Thread: What are the most worthwhile Mario games on the Switch?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default What are the most worthwhile Mario games on the Switch?

So here's an oddity.... despite having a switch with like, 70 games on it now... I only own two Mario games.

Those two are Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, and.... Arcade Archives Donkey Kong.

Yeah that's right I don't have Oddysey, Party, Kart, Maker, the Great Quest to Rescue Peach, or the ability to go to hell before I die.

I don't count the SNES or NES Classic, since that's basically a rental service and I'm only considering games you can buy to own.

The game I'm most considering is Mario Maker 2, since I tend to prefer the classic side-scrollers. Growing up I loved Mario 64 but last time I tried to play it I got bored after only collecting fifty stars, but this might be a mood thing. My niece and nephew have Mario Party 4 and I enjoy that in social situations but in that case, I'd rather just stick to the one we know (and I don't know if I want to deal with the Switch installment's gimmicks).

I love the original Super Mario Kart and I remember enjoying Karty 64 and Double Dash, but not enough to actually buy them (I do own original SNES Kart), so for that I may end up going with Crash Team Racing.

Basically Mario is a weird franchise for me in that I like a lot of the classics but after 64 the series started being kinda like Scooby Doo for me, something I'm vaguely aware of but not actually interested in, and it just keeps feeling too safe and familiar, though generally competent. Maybe I'm an elitist, but I tend to prefer things with more of a unique identity. I do generally like the games when I play them but not "would pay sixty dollars for" enjoy (this is one reason I own the Rabbids one, it was on sale for twenty bucks at one point).

But I'm also wondering if I might enjoy New SMB Ultimate Edition since its a side-scroller style? All the reviews though indicate its just kinda "there" as a game though.

Also my favorite mario game is Legend of the Seven Stars, just throwing that out there.

So ummm.... recommends?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I like Super Mario Kart better as a single-player game and Mario Kart 64 more as a multi-player game, but Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is still a lot of fun. Super Mario Party is okay but gets boring to me, especially when it feels like you have no chance of winning (or when so many bonus stars are given out at the end that everything done before that feels pointless). Had some fun with Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games too, which is kind of a weird game now that the Olympics didn't actually happen this summer.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Is Super Mario 3D World on the Switch yet? Super Mario 3D Land and 3D World really give off a Super Mario Bros 3 vibe, just in 3D. Imo these are the best Mario games I've played in a long time.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ArcadePerfect's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My personal favorite right now is Yoshi's Crafted World but I highly recommend the New Super Mario Bros. collection, loved the games on the Wii-U. Super Mario 3D World is not on the Switch but of course there's Super Mario Odyssey.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArcadePerfect View Post
    My personal favorite right now is Yoshi's Crafted World but I highly recommend the New Super Mario Bros. collection, loved the games on the Wii-U. Super Mario 3D World is not on the Switch but of course there's Super Mario Odyssey.
    It wasn't but it is now. *Strikes a line through yet another Wii U game.* God I hate Nintendo. An entire generation, fu**ing waste of money. Wii U is by far the most disappointed I've ever been with a console purchase in my life.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    It wasn't but it is now. *Strikes a line through yet another Wii U game.* God I hate Nintendo. An entire generation, fu**ing waste of money. Wii U is by far the most disappointed I've ever been with a console purchase in my life.
    That system does kinda feel like it was half baked\half experimental.

Talking about Mario Odyssey-does it have a "Sonic Adventure 2" vibe at all? My kids were watching a playthrough of that game and from what I saw and how Mario moved about with Cappy, I got whiffs of Sonic's "zooming" ability, only Mario would zip to where Cappy was thrown rather than to an enemy.