So here's an oddity.... despite having a switch with like, 70 games on it now... I only own two Mario games.

Those two are Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, and.... Arcade Archives Donkey Kong.

Yeah that's right I don't have Oddysey, Party, Kart, Maker, the Great Quest to Rescue Peach, or the ability to go to hell before I die.

I don't count the SNES or NES Classic, since that's basically a rental service and I'm only considering games you can buy to own.

The game I'm most considering is Mario Maker 2, since I tend to prefer the classic side-scrollers. Growing up I loved Mario 64 but last time I tried to play it I got bored after only collecting fifty stars, but this might be a mood thing. My niece and nephew have Mario Party 4 and I enjoy that in social situations but in that case, I'd rather just stick to the one we know (and I don't know if I want to deal with the Switch installment's gimmicks).

I love the original Super Mario Kart and I remember enjoying Karty 64 and Double Dash, but not enough to actually buy them (I do own original SNES Kart), so for that I may end up going with Crash Team Racing.

Basically Mario is a weird franchise for me in that I like a lot of the classics but after 64 the series started being kinda like Scooby Doo for me, something I'm vaguely aware of but not actually interested in, and it just keeps feeling too safe and familiar, though generally competent. Maybe I'm an elitist, but I tend to prefer things with more of a unique identity. I do generally like the games when I play them but not "would pay sixty dollars for" enjoy (this is one reason I own the Rabbids one, it was on sale for twenty bucks at one point).

But I'm also wondering if I might enjoy New SMB Ultimate Edition since its a side-scroller style? All the reviews though indicate its just kinda "there" as a game though.

Also my favorite mario game is Legend of the Seven Stars, just throwing that out there.

So ummm.... recommends?