Thread: Anyone else seen (or even pre-ordered) a "Funkey" (tiny handheld multi-emulator)? Also, help required with adding Tetris

Insert Coin (Level 0) Late_2_The_Party's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Anyone else seen (or even pre-ordered) a "Funkey" (tiny handheld multi-emulator)? Also, help required with adding Tetris

Hi.

So, earlier today I stumbled across a YT video showing something that made me want to own it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuXmCcR2arY).

For those who can't be bothered to watch the video, it's basically a tiny (1.5 inch screen!) multi-platform console/emulator.

I placed a pre-order, and then a bit later wrote to the customer support to make sure that the thing would come with NES Tetris, as that's a game I dearly love.

Even though the YT video showed it as coming with loads of commercial games pre-installed, the customer support person who replied to my email told me that for legal reasons it only comes with homebrew stuff. My heart sank a bit, since the video gave the strong impression that it came with arse-loads of classic games. Still, apparently you can drag and drop games onto it, so I will do my best to somehow get NES Tetris on it when it arrives. I actually own two original NES consoles, PAL and NTSC, and I have Tetris for each of them (with an old CRT TV). So, legally, I guess I am OK about having a "backup" of my game on an emulator. I have no idea how to actually go about putting Tetris on this tiny thing though.

If someone would be kind enough to give me a hint, that would be awesome. I am happy to have a voice chat with anyone to satisfy them that I'm not some arsehat from Nintendo trying to trip people up or something crap like that. In any case, I hope that nobody is actually all that bothered about ancient NES roms finding their way onto keyring-sized gaming devices in 2021 when people are being mugged and murdered left right and centre. :P

So, on that happy note, I will end my 2nd post in this awesome forum.

EDIT: OK, I've managed to get my hands on a NES Tetris rom file. Let's hope this thing accepts it OK when it arrives...
    Last edited by Late_2_The_Party; 03-22-2021 at 06:07 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Late_2_The_Party For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (03-23-2021)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

there's a ton of those "retro clone consoles" out there, market is flooded with them. never heard of this one before. best of luck

Insert Coin (Level 0) Late_2_The_Party's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hi. Yeah, I am aware that a flood of retro clone consoles has happened. This one is (by quite a margin) the tiniest one yet though. Just seems fun to be able to take something that plays NES, SNES and GameBoy games literally everywhere without noticing any bulk. I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Could I interest you in the NES homebrew tetromino game called LJ65?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nz17 For This Useful Post:

Late_2_The_Party (03-28-2021)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

You should check out the Game Gear Micro if you're into the smaller handhelds. I think you can hack it to play ROMs too

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

speaking of little hand helds, i bought one of these a little over a month ago and got it in the mail yesterday:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Handheld-Re...t/174661181465

its cheap but i couldnt imagine getting something like this 5 years ago for $12 shipped, it plays the usual list of chinese 500 in 1 games but heck it was cheap enough

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Niku-Sama For This Useful Post:

Late_2_The_Party (04-03-2021)