Thread: Hyperkin releases another sh*t product: Retron Sq

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Hyperkin releases another sh*t product: Retron Sq

The company that has no business producing things that cartridges get inserted into has puked out another abomination, this time a Retron 5 that doesn't play NES, SNES, or Genesis games (or their foreign counterparts.)

So yes it plays Game Boy/GBC carts. And apparently it is not powerful enough to play GBA games properly. I watched a Youtuber review of the "console" and it was pretty cringey watching someone who was given a free product to review barely be able to say something slightly negative about this pile of garbage. Incorrect aspect ratio, blurry graphics, yeah no thanks.

I dont see what the appeal in this would be when there are so many options on the market to play Game Boy games on a TV

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    I dont see what the appeal in this would be when there are so many options on the market to play Game Boy games on a TV
    I assume it has HDMI output. All Nintendo consoles that can play Gameboy games don't have HDMI output. I think that's the only reason. People only care about HDMI output now, not about actual quality.

Now I'm just thinking of an add on I used to see at Radio Shack that attached to an original GBA console and had composite output. I really should have bought one. I do have a Gamecube with the Gameboy Player but it's still harder to play games with the Gamecube controller.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I assume it has HDMI output. All Nintendo consoles that can play Gameboy games don't have HDMI output. I think that's the only reason. People only care about HDMI output now, not about actual quality.

Now I'm just thinking of an add on I used to see at Radio Shack that attached to an original GBA console and had composite output. I really should have bought one. I do have a Gamecube with the Gameboy Player but it's still harder to play games with the Gamecube controller.
    The graphics on this thing are comparable to playing on a Super Game Boy hooked up to composite with the sharpness setting on your TV set fairly low

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    The graphics on this thing are comparable to playing on a Super Game Boy hooked up to composite with the sharpness setting on your TV set fairly low
    I know that it looks like trash, but what connection does it use? People don't actually care about quality, they care about marketing. HDMI is a marketing feature now.

It's like saying HD is automatically better than standard definition, it doesn't matter if the colours are washed out as long as it's in higher resolution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have no idea why a company would send out a review unit if it's not any where near ready or capable for one third of what it is marketed as being able to do.

Price point also seems a bit high for this device, even if it did function decently.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I believe it's an HDMI connection

Hyperkin exists as the poor man's alternative to Analogue and the dumb man's alternative to MISTer/Raspberry Pi. There's a market for that type of product. more power to them I guess