Thread: 3DS Production Has Ended

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Default 3DS Production Has Ended

According to a NintendoLife article, Nintendo has confirmed that 3DS/2DS production is no longer after about 9 years being on the market.

Even though the 3D effect eventually got sidelined, it was a pretty neat trick without needing glasses. The New 3DS line made that feature a whole lot better with the eye tracking. It had a whole lot of social features built in that I have seen people use but when I got on board, the system was pretty much replaced by phones, so I never got a chance to use that stuff.

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

A shame, but not entirely unexpected, given the popularity of the Switch and Switch Lite. I think the New 2DS XL was the only model from the series still being offered in the US up to this point.

Last year, I lucked out and found a New 3DS XL at a flea market for all of $10, not long before (or after) it'd been discontinued. Haven't picked up many games for it yet, but it's a fun system to play regardless.
    -Adam

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Lamest Nintendo handheld I owned. Meh

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I do own one but I really haven't played any 3DS games on it. I find it's harder to come across these games used than older games were, like finding GB/GBC/GBA or DS games was somewhat common at garage sales, thrift shops, or classified ads for pretty cheap prices like $5 each or less. With 3DS I hardly ever found any used games for cheap prices, usually people want $20-$30+ for anything decent, I've only found cheap games for titles really not worth owning. I'm not sure why that is when I could still find various Wii games for cheap everywhere, it's like most people who bought a 3DS were collectors instead of general consumers or children.

Maybe I'll come across some of the better games so I can actually play them, I've been interested in Corpse Party since I heard it was coming out on the system.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ArcadePerfect's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Mostly played Kirby Triple Deluxe on the Nintendo 3DS as exclusive originals go.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Have to be honest, I got mine mostly to serve as an upgraded Nintendo DS console. The 3D feature didn't really appeal to me and I'm not sure that the games released in the 3DS era were that spectacular. The DS period from 2005 - 2010 was a really great time for those games, with Radiant Historia being arguably the last truly great original release (not a sequel, remake, or franchise tie-in) for the system. I have a few games I've been meaning to go back to and finish - great reminder that I should do that.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryudo View Post
    Lamest Nintendo handheld I owned. Meh
    I find the 3DS to be the best handheld I own. The DS and 3DS had the best games that we've ever seen on a Nintendo portable, and the 3DS has backwards compatibility. You're of course losing GBA support, but I find 3DS/DS library better than the DS/GBA library. Provided you get a New 3DS XL and have an IPS screen, the resolution drop is going to actually not make a difference with the much better color of the IPS. There's a chance both the top and bottom can be IPS, just the top, or just the bottom.

You can tell if you turn the screen and it immediately discolorizes to where you can't see. Certain IPS screens are also better as some do still fade when you turn the screen but can still be easily seen at an angle.

Anyways for me, the 3DS is my second favorite portable of all time right behind the PSP because of both the 3D effect and the backwards compatibility. I absolutely love the 3D effect and I'll play it with 3D on as much as possible. The head tracking on the New 3DS XL is alone what caused me to get the newest iteration despite feeling the original 3DS XL is the more comfortable of the 3DS line of units and if you don't own one of those then I'd recommend getting an XL version as they actually feel better than the New 3DS XL in a lot of ways.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.