Thread: Gaming goals of 2021?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Gaming goals of 2021?

I am mostly going to be focusing on playing what I own. I spent almost a decade now primarily collecting. For 21 I plan on appreciating what Ive spent money on. I dont need to spend any more money. It's been an expensive year for me.

I want to complete a few games I like but never got around to playing much. All on the N64: 1080, Quest, Ridge Racer, Armorines, Duke Nukem Zero Hour.

The only thing I want to spend money on is a flash cart so I can test my analog sticks proper. I have 3 different style aftermaket sticks connected to OEM controllers so Im gonna find out which one performs the best and stick with it.

Hoping for a better year next year in general. It's been a rough year for us all.

Let us all game on!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Probably some slim down for my famicom collection since i just got a everdrive n8 recently.Also,still have plans to do so for my neo-geo mvs collection as well i want flash cart for that system to.I'm rather sick of buying for retro video games mostly burning out on it.The way the market is now "less is more with flash carts and optical drive emulators" the hell with collectors,shelf queens etc.Maybe next year a PS5 once i trim the fat in my collection.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 12-15-2020 at 01:30 AM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I want to try and finish off a lot or atleast most of my backlog of games from PS4, DS, 3DS, and Vita, and just sell the games that I either didn't like or don't think I should have purchased them, yes, that includes sealed copies of games I'm not going to attempt. I don't like Valkyrie Profile for example, why the hell did I pick up Exist Archive. It's the absolute last game I'd consider playing when going through my list of unplayed games. Or Runner 2, which at one time I stated to Aussie2B I'm picking it up because it's a great game so, however that was based on my experience with Runner through the very short mini game on Retro City Rampage and the game received a lot of praise for an indie title, when when I finally actually played Runner from The.Bit.Trip itself, the viewing angels and the way it tilts to the right when you get close to a jump, it makes it hard to determine how far of a jump you need to or are going to make, on top of the game being more of a ridiculous trial and error the further into the game you get and this was only to the end of the games first world and into the very beginning of the second world. Or the game Yoku's Island Express which just got very boring despite the idea sounding good. It's pinball but you have to find out where you need to hit the ball to get to where and once it opens up it's no fun at all. I recently played a lot of really crappy indie and AAA games in a row, but then played a lot of excellent games in a row right afterwards. Wargroove, Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, Slay the Spire, and Rabi Ribi have all been either good, great, or excellent games that I've been enjoying. I'd state that Wargroove and Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom(aside from my frustration during the Haunted Mansion) are two of the absolute best games released this gen.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

My goal is simple:
    -Enjoy the games I play.
    -Discard, dispose of, or ignore (if it's a stinker I have on Steam) the games I don't enjoy.

I've recently been enjoying gaming with friends more, so the first bullet point might be constrained a little bit by whatever other folks are playing. We'll see how long the pandemic continues.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I can't remember actually playing a single game the entire year for enjoyment, besides testing out various games for a few minutes to test out controllers or other hardware. Maybe I'll try to play through some games in the new year as I have several I still haven't got around to playing. I'll try to start with some PC games as those would be easier for me to access and play, or maybe some portable systems.

I've already been slimming down my various games to mostly focus on keeping games I really like, there's just some I'm undecided about. Really I've been doing this for years as most cheap games I have aren't in high demand and take awhile to sell. I also have actual rare games I bought years ago and am wondering if I should just sell them or try to trade them for rare games I've been looking for. Usually I have no luck with trading games as everyone seems to offer cash or outright cheap garbage games for the good titles I have. I'm just not willing to pay so much for rare games I want so trading would be the most realistic way of getting the titles I want, unless I just find them for cheap at some point at some garage sale.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I have decided to start gradually going through rom and ISO sets, sort out all the USA releases by year and try out all the games and type a short description of each in a document so I can look back and see which ones I thought were really worth getting into someday. That way I can quit ending up in this endless loop where I forget which ones were good and end up having to try them all over again.

As I go and as I have time, I'll try to play through any old games I find that I like, alternating with whatever newer generation stuff I bought because I really wanted to play it. (A lot of Switch games these days)

Then if I ever have time I'll start looking up import exclusives and figure out which of those I like. For the most part, my experience is usually limited to other games that are part of series that had other installments released in the USA but not every game. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest used to have a lot of holes in this way.

The last step will be to resume collecting older games where I left off with the knowledge of which games I like the most and prioritze those. A collection that isn't used strictly for playing when alternate ways are possible should at least represent a person's likes rather than being completely aimless as my old collection used to be, I suppose.

Oh also another goal - keep collecting hardware that plays lots of games. Things like modified consoles, flash cartridges, ODEs, mini systems, freshly repaired consoles. Things that will help keep the hobby lasting a lifetime rather than breaking down over the years.

Another difficult goal is to take an inventory of every item I still have. I had some stuff stolen from me in my old storage garage because people who lived upstairs in the house left it unlocked and open all night many times. One night someone decided to take things. Luckily most of what was stolen were extras meant to be sold, but a few other random things went with those too. Figuring out what I need to rebuy will be a challenge so I need to figure out what I've still got first. We moved out of that house quickly after this happened so a lot of stuff that belongs at home is in a real paid for storage unit. I'll need to break up my inventory into two sections. Items at home and items in storage. I don't think I want to start going into my storage unit all day to organize it on my day off anymore until the weather gets a little warmer.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 12-17-2020 at 01:25 AM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Video game wise: go through my Steam account and try games I haven't tried before. Thankfully it's not that big and I got most from bundles. Also I want to play Atari "today", someday more often. I have a Harmony cart but haven't touched it since I got it. I also want to get a flash cart for my NES with decent save state capability.

General gaming wise, more tabletop gaming! My kids have wanted to play but time is not on my side. We started with Castles and Crusades but that system ticked me off as did the company for putting out sone hslf-baked stuff. I found this AD&D "3rd edition" by a guy named Chris Perkins (not the WOTC Chris Perkins) who took the good stuff from D&D 3E and previous editions and made it into a pretty decent system.

I also want to write a TTRPG, using what I started almost 19 years ago. However what I started back then was when I had a lot of gaming experience under my belt with different systems. Now I'm quite disconnected and have no idea what younger me was going for. So I've been working on that, changing my mind constantly with modern ideas. In short term I might take the new Talisman Adventures RPG (based on the boardgame) and turn it into a Star Wars game, to get my mind working on game mechanics using sn existing set.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

2021 will be the year my RPG backlog dies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

My goal is to play through my back catalog of old games and get rid of them as well as their respective systems. Already cleaned up my SNES collection and sold it all off getting ridiculous sums of money for them. Soon will start on N64 games and eventually part with it also.

PS2 collection has taken a few hits. Sold a lot of games this past month.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

My only real gaming goal is to train my brain to use the PS VR without getting nauseated in the first minute. I even bought motion sickness pills, but I haven't played anything VR in a while. I really looked forward to playing VR games, it's a shame my body is fighting against it.