Thread: Can Vita games still be updated?

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Can Vita games still be updated?

Exactly what the title says. I popped in a game I hadn't popped in yet and couldn't get the update to start. Did the changes they made recently make it so you can't get updates for physical games?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I don't know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Yes. Don't remember what game I played recently, but the orange circle update thingie appeared and forced an update.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'm pretty sure it depends on the game. A lot of Vita games already have the server shut down, I know that mostly affects online play but I think it would also affect updates for that game as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I popped in both Gravity Rush and Velocity 2x (both of which I hadn't previously installed) and I couldn't get it to push the updates through. Both stayed on 1.00 and the yellow arrow never popped up to update. I'm able to connect to the internet with it and I have gained access to the store just fine. I know that there have been some news of Sony taking away PSP, Vita, and PS3 games from the store, but wasn't sure if that locked away updates. I heard you can still re-download games you already own through. I even hit that little "refresh button" on the game page, when you first click the game icon. I used to be able to update games with no iussue on my console, so I really can't see it being any kind of connection problem with my Vita.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I can't see companies still allowing for support of any of their old products. They want to force people to buy their new stuff. Who can blame them.

That's why I almost exclusively buy physical media that doesn't require an internet connection to work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    Exactly what the title says. I popped in a game I hadn't popped in yet and couldn't get the update to start. Did the changes they made recently make it so you can't get updates for physical games?
    I don't know about updates but sony has put out a notice you will be no longer be able to buy for the psp,vita and ps3 digitally.Which ends on oct 28th.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I also heard that notice. Does anyone have a used vita game, that has not been installed yet, that they can test and see if the update comes through for them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    I don't know about updates but sony has put out a notice you will be no longer be able to buy for the psp,vita and ps3 digitally.Which ends on oct 28th.
    I thought that was from their shop web page. You should still be able to buy games through the Vita on the PS Store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    I thought that was from their shop web page. You should still be able to buy games through the Vita on the PS Store.
    Dunno in the e-mail i got from sony awhile ago that's what they stated.I don't know it was confusing what's being changed etc unless it's just the website itself ? Then again all these changes that are going on with the PS5 coming out next month.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 10-27-2020 at 11:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's not what my e-mail said.

"Our brand-new PlayStation™Store launches on web and mobile from 21 – 26 October 2020, and we are making some changes to the content you can access on PS Store via your desktop and mobile devices.

What is changing?
    The following changes will come into effect online from 21 – 26 October, and on mobile on 28 October:

• You will no longer be able to buy:
    o PlayStation®3 games and add-ons
    o PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) games and add-ons
    o PlayStation®Vita games and add-ons
    o Apps
    o Themes
    o Avatars

• The Wishlist feature will be discontinued and any items currently on “Your Wishlist” will be removed.

What does this mean for you?
    The content listed above will no longer be available to buy on PS Store when accessed via a desktop or mobile device. However, you will still be able to buy PS3™, PSP or PS Vita content by accessing PS Store directly from your PS3, PSP or PS Vita. PlayStation®4 apps, themes and avatars can also be downloaded via PS Store on your PS4™ console.

What about the content you already own?
    You will still be able to access all your previously purchased PS3, PSP or PS Vita content as before. Your existing PS4 apps, themes and avatars will remain on your PS4 console."

The e-mail I received (And quoted above) clearly is talking about legacy purchasing from the PC and mobile storefronts and says in b&w that you can still buy directly from the console itself.

So I better still be able to buy games off the PS3 store right from the console. Although I made a long planned buy of PS3 downloads off the Japanese storefront a couple of weeks ago on my PC after this news hit (Much easier with Chrome auto translating for me than doing it from my PS3 directly), I still have about 2 dozen downloads I want to grab off the western marketplaces before the eventual end of service.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Mailman187666, is your Vita's firmware upgraded to current? I suppose that might be an issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Mailman187666, is your Vita's firmware upgraded to current? I suppose that might be an issue.
    Yes I believe it is, but I should take another look into that. I haven't picked up my Vita since I started this thread and messing around with updates.