Thread: The Variety of Gaming in Your Life

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default The Variety of Gaming in Your Life

How much variety is there to your gaming? 2D, 2.5D and/or full 3D? Stereoscopic 3D and/or virtual reality? Portables, mobile phone, TV console games, and/or game-compilation mini consoles? "Premium" games only or some freeware, shareware, free-to-play, free-to-start, subscription, etc.? Modern or retro? Consoles or computers? Physical releases or downloads? Single-player, multi-player, or MMORPG's? Local or online? Cooperative or competitive? Genres? Do you basically play the same 1, 2, or 3 games? What about the number of hours of play? When do you find time to play? Do you write or code your own games? Please tell us!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Usually if I play something, it's on the GBA. A lot less hassle, not dealing with a seperate TV, console, controller, upscaler (in my case), cables, etc. uses less power. better for the planet. it takes one push of the switch to get it going and Im in the game.

I watch movies a lot more than I do gaming. Ive been wanting to go back and play through a lot of SNES and N63 games but again it just feels like a lot of effort. waiting for my N64 analog stick replacements to come and might do it then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

"How much variety is there to your gaming?" I jump all over the place with little rhyme or reason.

Recently I felt an urgent need to finally complete Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast, which I bought 20 years ago, and my save file dated back likely 10-15 years.

I'm currently battling through both Soul Calibur (accidentally deleted my save) and it's remake, Soul Calibur VI (Mission Mode and individual character's storylines). Also experiencing Chrono Trigger (Steam version) in between those two games, for the first time. A couple weeks back I went on a PS1 racing kick, with R4, Wipeout and Road Rash.

"Do you basically play the same 1, 2, or 3 games?" I also regularly play certain games repeatedly for months and months like Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled to grind out more cosmetic items, Forza Motorsports 4 (it's new to me -- someone gave me a 360 earlier this year) or Pokemon Go (though not as much since the 'rona since I don't go out for walks much now).

"What about the number of hours of play?" This varies so wildly. I've played over 400 hours of Grand Theft Auto V, but in 5 years of ownership I've played Bioshock 30 minutes. This applies to my general habits playing games in hours-per-week as well. Sometimes I totally binge a game or several games, other times I go for weeks or months playing very little, or even nothing.

So some games I just dabble in, and it can be any console/handheld generation from day to day, or even hour to hour. My personal goal is to focus on actually playing through and completing games, but I'm more naturally an 'enthusiast casual' who likes to just mess around and 'experience' a game more than beat it. Honestly, I probably spend many, many more hours per week watching youtube channels ABOUT games than actually gaming.

To really answer the question posed in the topic, basically everything except virtual reality and subscription games. I'm not generally a competitive gamer though, I've rarely played a fighting game vs. another human in the last 20 years, for example. I think kart racers would be the exception to that, but I stopped playing Mario Kart when it began requiring "Nintendo Online", cheap as it is.

"Do you write or code your own games?" It's definitely a dream of mine to create a game. At least in terms of art and sound assets, and gameplay. I'd hire someone else to code the thing. I used to want to write a novel, now I'm imagining this story as an RPG. But, it's just a dream, I've not taken many steps toward actually making this a reality.

"When do you find time to play?" I am often so drained after working, due to physical labor performed and many, many hours of overtime, that I can't focus on actually trying to make progress in a game when easier 'entertainment options' (low hanging fruit) like streaming media allow me to relax and just vegetate. Most of the time I only play games on the weekend, or holidays.
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 12-03-2020 at 10:55 PM.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am all over the map. My game moods sway like my music moods. RPG's are usually the only constant. I love all kinds of games though, so some months its playing platformers, others more shooters. Right now for instance I am playing Dragon Quest 11 on xbox, replaying Clockwork Knight for the millionth time on Saturn, and Slave Zero has been in my dreamcast.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/