Thread: Looking for "Fat" PS3 model CECHA01 OR CECHB01 with firmware 2.00 (or lower)

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Default Looking for "Fat" PS3 model CECHA01 OR CECHB01 with firmware 2.00 (or lower)

Looking to pick up a Playstation 3 to primarily use as a Blu-Ray player and SACD player. Looking for the specific model that has both SACD playback and the proper firmware to output SACD as a DTS signal over the digital optical audio out cable. For more information see here: https://www.avforums.com/threads/ps3...al-out.503839/. According to the PS3 SACD website, this is only found on firmware version 2.00. And on top of that, looking for the model that plays back PS2 games in hardware emulation.

Thanks.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I'm not sure if there are tools to apply SACD features on any model, BUT the PS3 jailbreaking scene has really advanced lately. It's to the point where you can I believe softmod almost any fat or slim system except the 3rd iteration.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Thanks Greg2600. Would you happen to have any links to the current mod scene? There is only the ability to play SACD within the first 4 models of PS3, the CECHA01, CECHB01, CECHE01, and CECHC01. I've read that rolling back firmware on a PS3 could also break Blu-Ray playback.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

This is I believe the main project team called Team PS3xploit.

Here's a Wiki as well. https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/i...hp/PS3_Modding

Here's a nice Reddit FAQ about jailbreaking the PS3, which includes a link to a SACD ripper. I would assume if modding allows you to rip SACD's, that you can restore the feature on the console to play them as well. There wasn't any special hardware involved, just that Sony took things away as they went along simply to avoid supporting largely unpopular features.

In your case, there is almost no chance of finding a console on firmware 2.X! Heck, the forum post you reference is 14 years old itself. Anyone with a PS3 would have had to update firmware multiple times if they wanted newer games and their BD to function. Ones online, definitely updated, the offline ones probably received updates from games themselves. The hardmod, which for years was the only way to mod these things, involves backing firmware back to 3.55, but that was only doable on early consoles. That's why the softmod PS3xploit work began to gain ground, because it works on so many models. I have not done it yet myself, simply out of finding the time to do so. My advise is to find a YouTube video which has a step by step in how to soft mod the console.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK