Thread: The NEW AtariVCS AtariOS already cracked?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default The NEW AtariVCS AtariOS already cracked?

It would seem now even another sign the AtariVCS was rushed out the door so quickly to meet the open arms of backers ๐Ÿ˜‚that yet another shortcut was taken in that the AtariOS was not even encrypted! Hmmm I a not sure WHERE this bit of info belongs amongst all things AtariVCS but I do find it interesting, I do not know much about more technical things so FYI if anyone feels the need you wont be correct ME as I am just relaying this video and info as I found it just now. At the very least seems interesting. Does this mean one does not even particularly need the specific console to enjoy all the great and magical things Atari OS offers ๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜€? Might anyone enjoy it using these methods on ANY low end Linux box or perhaps single board computer? Does this make the actual AtariVCS console even more irrelevant? Or was this whole thing faked by some horrible TROLL HATER? ๐Ÿ˜› THE MIND BOGGLES !!!!

My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if this was legitimate. Some companies are just stupid when it comes to piracy. After two or three days of launch, the Nokia N-Gage games were cracked - they put their games on an ordinary memory card with a little encryption, a memory card anybody could pop into their computer and figure out how to crack. That definitely affected their bottom line, even in Nokia's official web forums where people were forbidden from asking for ROMs it still happened constantly, usually from some young idiot who doesn't spell or punctuate worth crap and doesn't understand the damage he's doing to the future of games on the platform.

With these license holders for the Atari name, they're expecting everybody to pay a fortune for what I'm sure is a Linux-based OS on top of okay-ish hardware, and now that they've screwed the pooch so badly everybody can bypass the expensive hardware and run the OS on any crappy machine. They've stumbled so badly, I'll be shocked if this thing is still around a year after launch. One of their biggest financial streams, the hardware, is now irrelevant. Once people figure out how to install the OS and drop in their own ROMs the VCS will be dead in the water.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve W For This Useful Post:

OldSchoolGamer (12-24-2020)

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    With these license holders for the Atari name, they're expecting everybody to pay a fortune for what I'm sure is a Linux-based OS on top of okay-ish hardware, and now that they've screwed the pooch so badly everybody can bypass the expensive hardware and run the OS on any crappy machine. They've stumbled so badly, I'll be shocked if this thing is still around a year after launch. One of their biggest financial streams, the hardware, is now irrelevant. Once people figure out how to install the OS and drop in their own ROMs the VCS will be dead in the water.
    You're saying that the company Atari might end up in financial trouble due to poor business decisions? I've never heard such a thing before. I'm shocked by that idea. Shocked I say!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gameguy For This Useful Post:

OldSchoolGamer (12-24-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

But are they the current holders of the Atari name or are they just licensing it for this project? I thought these people just licensed the name and slapped it on a ton of Kickstarter projects, with the VCS being the only one to actually get made.

Apparently there's not much you can do wtih this thing yet. There's one game, a remake of Missile Command, there's the Atari Vault #1 which are the same 100 games that appear on every compilation on every platform, and if you go to the online game store and try to buy Atari Vault #2 it'll take your money and not give you anything. Sure, these are Kickstarter backer units sent out before the main system launch, but you'd kind of expect a little more substance to it for the money they expect you to pay.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve W For This Useful Post:

OldSchoolGamer (12-26-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?