While it is difficult to define the term "failed" as there are so many different ways to define it (for examples: hardware unit sales, software sales, marketplace percentage, mind-share, gameplay genre variety, the presence of your favorite genre, and limited or non-existent worldwide success versus local territorial success), we all know when a console is considered a "failure" or a "second runner." For two examples, though many people like them or the games for them, the Nintendo Virtual Boy and the SEGA 32X might be considered failures by the overall popular mindset of gamers.

There are so many underappreciated consoles to choose from that I won't list them all here. But I will say that some of my favorite under-performing consoles include the SEGA Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket Color, and the SEGA Dreamcast. Sure, there were consoles that sold worse than these so they aren't failures per se; however, they definitely weren't the best-selling consoles of their respective generations though they are all well worth playing with excellent games for their console libraries.

All that being said, which consoles are your "favorite failures?"