Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S - Your Thoughts

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S - Your Thoughts

What are your impressions of the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X|S consoles? Prices? Controllers? Games? Which games would you play if you have or had one?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I don't see the Series S lasting very long. I heard developers are frustrated with having to produce a game on three different platforms (PS5, Series S, Series X) versus two (PS4 and Xbox One). I don't know why anyone would opt for a "budget" console if they need the latest tech. If they were budget-conscious to begin with, I imagine theyd be more likely to stay with the PS4/Xbone or even just the PS3/360. I predict that the Series S will be dead by 2022.

The PS5 design isnt something Im a fan of. Its good theyre doing something different but man... just not a fan.

At this point I think naming conventions are awful. The numbering of the consoles just makes every previous gen seem dated. Telling someone you still play PlayStation 3 makes you sound like a dinosaur or that youre broke. I dont feel the way if I tell someone I still play GameCube
    Last edited by gbpxl; 11-21-2020 at 09:56 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The excitement of a new generation definitely fades when most of the games are cross-generation releases.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'm going to get a PS5 but it'll be April next year at the earliest. I decided I'm going to try and work off my backlog of PS4 and 3DS games or atleast as much as I can and I'm still picking up games I'm interested in. Not going to pick up any games cross gen with PS4 and by the time I do pick them up next year, they should be cheap. I'll be picking up all three Sony launch titles, the Miles Morales Special Edition with the original Spider-Man included, Demon's Souls, and Sackboy's Big Adventure(I don't like Sackboy, but this game looks really good.) It's the most effort that Sony themselves have ever put into a launch line up, and then next year they're releasing another five games.

I'm also glad that developers are starting to push framerates over graphics though. Faster framerate is more appealing because a smoother picture as well as less input lag. Seeing how well the PS5 does backwards compatibility as well is nice, games that can run at 60fps can actually meet that goal, so Until Dawn, Resident Evil Revelations 2, etc.

I technically do have one PS5 game since I did preorder Cthulu Saves Christmas from LRG, just won't be playing it for quite some time.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    The numbering of the consoles just makes every previous gen seem dated. Telling someone you still play PlayStation 3 makes you sound like a dinosaur or that youre broke.
    That's probably why they do it, to push people into buying new consoles instead of sticking with their old ones.

I also find the PS5 ugly to look at, I haven't paid much attention to the latest Xbox whatever so I can't remember what it looks like. Is it the box looking air purifier/humidifier thing, or was that just concept art that didn't make it to production? I just don't get excited for new games or hardware anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I don't like the design for PS5 but i'm still interested in the console mostly for the demon's souls remake.Also coming from a long time fan of the souls series this is a must for me.

Still i didn't save up for one so i couldn't have bought one at launch even if i tried.Maybe next year at the latest i will still with demand out stripping it's supply who knows.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 12-14-2020 at 04:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't see the Series S lasting very long. I heard developers are frustrated with having to produce a game on three different platforms (PS5, Series S, Series X) versus two (PS4 and Xbox One).
    They're not going to scuttle it anytime soon. Microsoft is committed to supporting people that have bought it, so Series S software support has to continue for a respectable amount of time. And because of that, they may as well continue to manufacture and sell the system.

At worst if it's just not selling well enough to justify maintaining a production line and retail partners don't want to stock it, they'll discontinue production. But their hands are tied for software support and they can't pull that plug anytime soon. People bought the Series S based on promises and MS isn't going to risk tons of bad publicity, disgruntled customers, and probably some class action lawsuits by cancelling support a few months after launch and leaving Series S owners as orphans. Whether or not developers like it, mandatory Series S support is going to be sticking around at least into the mid 2020's.

Considering the similarity that consoles have with PC hardware these days and how scaleable PC games have to be in order to run on a wide variety of systems with drastically varying degrees of horsepower, it's hard to imagine MS having two levels of power here is too much of a hindrance for developers. Heck, even console specific developers should be getting used to different tiers of power by now thanks to the Xbox One X and Playstation 4 Pro.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-22-2020 at 06:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I don't think the series S is going to last very long when the console is already running with worse textures, 1080p or less resolution in most cases, and stuff like "as low as 576p resolution." Yakuza Like a Dragon it runs at 900p in order to hit 60fps, a last gen title. Compare that to the PS4 who ran the PS3 version of Yakuza 0, another last gen title at 1080p/60.

Dirt 5's resolution mode runs at 60fps with something in the 1100s as the max resolution and the game already runs with a lot of textures being removed(Grass Gate returns.) The 120fps mode runs as low as 576p. Assassin's Creed Valhalla runs at 1080p/30. These are only launch games that are also cross gen, so nothing considerable compared to what we'd see in the future but it's already running poorly.

I said this prior to the release, but it's not like a PC where you can just scale back certain settings, they have to specifically develop for the hardware since just scaling back baked in features like shadows, AA, etc, isn't going to do anything. They have to specifically make sure they're running at solid performance, and in order to do this, developers might start making compromises for more powerful hardware and develop for the Series S and then put the effort into upscaling and increasing the other consoles features, this will just hold back game development, especially when other consoles have that much less work put into them when devs have to waste their time on the Series S.

I'm sure most people out there haven't purchased a Series S yet, Microsoft should cut their losses with it, give up to a specific point in time for people who bought one to get a refund, and then give the system a home beside E.T.

*edit* Microsoft won't cut their losses with it though, instead of losing hundreds of millions on whatever is currently produced, they'd rather pass those savings along to the devs that will be forced to work on the console and the publishers who are paying for development costs. If you ask me, this is going to hurt Microsoft more than help them if devs just stop bothering with the Xbox altogether because of the Series S. They don't get as much third party support compared to Playstation as is, and you can forget about a indie dev that can't afford to release on all three consoles as going with Xbox first.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-22-2020 at 09:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    I don't like the design for PS5 but i'm still interested in the console mostly for the demon's souls remake.Also coming from a long time fan of the souls series this is a must for me.
    Dark Souls 3 had a patch that I think is included on the Fire Fades edition that adds a 60fps cap, so on the PS4 since it can't hit 60fps it's essentially an uncapped framerate, but on PS5 it runs at 60fps according to Digital Foundry. So the entire Souls series excluding Bloodborne(30fps cap,) will run 60fps on the PS5. I don't like Sekiro, but unpatched it also has a 60fps cap so it can also run 60fps.

///

As for me, I like how the PS5 looks, I just don't care for how large it is. Well, I own a Space Heater PS3, a Jet Engine PS4, and I'll eventually own a Space Station PS5. *edit* I do prefer simple, but I think it looks good visually.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-22-2020 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I just wish Microsoft would learn how to give their consoles good, memorable names. "Xbox". Good name. "Xbox 360". Again, good solid name that shows a progression between generations. "Xbox One". Um... shouldn't that technically be referring to the first generation console? No? I'm honestly not entirely sure what to call their consoles since they have such non-distinctive names. "Xbox One X"? "Xbox Series X"? Go screw yourself, Microsoft. How are they still in business with that complete and utter lack of originality?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Seems premature to label the Series S a commercial failure when I bet they've sold virtually all the inventory that they had on hand.

The true test will start to come next summer when if supply lines allow with this virus still very much an ongoing concern, inventory is hopefully replenished and people can actually buy a Series S or Series X any day of the week without special effort involved.

If we're seeing most people bite the bullet and spend extra for the Series X next year (Which is certainly my plan even though there's not a 4k tv in the house), the verdict will be in. But even then, I do believe as I've said that Microsoft's hands are tied here to a degree where software support is concerned.

For better or worse (And I'm personally of the viewpoint held in this thread that it's a mistake to have two drastically different tiers of power), Series S support will be part of developing on Xbox platforms for the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I just wish Microsoft would learn how to give their consoles good, memorable names. "Xbox". Good name. "Xbox 360". Again, good solid name that shows a progression between generations. "Xbox One". Um... shouldn't that technically be referring to the first generation console? No? I'm honestly not entirely sure what to call their consoles since they have such non-distinctive names. "Xbox One X"? "Xbox Series X"? Go screw yourself, Microsoft. How are they still in business with that complete and utter lack of originality?

While I'm not fond of the name, I always figured the Xbox One name was in reference to their desire circa 2013 for their then new console to be the hub of your entertainment center.

The I believe now gone HDMI input (I only saw a HDMI output on the rear of the Series X) is an example of that push back then for the Xbox One to be front and center with everything you do on your television.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-23-2020 at 02:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Dark Souls 3 had a patch that I think is included on the Fire Fades edition that adds a 60fps cap, so on the PS4 since it can't hit 60fps it's essentially an uncapped framerate, but on PS5 it runs at 60fps according to Digital Foundry. So the entire Souls series excluding Bloodborne(30fps cap,) will run 60fps on the PS5. I don't like Sekiro, but unpatched it also has a 60fps cap so it can also run 60fps.

///

As for me, I like how the PS5 looks, I just don't care for how large it is. Well, I own a Space Heater PS3, a Jet Engine PS4, and I'll eventually own a Space Station PS5. *edit* I do prefer simple, but I think it looks good visually.
    Good to know there's been rumors going around that bloodborne will get a remaster.Still i don't what it is but the PS5 design makes me think of a ice cream sandwich.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i feel like M$ pulled a Wii U with the naming of their new consoles, they are too similar to previous gen, its going to confuse the masses who frankly dont pay attention to details which as we all know plays a big part in sales

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    i feel like M$ pulled a Wii U with the naming of their new consoles, they are too similar to previous gen, its going to confuse the masses who frankly dont pay attention to details which as we all know plays a big part in sales
    I really like the naming Sega used; Master System, Genesis, Saturn, Game Gear, Dreamcast, etc. They're all different, and Nintendo followed that trend after the SNES right up until the Wii U.

What does Sony have? There's the Playstation, Playstation, Playstation, Playstation, Playstation, and their portable systems the Playstation, and Vita. Whoever gets paid the big bucks to come up with creative names really deserves it.

At least with the games coming out for the PS5 there won't be any confusion for customers or retail staff. When a customer asks for Devil May Cry 5, you know they want it for the PS5, and are not wanting Devil May Cry 5 for PS4 which also exists. Same with Borderlands 3, No Man's Sky, etc. Definitely no confusion with Demon's Souls and Demon's Souls for PS3.

-"I'd like a copy of Demon's Souls please"
    -"For which console?"
    -"My son has a Playstation"

Clearly no problems whatsoever with parents buying games for their hipster children who own all generations.

And Microsoft; Xbox, Xbox, Xbox, and Xbox. I think that's all of them. I like how the third Xbox is further named the Xbox One, just to mess with people. Really the most recent one should have been named the Xbox Juan.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

With Microsoft having started one generation later than Sony in the console world, there's no way they can use the simple numerical conventions. Their Xbox "2" (360) would've been competing against Sony's Playstation 3 and that just wasn't gonna work when customers want the product with the highest number attached to it. the only thing M$ could do is name the next console "Xbox 6" when the PS6 comes out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Next gen Microsoft should come out with the Xbox 9 and explain because it's the 9th iteration of Xbox. You've got the Xbox, the two versions of the 360, the three versions of the Xbox One, and the two versions of the Xbox Series. Then just start going Xbox 10, 11, 12, etc from there. They've got Sony beat on the numerical side at that point.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Next gen Microsoft should come out with the Xbox 9 and explain because it's the 9th iteration of Xbox. You've got the Xbox, the two versions of the 360, the three versions of the Xbox One, and the two versions of the Xbox Series. Then just start going Xbox 10, 11, 12, etc from there. They've got Sony beat on the numerical side at that point.
    PlayStation Infinity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

PlayStation Infinity
    Xbox Infinity Plus One. Then shortened to Xbox One for simplicity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I know that Atari started using cat names so maybe go with dogs? Like the Xbox Schnauser, the Xbox Golden Retriever, or the Xbox Chiuhauha.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I really like the naming Sega used; Master System, Genesis, Saturn, Game Gear, Dreamcast, etc. They're all different, and Nintendo followed that trend after the SNES right up until the Wii U.

What does Sony have? There's the Playstation, Playstation, Playstation, Playstation, Playstation, and their portable systems the Playstation, and Vita. Whoever gets paid the big bucks to come up with creative names really deserves it.

At least with the games coming out for the PS5 there won't be any confusion for customers or retail staff. When a customer asks for Devil May Cry 5, you know they want it for the PS5, and are not wanting Devil May Cry 5 for PS4 which also exists. Same with Borderlands 3, No Man's Sky, etc. Definitely no confusion with Demon's Souls and Demon's Souls for PS3.

-"I'd like a copy of Demon's Souls please"
    -"For which console?"
    -"My son has a Playstation"

Clearly no problems whatsoever with parents buying games for their hipster children who own all generations.

And Microsoft; Xbox, Xbox, Xbox, and Xbox. I think that's all of them. I like how the third Xbox is further named the Xbox One, just to mess with people. Really the most recent one should have been named the Xbox Juan.
    Playstation is numbered consecutively so its pretty easy to say PS# (#= what ever gen), when i worked retail from PS3 to PS4 transition it wasnt an issue when people came in for games
    Wii to Wii U was a nightmare, and to some extent the Wii Mini. Different type of demographic for that one though but i think it was still the main reason for the Wii U's downfall.... the name
    xbox is just all over the place