Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the most worthwhile Mario games on the Switch?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Super Mario Sunshine always felt a bit rushed to me. It is one of the reasons I was hoping for a full remake, so some of its issues could be fixed. But we're never getting that now.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    This is the Modern Gaming section, so it's only natural that the topic wouldn't cover Mario games from the 80s and 90s.
    That was a joke on how modern games mostly suck compared to older ones, that's why it's hard to recommend good games on a modern console.

So far my GBA SP systems and DS/3DS systems still have working batteries, but I've come across some used SPs with swollen batteries and have heard of plenty of people needing to replace them already. At least these are designed to be user replaceable. And I have to hope that these proprietary batteries will still be manufactured in the future, good luck buying replacement batteries for a 20 year old laptop today. Which actually reminds me that I should try to find my old Win 95 laptop and see if the battery is still good as I probably haven't used it in close to a decade.

Here's a guide on changing a Switch battery.
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintend...acement/112995

The Switch battery is glued in, and just to get to it you need to remove shielding and thermal compound which will have to be replaced when reassembling. That's not easy, and replacing adhesive along with thermal paste is an additional expense on top of a new battery. A PS3 controller battery is much easier to replace than this. Intentionally designing modern systems this way after video games have been established as long term collectibles is just insulting. They're not intended to be disposable anymore the way cell phones are. I don't get why controllers need to be wireless anyway, were people tripping over the cords? Obviously a portable system needs to be cordless but does the PS3 or PS4 need controllers to be wireless?

Capacitors are standard off the shelf parts, they'll always be available. I can't say that about all proprietary batteries. And most likely if I needed capacitors replaced I'll have to pay someone to do the work for me. I shouldn't need to do the same thing with replacing a rechargeable battery when it could have easily been designed differently, even like the SP which is user replaceable. So far I've never had an AC adapter die on me, but at least these are easily replaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Super Mario Sunshine always felt a bit rushed to me. It is one of the reasons I was hoping for a full remake, so some of its issues could be fixed. But we're never getting that now.
    I've played it for about a half hour so my experience isn't all too great with it, I just didn't completely hate it so I liked it far more than other 3D Mario games I've played. Well I guess I like Luigi's Mansion too but it's kind of a spinoff rather than a Mario game to me, I'm just thinking about main Mario games.

I really need to look into these Puyo Tetris games as I've never seen them before. I meant to comment earlier on this but forgot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    I've completed sunshine on gc but really i never liked it's camera which is one flaw that needs a fix.Still this collection seems to be a straight up port nothing more.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ArcadePerfect's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Talking about Mario Odyssey-does it have a "Sonic Adventure 2" vibe at all?
    It doesn't resemble Sonic Adventure 2 much at all in gameplay, atmosphere, or overall design imo. Sonic Generations 'SA' Sonic remix levels are like the classic Adventure games if you're looking for that though. 'Speed Highway' in Sonic Generations is amazing, just like the original. Go back to it every month or so just for that level.
    Last edited by ArcadePerfect; 09-08-2020 at 09:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArcadePerfect View Post
    It doesn't resemble Sonic Adventure 2 much at all in gameplay, atmosphere, or overall design imo. Sonic Generations 'SA' Sonic remix levels are like the classic Adventure games if you're looking for that though. 'Speed Highway' in Sonic Generations is amazing, just like the original. Go back to it every month or so just for that level.
    That's good to know. As I said, I just watched a bit of a video and got that general feeling but it must have been that particular segment.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Mario Odyssey is basically the best Banjo-Kazooie game ever made.