Thread: Remakes: How Different Should They Be?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Question Remakes: How Different Should They Be?

How faithful should a remake or "re-imagining" of a game be to the original game? How different should it be for it to be worthwhile? Should companies that want to make remakes just focus on sequels instead of rehashing the same story and gameplay of the original? Should companies instead put their efforts into making sure the original games can be played on today's consoles via faithful emulation of the originals instead of higher-priced remakes? Should things be more like the early old days when innovation was seen as the key to success instead of sequels and remakes - kind of like during the golden age of Activision and Imagic? And what about the same for movies, TV shows, books, comics, or other series?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YoshiDM
    PSN
    YoshiDM
    3DS Friend
    0860-4642-4923

Oof...tough question to answer with some objectivity. Personally, it'd be nice if companies DON'T crank out the remakes or reboots and give people something fresh. If you're going to dive into the back catalog, then bring the originals back BUT make them more accessible to the modern audience, like the NES/SNES/GEN/TG16 minis do with save states. That way we folk that grew up with the games who don't have the same amount of time as then can enjoy these titles and go back to them where we left off and new folks have that save state in case they get their rears handed to them. Resist the urge to redo the game with a fresh coat of paint. That's my thought anyway.

However, playing on nostalgia is big business and it's a "safe bet" to do something that's already been treaded on. It's just doing it right is the hard part to try to keep the old and new audiences.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

It depends on the game, and how the remake turns out. Plenty of remakes are better than the original, others are worse or overall pointless. I'm pretty sure the first Leisure Suit Larry was a remake of a text adventure. There's also enhanced versions like early VGA upgrades to earlier 16 colour games on PC, these are usually good. Other old arcade games like Pong or Centipede were remade into new games, these don't really replace the original versions and are also good.

It mostly depends on how badly the first game played whether a remake is really worth playing over the original, usually I prefer to play the original version.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ArcadePerfect's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I feel the Resident Evil remake on GameCube and the more recent Resident Evil 2 Remake on PS4/Xbox One captured the essence of the originals perfectly while updating visuals & controls to a modern standard.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I've actually been enjoying these brand new remakes better than what we've received as a graphical remake. If I want to go play these older games, I can go back and play these older games on pretty much any of the systems that I have them on. A graphical remake is fine, but honestly they're just the same game.

The remakes follow the same game sure, but you're having an overall different experience, so whether it's Resident Evil, Wild ARMs Alter Code F, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3, Final Fantasy 7, DmC Devil May Cry, Castlevania Chronicles, Lufia Curse of the Sinistrals, Ys Oath in Felghana, etc, they're all new games and that interests me more.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I'm okay with sequels, I'm not really that big on remasters of games that were already on HD systems. Something like Medevil went for PS1 to PS4, I liked that. A PS3 game remastered on PS4, not so much. I don't think I'm the target audience for remasters though. The only time I really get into them is if it's a game or series that I missed the first time around, such as the first 3 Uncharted games. I didn't play the PS3 versions, so I picked up the trilogy on PS4. I think it was worth waiting to play those on PS4.