Okay, sometimes I don't get the "first installment wins" mentality.

Case in point, Dig Dug.

I'm gonna be honest... I don't see why anyone would've been entertained by the original Dig Dug, even back in its own time. The game is freaking boring, there's no panache to killing the monsters, the only gimmick is dropping rocks but you can only do that a few times per level and its kinda awkward to pull off... the game just gets dull very early in.

On a more practical note, growing up I actually never played Dig Dug I because it wasn't on the NES in America. You know what was, though?

Dig Dug II (subtitled "Trouble in Paradise" on the NES).

Now this... THIS game is awesome.

It's overhead now, and instead of just digging tunnels, you have a jackhammer that can MAKE LANDMASSES COLLAPSE.

Seriously, that alone is more entertaining than anything the first game did. Drop a rock? Pshaw, you can dump those monsters into the ocean with one well-placed dig!

That said, I'll admit it actually takes some people awhile to figure out this is even a mechanic--I see so many people thinking the inflation pump is their only weapon for whatever reason.

Unfortunately it seems like whenever Dig Dug is discussed, its only the original, people don't even know there's a sequel... and it doesn't help that said sequel doesn't get re-released as often (just checking Wikipedia, its on the Wii, DS, possibly the X-Box One or 360 I couldn't tell... and the Switch, tho the Switch has the NES version--fortunately this is one case where the home port isn't all that different and may arguably be slightly better. There was also some sort of mini arcade machine that had it, and a cartridge for something called the Evercade).

So.... what are ya'lls thoughts on this? Why do you think Dig Dug II gets so overlooked? Which game do you think is the superior entry?