Thread: Looking for Sony Trinitron Recommendations / What Model Is This One?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Looking for Sony Trinitron Recommendations / What Model Is This One?

Hi All!

I've got a 13" Sony Trinitron by my desk which I love, but I would like to also have a larger one in a different room because ultimately the 13" is a little small (although perfect for the spot it's in)...

I found this one on craigslist, I'm curious if anyone knows what model # it is because the seller couldn't be bothered to check for me lol

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...212887596.html

I have been leaning towards 27"...

Ideally, I would love to find a KV-27FV310 or something like a KV-27FS100...

I think this one would be great but I'm not sure if they still have it...

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds...216441164.html

So what do you all recommend? Bonus points if you can identify that model in the link above... if it's decent I might just go pick it up!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Why not pick one up for free? There are a few in your area listed for free, at least a few Sonys. There are other decent ones too, like Toshiba or Samsung as well that I haven't listed. It's a bit lazy of that seller to not bother listing a model number and having a terrible photo, I wouldn't buy a TV from him out of spite.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/pml...223067368.html
    https://vancouver.craigslist.org/pml...208359085.html
    https://vancouver.craigslist.org/pml...216440906.html

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I 100% agree with you about that seller lol.

Free is always the goal but it would be technically cheaper for me to just buy the $20 one that's only a few minutes drive away vs a free one that's an hour or two drive away.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    It's a bit lazy of that seller to not bother listing a model number and having a terrible photo, I wouldn't buy a TV from him out of spite.
    Welcome to the frustrating world of CRT hunting. Here are the rules:

-All listing photos must be at poor angles.
    -Make sure to take 15 photos of the front of the set, and 0 photos of the rear.
    -Include "retro","vintage", "gaming", and/or "rare" all over your listing.
    -Model number? Inputs? Dunno, too lazy to look behind the TV.
    -Just guess on the size. 40"? 50"? Must've been somewhere around there.
    -"Bring a strong friend, it's heavy"

Anyway, start hanging out on r/crtgaming and check out their classifieds listings. Know that the FV310 in any size is rare and especially the smaller 27" version. And don't limit yourself to Sony. JVC and Toshiba made some decent late-model sets with S-video and component inputs towards the early 00s.
    Last edited by jperryss; 11-11-2020 at 07:13 AM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

CRT Collective Facebook group is very active. I've found that if the owner isn't willing to respond with a model no. it's not worth your time. Almost any grey Trinitron will be a great unit. I prefer 27", as the 32 and up are way too heavy. Keep in mind, the free ones often are not ones you can test, so you pick it up and pray it's working properly. Otherwise it's now YOUR problem.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Any particular reason you want a Trinitron?

I have a Magnavox. It's not perfect but I liked it more than the Trinitron I threw in the dumpster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

When I was looking a couple of years ago I found a bunch of people on craigslist giving them away for free (and a few people way overcharging trying to sell them as retro game TVs). But seriously, if I had the space I could have picked up a lot of them.

As for why they're desirable...the one I ended up getting has the best RF input I've ever seen...looks as good as S-video on other sets. I ended up modding it for RGB and the picture is nice and sharp. Near PVM quality.
    The JVC I was previously using, the colors were noticeably(to me anyways) bleeding into each other...even on S-Video. That's not to say that there aren't better sets, especially if you want a more curved screen, JVC and Toshiba were mentioned. I'll add Phillips to the mix. I think I've seen more of those with component inputs than any others.

The only downside to Trinitrons is that once you notice that horizontal wire across the screen, it's hard to retrain your brain to ignore it.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    The only downside to Trinitrons is that once you notice that horizontal wire across the screen, it's hard to retrain your brain to ignore it.
    If you're only displaying 240p content, you can usually V shift the image in a way that the stabilization wire lands between rastered lines. I've gone through literally dozens of aperture grille CRTs including PVM/BVMs, consumer TVs, and VGA monitors, and the wire only bothers me with VGA monitors due to the high resolution and the fact that there were usually two wires instead of one.
    Last edited by jperryss; 11-13-2020 at 08:39 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Trinitrons are great sets, when they're working. We used to have a 27" SD Trinitron in our living room, but it conked out after 10 years of nearly constant use. I found another 27" set for a friend's game room several years back, and it's still working. While our old 27" set is gone, I still have a few smaller sets, including a 14" PVM and a 13" tabletop set which has color issues (probably an issue with the degaussing coil, hopefully relatively minor). I recently picked up a KV-1710 17" portable from the early '70s, one of the first 'large screen' Trinitron sets (most of the earliest Trinitron sets were 12" or smaller), and they weren't cheap back then, either. Here are a few pictures, including a couple of it hooked to my NES Toploader:

Last edited by AdamAnt316; 11-13-2020 at 11:12 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I wish I had more space for spare Trinitrons. There are two I missed out on locally that I still think about; the first was one offered on craigslist for free, it was a Multisystem model that would have been imported from overseas. It would have been useful for NTSC and PAL video, and these models aren't common to find here. The second was from the Salvation Army, a small white model with a built in VCR and came with the original remote, it was priced $9.99. I just really lacked the space and didn't know where to put them, I probably should have found a way somehow.

I've seen other models people left at their curb, including early 80's models. No idea if they're working or not but plenty of people still throw out fully working TVs.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Hang around your nearest Best Buy long enough and you'll find someone hauling a CRT in that I am sure will offer it to you if you ask