Thread: Puzzle Bobble aka Bust-a-Move

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default Puzzle Bobble aka Bust-a-Move

Shoot the bubbles... pop the bubbles... bounce the bubbles....

So, this went on sale on the Nintendo eShop (this being the Arcade Archives version of the original Neo-Geo game). Admittedly, Puzzle Bobble is something I never played much before, and I think I knew more about clones like Snood and that one facebook game than I did about the real game.

.... And I see why its cloned so much. Even having played all thirty or so levels, I still keep firing it up and taking shots.

But having now played it, there's two things I dislike and hope were improved later:

One, I wish there was an option to keep the aiming laser. You have one in the first level, and for one level each time you game over and use a continue, but it goes away next level. While I did adjust to not having it, I don't like a large part of the game being guesswork and hoping the physics work the way you think they do.

Two, I swear the game often gives me bubble colors I don't need, where the only possible match is buried layers deep in a place I can't shoot to yet. Worse, you have to shoot the bubble--there's no way to discard useless bubbles--and these wasted shots can end up blocking other shots or having a knock-on effect where you get so many useless shots you end up game overing.

Basically, if there's a Puzzle Bobble game (whether home port or even some fanmade clone) that fixes either or both of these problems, it would probably be right up there with Puyo Puyo in the Puzzle Game Pantheon.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I'll have to check it out after I chip away at my backlog. I'm trying not to get in the habit of buying more games than I am finishing

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

I have the WiiWare game Bust-A-Move Plus on my Wii, it is very good. But used to play a ton of Bust-A-Move in the arcades, its always been a classic, one of those underrated puzzle games that never got its due I always felt. Think it is certainly better and a little more unique than Puyo Puyo, Columns, Klax, Super Puzzle Fighter, or the other dozen games that came out in the 90s trying to capture the essence and widespread appeal of Tetris. Weird that Snood is more remembered than Bust-A-Move these days though. Just another Neo Geo game that was high-quality but few remember by itself, alongside Neo Turf Masters, Garou Mark of the Wolves, Aero Fighters, and SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I should try playing it more, I've only played it a few times and just thought it was ok. Maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Been after the MVS version for some time. My current copy is a clone/bootleg, unfortunately.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

So anyone who owns one of the ports/remakes/clones/sequels... do any of them have the option of having the aiming laser be always on? In the OP this was one of my criticisms of the original game--that you don't keep it for more than one level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    So anyone who owns one of the ports/remakes/clones/sequels... do any of them have the option of having the aiming laser be always on? In the OP this was one of my criticisms of the original game--that you don't keep it for more than one level.
    The original MVS version does not.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    The original MVS version does not.
    That's why I specifically asked about sequels and ports. I already mentioned having played the original.

I've heard there are console-specific entries such as for the Gamecube and such, so those are what I'm curious about now.

I understand the original arcade games not giving you a helpful laser for every single level, but if that's still the policy for the later console-exclusive entries then its kinda silly.. especially since the graphics get more visually busy. Even playing PB2 in MAME I had a hard time even seeing the bubbles, much less where my crossbow was pointing.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 03-18-2021 at 01:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Bust-A-Move Again (BaM2) I own this and the original on legit MVS carts for my cabinet, and no the laser is only there for your first level off an inserted credit. So level one, and any time you pop another quarter in after losing. And the random colors, they're still random, it's how it's just designed to add to the challenge and not that hard to work around. Just attach the bad color to one you do want to clear, then shoot around/aside it to clear it with the one you're after to remove it and get added points.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Just attach the bad color to one you do want to clear, then shoot around/aside it to clear it with the one you're after to remove it and get added points.
    I tried that. Sometimes it works. Other times it gives me like ten bad colors in a row, or five, but then one I could've used three shots ago but now its blocked by the other shots I was forced to take.

I should record video of some of my worst outings.