Thread: Question for Sega CD collectors (Flink + Repros)

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Question for Sega CD collectors (Flink + Repros)

I bought a copy of Flink for sega cd about a year ago, on Ebay. My question for Sega CD collectors that own this game: Does the spine on the game look like a little darker shade of blue than the rest of your sega CD games? Mine is, and I was wondering if anyone else has a good sized collection and noticed the same. I keep getting this feeling like I got duped with a reproduction, but I don't know what that particular game looks like stacked next to others for other people's collections.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I bought a copy of Flink for sega cd about a year ago, on Ebay. My question for Sega CD collectors that own this game: Does the spine on the game look like a little darker shade of blue than the rest of your sega CD games? Mine is, and I was wondering if anyone else has a good sized collection and noticed the same. I keep getting this feeling like I got duped with a reproduction, but I don't know what that particular game looks like stacked next to others for other people's collections.
    I'm not seeing a difference on mine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-10-23-18-39-30.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	10791

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

It definitely looks darker than the other games.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Look at the art close up with a magnifying glass, you should be able to tell if it's a clean print or if it looks like it was reprinted from a scanned image.

I did come across a fake cover for Sonic 3 once, it looked almost perfect except the colours were off. Sometimes you can only tell if you compare the fakes next to a legit one.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

damn scammers. burn in Hell!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It's possible that it's a different shade of colour as it's from a different print run, it's difficult to know for sure without closely examining it. Sometimes different runs can look different slightly.

The main reason I suspected that the Sonic 3 art was fake was because the case and cartridge were obvious pirate versions, comparing the cover art against a real one confirmed it. Like the red stripe on the box was just a single shade of red while the original should be two shades of red. The actual quality of the art was clear and not blurry, I was really surprised with just how good it was. Maybe it was very slightly worse but I can't remember anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I actually put a little bit of my coin collecting experience to use and took a look under the jewelers loop. I compared it to the art of Dark Wizard since the name of the game on the spine has similar colors. I feel like the artwork is legit. The logo on both dark wizard and flink had the same "dot" appearance to the print. I took it a step further and looked at the actual surface of the card stock on the printed side, it was identical. I also looked how the spine connecting to the back was perforated on both games, also identical. I think it may have just come out darker in the print run. If it is a reprint, the took a lot of time to get some of the finer details to match.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mailman187666 For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (10-25-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually put a little bit of my coin collecting experience to use and took a look under the jewelers loop. I compared it to the art of Dark Wizard since the name of the game on the spine has similar colors. I feel like the artwork is legit. The logo on both dark wizard and flink had the same "dot" appearance to the print. I took it a step further and looked at the actual surface of the card stock on the printed side, it was identical. I also looked how the spine connecting to the back was perforated on both games, also identical. I think it may have just come out darker in the print run. If it is a reprint, the took a lot of time to get some of the finer details to match.
    The key with most SegaCD games is they've got that heavier cardstock for the back insert and the perforated edges. The only exception to this I can think of off the top of my head is Earthworm Jim for SegaCD where the back insert is just like lighter printed paper. I thought I had a boot at first but confirmation with many other people shows that they were just being cheap. Makes sense since it was a late game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    The key with most SegaCD games is they've got that heavier cardstock for the back insert and the perforated edges. The only exception to this I can think of off the top of my head is Earthworm Jim for SegaCD where the back insert is just like lighter printed paper. I thought I had a boot at first but confirmation with many other people shows that they were just being cheap. Makes sense since it was a late game.
    Yep, the card stock was identical to any other legit sega cd game that I have. I should keep an eye on ebay and see of any other slightly darker ones show up.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If someone were going to spend the time to get something pretty close to perfect you would tend to think they would do it on a much more expensive game like Keio or Snatcher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nebrazca88 View Post
    If someone were going to spend the time to get something pretty close to perfect you would tend to think they would do it on a much more expensive game like Keio or Snatcher.
    That's exactly what I thought too. The time would outweigh the reward, in this sense, unless it was manufactured in bulk that way for pennies. In which case you may have seen a decline in quality.