Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to the Sega Saturn and have a few questions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I honestly feel like if you didn't get into collecting prior to 2002/2003, you missed the boat period. after that, rare and good games went up in value and 10 years later, they skyrocketed. I wasnt working until 2006 and I didnt really have disposable income until 2010 so I was way late to the party either way
    I was just fortune enough to be a early adopter after the genesis run ended and i got a saturn asap.Since i was expecting sega to carry on like they did before which of course didn't happen.Even towards those late releases i was able to get panzer dragoon saga&magic knight rayearth from babbages,before the boom happen for selling retro video games on ebay.For me it was deja vu just like with the turbografx 16 and saturn both consoles had better support in japan then the u.s.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 01-30-2021 at 03:23 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    I was just fortune enough to be a early adopter after the genesis run ended and i got a saturn asap.Since i was expecting sega to carry on like they did before which of course didn't happen.Even towards those late releases i was able to get panzer dragoon saga&magic knight rayearth from babbages,before the boom happen for selling retro video games on ebay.For me it was deja vu just like with the turbografx 16 and saturn both consoles had better support in japan then the u.s.
    my friend told me that there was an eBay commercial in 2003 that was very well known at the time and he said that it was at that point that game prices and collecting in general really took off. like at that point people realized "woah there's people out there with money who are willing to pay for this old stuff!" I remember in the 90s going to FuncoLand and the old games were considered garbage, just absolutely worthless, unless it was something like Mega Man, Dragon Warrior, any of the good RPGs. There was never anything about "rarity" because it wasnt widely known at the time that some of those games were very limited in production

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Collecting was still reasonable until around 2008-2010. It was already rising in price by then but it was still possible to find well priced games. It was much easier prior to 2005 as it was all worth much less at that time, but even after that you could find bargains regularly. The best finds I can remember finding were from around 2008 personally.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

really loving the 2D animation in Street Fighter Alpha. There are many other 2D games on the Saturn that I want to get as well. I feel like 2D gaming peaked during this time period, at least in terms of art style. Of course everyone loves the 16 bit titles, as do I, but they really perfected the look during the 5th gen. Too bad 2D games were looked down upon at the time otherwise there would've been a lot more out there. would rather look at that than Bubsy or Earthworm Jim in 3D. blecch!!

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Prices did not go nutso until the YouTube review craze, which was the last 6-8 years. You can still collect fairly well for Saturn if you get Japanese imports. The NA games are tough aside from a dozen or two common ones. They just didn't sell, and many got pulled from shelves when SEGA bailed on it.
    Do you have any examples of ones that were pulled from shelves? I'm guessing it's ones like Panzer Saga and Magic knight rayearth, but there are a few others like MK Trilogy that same to be oddly rare.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    Do you have any examples of ones that were pulled from shelves? I'm guessing it's ones like Panzer Saga and Magic knight rayearth, but there are a few others like MK Trilogy that same to be oddly rare.
    The company SEGA bailed on it less than two years in, and beyond that, with so much competition, Saturn only got so much shelf space. Beyond Toys R Us, which had the most space, most stores still carried and sold 16-bit over 32-bit through 1997. Playstation was dominating, and then the N64 came through, not to mention Gameboy's ongoing presence.

Here's what they were advertising I think by Christmas 95, mostly sports/fighting, and Saturn did not get extra shelving for obscure stuff. There's a reason Die Hard Arcade or Super Puzzle Fighter go for near $100, nobody had them. I also just go by what's in a person's teen/childhood Saturn collection when they sell it online as a lot. It's very repetitive, people had the same games, very little variety.

The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I remember getting my copy of guardian heroes from Sears when I was a kid. My father would also bring us to funcoland a lot, and I remember seeing much more of the obscure stuff there. I bring up Mortal Kombat Trilogy again because that is a game that I do not remember even getting released. I remember hearing about it, but it seemed like my only choices were PS1 and N64 back then. I also rented games, like Die Hard Arcade, from blockbuster. I did move on to the N64 when that was released, and likely didn't pay attention to much of what came out on Saturn after that.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Here's what they were advertising I think by Christmas 95...
    Are you sure that's not 1996? There's an expiry date on that ad for December 31st 1996, I don't think that promotion would have been kept going for over a year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Are you sure that's not 1996? There's an expiry date on that ad for December 31st 1996, I don't think that promotion would have been kept going for over a year.
    Looks like a simple typo. It's gotta be 96 of they are selling NFL 97 on there.