Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Game title interpretations

I'm going through a list for SNES games and some of the titles were wrong. For example, I had a cell that contained "Adventure of Kid Kleets, The" when it's supposed to be *Adventures*. Other one are tricky. Is it "Bonkers"? Or "Disney's Bonkers"? I feel if Aladdin is "Disney's Aladdin" then the same title scheme should apply to Bonkers. Another goof one is Batman Forever. The game is obviously called Batman Forever, but the title screen just says "Forever." Other ones are tricky. Is it "Blackthorne?" Or BlackThorne?

The goal here is to make comprehensive lists that can be shared across any platform or medium but there is obviously going to be some controversy on spelling and what-not. I had on my original list that I downloaded "Blastris/Laser Blaster" didnt know wtf that was and it turned out it was Super Scope 6.

Any input or help with this would be greatly appreciated. I am using Youtube longplay videos as my source since these days no one is really looking at boxes or cartridges anyways.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

The movie Batman Forever did the same thing, I think the idea was the bat-symbol was the stand-in for just saying "Batman."

Not sure if it fits in this topic but one issue I ran across when I alphabatized my NES carts was the game Spy vs Spy. The top of the label says "Mad" (the magazine the feature ran in) rather than the game's proper title, so do I file it under M for Mad or S for Spy vs Spy? (For the sake of not driving myself insane I chose the former).

Might and Magic, or really any game with "and" in the title, has the issue of some people insisting the "and" is supposed to be an ampersand. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

Also for that matter, do you group games based on the Dungeons & Dragons license together, or do you ignore that part unless its actually part of the title? Like nobody calls it "AD&D: Baldur's Gate" they always just call it Baldur's Gate.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I try to follow the actual title screen as closely as possible and obviously some cases are up for debate. When I made the Xbox list here I went by box title and that was a mistake. got to be too confusing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I mean, do whatever makes the most sense for you. For me I just think my OCD would go nuts if it saw an end label that started with M but was placed in the S section because of text I can't even read unless I start playing the game..... but that's just my own personal brand of insanity.

My nephew tried to arrange my Dreamcast games in order of which ones he most expected to be good to least expected to be good.... that didn't work out well. It was fortunate I didn't have many Dreamcast games.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    My nephew tried to arrange my Dreamcast games in order of which ones he most expected to be good to least expected to be good.... that didn't work out well. It was fortunate I didn't have many Dreamcast games.
    Well I can see how that would be basically impossible, it would be much easier to arrange them from bad to unplayable considering it's the Dreamcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Does anyone organize their games by genre? Either by each console separately by genre, or mixing all systems together by genre?
    I think I tried that once but it resulted in a lot of "wait, does Zelda count as an RPG?" type of mental debates, so I decided screw it.

I once tried to mix my libraries and keep, for example, all my Mega Man games together... it was a mess though, because of different cartridge sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    So what about NES games published by Jaleco? Do you put those in the J section since the end labels just say Jaleco?
    I usually put Jaleco games in a "for sale" bin

Actually, if I owned any, and if the end label situation got too confusing, I might stick a post-it note to the end label and organize them by title.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Well I can see how that would be basically impossible, it would be much easier to arrange them from bad to unplayable considering it's the Dreamcast.
    You did NOT just insult Marvel vs. Capcom...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I mean, do whatever makes the most sense for you. For me I just think my OCD would go nuts if it saw an end label that started with M but was placed in the S section because of text I can't even read unless I start playing the game..... but that's just my own personal brand of insanity.

So what about NES games published by Jaleco? Do you put those in the J section since the end labels just say Jaleco?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Does anyone organize their games by genre? Either by each console separately by genre, or mixing all systems together by genre?