Thread: games similar to Wonder Boy in Monster Land?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default games similar to Wonder Boy in Monster Land?

So recently, this was on sale on the Switch eshop and I bought it, and honestly... I kinda like Wonder Boy in Monster Land so far.

I recall playing it a long time ago in the distant past, but back then I think I preferred its sequel, Wonder Boy The Dragon's Trap (which I played on the TG16 under the name "Dragon's Curse").

But playing WBiML now tho... I feel like there isn't enough like it.

And the thing is, its actually hard to pin down what being "like" Monster Land is, because a couple of other games do feel like they scratch similar itches. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link for example, and even some aspects of Hollow Knight. I'm sure nobody but me has ever thought that those three games have anything in common before (and honestly, its hard to pin down what points of commonality I'm seeing.... with Hollow Knight its mostly the swordplay and the way coins drop from defeated enemies, but all three have a sort of "plays like a platformer, feels like an RPG" sort of thing going on).

Monster Land makes me wonder why there weren't more attempts at this "RPG for the arcade" thing. Its paradoxically relaxing despite the time limit. The only other thing I can think of is Cadash.

Also yes I'm aware of Monster Land's own sequels, which I need to pick up at some point.

But besides that, anyone know any games they would call "similar to Wonder Boy in Monster Land?"

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I would suggest Monster Boy for the PS4/Switch. Although it is basically a sequel, it is a very good game. It's not exactly like Monster Land, but it's pretty damn close. That game is modern though, and I honestly can't think of any other games that are quite like it for classic systems other than the sequels. Also FYI Monster Land physicals have gone up, not sure if the entry fee would be worth it to you, but digital is an option.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Faxanadu

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

If you haven't played the other wonderboy games yet i still suggest monster world IV.Officially it came out to the west digitally for wii,360 and PS3 it's also included on the genesis mini.Another series i guess that is similar to wonderboy is the shantae series all of them came out digitally for the switch.The most recent one of course is shantae and the seven sirens.

Note,LRG is still taking preorders for the original shantae on switch beside them doing a reprint of it for the gbc.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Wait, the *entire* Shantae series is on Switch now? Last time I looked it was only Half-Genie Hero, Risky's Revenge, and Seven Sirens.

Altho I wouldn't mind that GBC reprint either, god knows my GBA barely gets any love these days.

Back to Wonder Boy, I looked up prices and apparently, WB in Monster World for Genesis goes for forty bucks now, which... I might be able to swing that. Apparently there was a reprint of its Turbo CD version, The Dynastic Hero, by PCE Works. I don't know if their reprints are just burns or if they actually have professionally pressed disks, but if its the latter (IE if it won't kill the laser on my unit) then I might be tempted to go for it... it seems the same price as WB in Monster World.

Monster World IV... well I may have a reason to get a Genesis Mini now. Or a repro cart. Perhaps both.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Wait, the *entire* Shantae series is on Switch now? Last time I looked it was only Half-Genie Hero, Risky's Revenge, and Seven Sirens.

Altho I wouldn't mind that GBC reprint either, god knows my GBA barely gets any love these days.

Back to Wonder Boy, I looked up prices and apparently, WB in Monster World for Genesis goes for forty bucks now, which... I might be able to swing that. Apparently there was a reprint of its Turbo CD version, The Dynastic Hero, by PCE Works. I don't know if their reprints are just burns or if they actually have professionally pressed disks, but if its the latter (IE if it won't kill the laser on my unit) then I might be tempted to go for it... it seems the same price as WB in Monster World.

Monster World IV... well I may have a reason to get a Genesis Mini now. Or a repro cart. Perhaps both.
    Yes,shantae the pirates curse,half genie hero,risky revenge,the seven sirens are on the e-shop digitally.I don't think the first shantae is out yet but it's suppose to be out soon i just put in a order earlier with lrg for switch.Also,pce works reproductions are pressed i have one for dynastic hero and it plays correctly.Still the game is just a rebranded version of wonderboy in monster world for the genesis and it's included on the mini.