Thread: Did anybody here take part in or win the 1993 Cool Spot Contest for SNES?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Did anybody here take part in or win the 1993 Cool Spot Contest for SNES?

Hello everybody,

I'm planning on making a mini-documentary on 7Up's Cool Spot contest (along with other promotional games that were released at the time). For those not aware, 7Up released a promotional game for the Super Nintendo called "Cool Spot." If you completed the game with 100% completion, you were asked to take a picture of the screen, which you could send it to receive a prize. My little brother and I completed the game back in the day, but the contest had already ended by the time we could claim the prize, and we always wondered what could have been...

In my quest to learn more about this contest over the years, I have only ever come up empty. A few people in old forum posts claimed to win, but there is no consistency about what the prize was, and no proof from anybody that anything was ever received.

There was a forum post here back in the day: https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/s...OOL-SPOT-PRIZE, but user @MasterWeedo was flamed into oblivion for using all caps without anybody responding. So I ask again:

Did anybody here win a prize? What was it? Does anybody else have any details about the contest they'd be willing to share? Any leads about who I might be able to contact?

Thank you,
    Deep

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

That thread looks like the president's Twitter feed at 3 A.M.

anyways I know nothing about it besides the fact that I beat the Genesis version earlier this year and thought it was a decent enough platformer. sorry I cant help you

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Most game contests(or contests in general), from what I've seen are bogus. Like the Castlevania 3 "win a trip to Dracula's hometown" or the Acton 52 $104,000 or Color Dreams cartidge contest. Or even The Simpsons "who shot mr. Burns" Contest. No one ever wins them. Good luck on your search though.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peeingas View Post
    Or even The Simpsons "who shot mr. Burns" Contest. No one ever wins them.
    There actually was a winner for that Simpsons contest, even though nobody actually guessed the correct answer they still gave out the prize to somebody. The winner chose a cash prize instead of being included in an episode.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/10/the-...marketing.html

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    There actually was a winner for that Simpsons contest, even though nobody actually guessed the correct answer they still gave out the prize to somebody. The winner chose a cash prize instead of being included in an episode.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/10/the-...marketing.html
    Yeah, but if you do some checking, they misrepresented what the prize actually was. All you got was a drawing of yourself with the Simpsons, you didn't actually get to star in an episode. I would have taken the cash in that case as well.