Thread: Any interest in *non-lit* screens?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Any interest in *non-lit* screens?

It may seem ass backwards but there is a reason I am drawn toward non-lit screens. The main one is that I have light sensitivity. I get ocular migraines fairly frequently which I believe may be caused or partially caused by staring at bright screens. I frequently have to turn the brightness down on my smartphone. A lot of times I will use my old TI calculator to do math if it means 30 seconds where I am not staring at my phone calculator app with its white background.

The only gaming devices I can think of without a lit screen are the original Game Boy family (minus the AGS-101) as well as the Tiger Electronics ones.

I just wanted to shine the spotlight on a health-related problem that others may have. I think it's a shame that so many Game Boys are being modded to have the screens upgraded (downgraded) to LCD displays. Hell even the worm light and Light Boy are better solutions for me than modding.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Gameboys always had LCD displays, just different types of LCD displays. I don't like modding systems and prefer to have them original but the backlit systems are just way better to look at visually. The original GBA was so dark to look at that many game developers programmed their games much lighter in colour to be viewable on it, some have two different visual modes selectable in case someone wants to play it on the Gameboy Player or a backlit model instead of the original GBA.

I think you're the only person that thinks the R-Zone has a better display than the backlit GBA SP.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I'm the opposite, I need the darn things backlit these days!
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Gameboys always had LCD displays, just different types of LCD displays. I don't like modding systems and prefer to have them original but the backlit systems are just way better to look at visually. The original GBA was so dark to look at that many game developers programmed their games much lighter in colour to be viewable on it, some have two different visual modes selectable in case someone wants to play it on the Gameboy Player or a backlit model instead of the original GBA.

I think you're the only person that thinks the R-Zone has a better display than the backlit GBA SP.
    well I wouldn't say it's better. the non-lot screens are hard to see but it can be a nice reprieve for someone who spends a considerable amount of time staring at a smartphone screen.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

You are also forgetting that Neo Geo Pocket Color did not have a lit screen.

If you want to go back much further the Milton Bradley Microvision wasn't lit either, but I wouldn't recommend that one. The games that look like fun move too fast to score many points.

The Wonderswan systems were Japanese only but I'm pretty sure they weren't lit either.

Also the Watara Supervision wasn't lit.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]