Thread: Nintendo 64 joystick replacements

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Nintendo 64 joystick replacements

I replaced my joysticks years ago and I am pretty happy with them HOWEVER, I am concerned about the dead zone on the new sticks. I know there is software to test the X and Y axis values on your sticks but I have to such software.

Anyone have a recommendation on good brands for replacement sticks? Im not a fan of the GameCube style looking ones. Prefer to have as close to the original as possible and with good "range" so to speak. Id post pictures of the one I have but the uploader doesnt work

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've been on the hunt for "OEM" style N64 sticks as well, but so far have not found anything that didn't scream "junk". I know there are a few projects out there, like Steel Sticks 64 but there hasn't been much talk of anything actually produced that'd be superior to what's already out there. This place sells the parts that wear out the most, but I'm not sure about their stock. "Gam3Gear Replacement 3D Joystick Thumbstick Repair Parts for Nintendo N64" read to be highly recommended on Reddit but I can't find anyone that has stock in it, not even on eBay.

I got a Gamecube style stick from The GOAT Store and it feels pretty good. I could manuever and do acrobatics with Mario in SMB 64 and could hold my own in F-Zero X but I haven't really put the stick through any rigorous testing yet. I couldn't detect a "dead zone" as a slight nudge and Mario began to tip toe but it doesn't take much to go to a walk and then a run.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Ill probably wait until the Steel Stick is released. If they can get almost a 1:1 replication of the original and the parts dont wear down, Im in.

I see a lot of goofy 3rd party controllers and Ive never had good luck with them or the build quality just seems cheap. nothing beats OEM

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

3rd party stuff once analogs because prevalent are just trash on almost every console. My N64/Gamecube controllers are mostly ones I've owned for decades, and kept well. I used to pick up tons of ebay lots and craigslist finds years ago, kept the pristine stuff.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I got really lucky and found a couple of good OEM N64 controllers that were nice and stiff. I use them exclusively except when a game in Mario Party comes up that requires you to rotate the stick vigorously. If that happens I have some OEM controllers with aftermarket sticks but it just seems like they dont work like they are supposed to. I can dominate on the 1 vs 3 rapids level if I am the 1 but if I play the tug of war game and Im on the 3 side I just get brutalized. Like the computers on my team arent even trying. i remember always at least having a chance back in the day when our sticks were nice and hard.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Another option, though costly I'd think these days, would be to get a Hori controller from Japan. I have the mini one, which works great, but they also made some full sized ones.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I'm pretty sure I have both of those. The GameCube style one doesn't seem to work that well in the Mario Party games when you have to flail your joystick around vigorously. The other one seems that way as well but I can't tell if it's my technique or the stick. I think I recorded my spins with the Mecha Fly Guy between OEM and the two pictured but I dont remember what the results were. Just seemed like OEM gave me the most spins

kinda funny because I already answered your question in post #5. 4 months ago
    Last edited by gbpxl; 01-19-2021 at 08:20 PM.