressing" on the counter. "This is all you need," he said. "The belts get dry and the shrink up. A few sprays of this and a little moving of the tray and it'll be good as new." I bought a can of the stuff from a hardware store, went home and disassembled my Xbox and its drive. Sure enough, after spraying the belt it works brilliantly. Now I just have to find time to actually play it and not have my teens take it over as they are nostaglic for Star Wars: Battlefront.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

In most cases, I'll never know. There are lots of games that make me motion sick because they're first-person and/or have a very choppy frame rate, but I typically don't play them long enough to really know if I like them or not. That and the motion sickness sometimes sets in so quickly that it puts a damper on any enjoyment I'd have.

I do have a few systems currently out of commission. I'd like to play 7800 games on the 7800 I found, and I imagine I'd like its version of Centipede at a bare minimum, but I can only get it to play 2600 games. My Colecovision crapped out on me at some point over the years of not playing it. I assume it's a power switch issue, as is often the case, but attempts to just clean it up and apply some lubricant haven't proved fruitful. Next step is probably to try replacing the switch entirely. And my Game Gear needs the capacitors replaced.

I'm a little iffy on Rare's N64 output, even if the general consensus is that their N64 games are great, so I don't know how I'd feel about Jet Force Gemini if I put any significant time into it. But I did read through the manual and get all set to play through the whole game years ago and liked what little I did play well enough. The only problem is that I think my copy is defective. It kept crashing on me after around 30-60 minutes to play, and I couldn't find any info out there about others experiencing the same issue. It wasn't a matter of the game being dirty. I had bought it brand new, so the cart's in perfect shape, and I keep my system clean. Every other N64 game works fine for me, so it's the damnedest thing.

I have some games I got used that I can't get working at all, so in most cases, I don't know if I'd like them. But one of them is Strider for NES, which is a game my brother had when we were kids. I know I like it from that experience, but his copy was long ago sold off. I've yet to buy another copy or figure out how to resolve the issue with the one I have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Pikmin - The backgrounds are very low res and just playing the game for a few minutes will give me a massive eye strain induced headache. Totally looking forward to the Switch port of 3 in October, finally a Pikmin I can enjoy.

Stunt Race FX - Low frame rate combined with height changes make me feel nauseous quite quickly. I still play for short bursts because I love the game. Didn't have this problem as a kid..

Legend of Zelda : The Ocarina of Time - Another title where the blurry textures make eye strain headaches the greatest opponent I face while playing the game. Thankfully I have the 3DS port now.

cool topic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Some more personal examples...

For awhile, I was addicted to (of all things) Windows 7 Solitaire, and played it a lot.... and for some reason, after awhile, it got to a point where even looking at it made me nauseous.

Something similar happened with Volfied for the Sega Genesis, where I played a ton of it but then for some reason just one day it began making me nauseous and I had to stop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 3,really fans consider it the best one in the series.Still what all ways happens i get halfway through the game then i get stuck because my silencer breaks.Then i have a hard time sneaking past enemy soldiers for the knockout.Happen to me twice all ready originally on PS2 and again for PS3 on the MGS HD collection.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i liked hard drivin in arcade but i cant play it on any home system for the obvious system performance problems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Didn't an arcade-perfect version of Hard Drivin' come out in one of the Midway Arcade Treasures packs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Didn't an arcade-perfect version of Hard Drivin' come out in one of the Midway Arcade Treasures packs?
    If perfect meant that you could fall through the ground in an endless loop at a certain point, then yes. From what I played when I had it, it felt pretty good-better than the Genesis release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

So I just found another one. I was trying to watch a speedrun of Tetris Attack (actually Pokemon Puzzle League, but they're basically the same game).

For some reason, even just watching this game makes me nauseous... even though I freaking love it. I'm not sure what it is that makes me like this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    So I just found another one. I was trying to watch a speedrun of Tetris Attack (actually Pokemon Puzzle League, but they're basically the same game).

For some reason, even just watching this game makes me nauseous... even though I freaking love it. I'm not sure what it is that makes me like this.
    Uhh don't you mean puzzle de pon ?? That's what it was originally before it became tetris attack for the snes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

PANEL de Pon, not Puzzle De Pon. Although in the west the series has consistently been called "Puzzle League" even in entries lacking the Pokemon branding.

I think I'm starting to realize what it is about puzzle games that keep making me nauseous... I'm able to handle games that require either action or planning, but my brain apparently doesn't do well mixing these two hemispheres, unless its done in a chaotic enough fashion (Burgertime doesn't bother me, and every once in awhile I can play Volfied). Real-Time Strategy games sometimes give me problems here as well, even though Warcraft II is one of my favorite games of all time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Another one that I think fits here... Last year I bought my first functioning Wii console. I started picking up games for it like crazy, since the games were so cheap and plentiful. But... I can't enjoy playing any of them. The motion controls are so inaccurate, so frustrating to use, that I can't sit down and play anything. I can see that it would have been popular with kids, but having played video games since the days of the Atari 2600 I expect my controller to genuinely control action onscreen, not just walk me off a cliff over and over. I'm too jaded by superior control schemes for decades to try and attempt to play games that have awkwardly bolted on unnecessary and bad motion controls. The Wii has a lot of interesting games in its library, but it's too damn hard to play any of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    The Wii has a lot of interesting games in its library, but it's too damn hard to play any of them.
    There are a lot of games that don't use motion control, some that only use it sparingly. And other that work like a light-gun. Some games you can use a Pro controller, or even a Game Cube controller. So I'm sure there's something in the library that you can enjoy.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    The Original Xbox (all games)-I was a HUGE Xbox fan. I even wrote about the Official Xbox Magazine demos on this site. Eventually, like most of the systems, I started having drive issues. I swapped out the drive and life would go on. Until THAT drive gave me problems-usually would never open up again. I think I replaced the drive three times and each time I got more gun shy of playing the system, worried that it'll never open and I wouldn't be able to play it. I even softmodded it but didn't bother backing my games up so I wouldn't have the drive issues BECAUSE what if the drive croaked while doing the backing up? It got to the point where the system would just sit and collect dust and not for lack of desire and I could not find any information on how to fix the problem as replacement drives at the time dried up. I eventually traded it all in (with some great titles and accessories, like the Konami microphones for Karaoke Revolution Party) to get some gear for my new step kids for Christmas.

Later on I saw an Xbox complete in box at a Goodwill for $25. I bought it as I still had my soft mod stuff. Like other systems I ran into, the drive would not open. I searched the Internet again drives and how to fix the issue. That time, after years of looking, someone posted the solution-replace the drive belt. I never saw that before. So I go to a local store that happens to sell belts for the Xbox. I ask the clerk about it and he goes in back, apparently to get me a belt. He comes back and places an aerosol can of "belt dressing" on the counter. "This is all you need," he said. "The belts get dry and the shrink up. A few sprays of this and a little moving of the tray and it'll be good as new." I bought a can of the stuff from a hardware store, went home and disassembled my Xbox and its drive. Sure enough, after spraying the belt it works brilliantly. Now I just have to find time to actually play it and not have my teens take it over as they are nostaglic for Star Wars: Battlefront.
    I'm in a similar boat with the original Xbox. While I hated the things for years due to the controllers (though I actually prefer the Duke over the S, despite having REALLY small hands), and size of the console itself, it really started to grow on me back in 2015/2016. I was rebuying games I had already owned on GameCube and PS2 simply for 720p support on those games.

But... Then I found out that if the HDD dies, so does your console (I had always thought the OS and everything was on a boot ROM like any other console). So I put the Xbox away, and haven't touched it since.

Another one is the Jaguar. I bought mine in April 2008, and immediately fell in love. I seriously LOVE this thing, and it would honestly probably be the last console I sell if I were to sell my stuff. But the cartridge port is SO fragile. Apparently the furthest right pin is extremely prone to bending every time you insert or removed a cart, and if it gets bent, your console is completely fucked. Given the prices Jaguars are going for now, I am absolutely terrified to play my Jag.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I never had any problems with my Jaguar. But then mine was a first generation, bought in the test market phase in 1993. I used mine a lot back in the day, too. I also agree with you, the Jaguar is a console worth loving. I haven't used my Jaguar CD-ROM drive in a while, and I've heard all sorts of bad things about how they're so unreliable (I ordered my first Jag CD drive directly from Atari since no store around me carried them at that time, and the first one was dead right out of the box). I'm afraid to play it again, knowing it might have died. I'd rather have a console I think still works instead of a console that I know for a fact is dead.

How much do Jaguars go for now? I don't keep up with that kind of thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

Tokimeki Memorial, can't read anything in the game, but I keep buying more versions of the first game, but at least all the puzzle games for the series are easy to understand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Dragons Lair (Arcade) ,I have downloaded it on steam for pc and have played it a few times but of course it is never as good as you remember (shattered dream) but I do want to stick with but I feel I need to spend a lot of time just hacking away at it memorizing everything which could literaly take days lol

Internet Ent Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MadMikeJ83
    Steam
    mad-miker83

Abadox for the NES, I'm terrible at it, but I enjoy it.