Thread: Jeopardy!: Sports Edition (SNES) - Least interesting title ever made?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Jeopardy!: Sports Edition (SNES) - Least interesting title ever made?

I vote this as being the most unappealing video game in existence on the basis of the following:

1) There has been a Jeopardy game on damn near every system since the NES, so the 16-bit version doesn't seem special.

2) There are 3 iterations of Jeopardy on the console

3) Sports games in general are the least popular genre so trivia about sports has to be pretty low on the popularity scale

4) There can't be a ton of cross-section between diehards obsessed with Jeopardy as well as sports fans. the two fans exist for sure. but not many are huge fans of both

5) Came out at a time when renting was still really popular so it's not like a ton of people would have had a physical copy lying around at home that they would be nostalgiac for.

Well Trebek dying (rest in peace) probably increased the interest somewhat but overall can you think of a single game you'd want to play less than this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Sports genre least popular? Since when? I don't know how big sports games were in your neck of the woods back then, but I sold a solid amount of sports during my Wal-Mart days. Tecmo Sports also attracted armchair athletes by the droves. A local game store at the mall had waiting lists for Tecmo Super Bowl 2. Based on that and the sheer number of sports titles that were released, it's safe to say it was a pretty popular genre.

Now Jeopardy, sports edition or not, I have no idea how popular that was. Like you said, it was probably somethingthat got rented, presumably by dads who know their sports and wanted something new instead of poker night.

As for a game I want to play less than this? Easy-Cheetahmen, any of the Panesean games or any game on Action 52.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sports games are popular as long as they are the current year. How much is last year's madden worth? And Bubble Bath Babes is a pretty fun game. It even got a G rated release by AVE.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

if you go to any gaming forum or gaming convention or any gaming store and ask whats your least favorite genre? there is going to be one answer and its not RPGs

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    if you go to any gaming forum or gaming convention or any gaming store and ask whats your least favorite genre? there is going to be one answer and its not RPGs
    You mean "Walking Simulator".

For a boring title I would go with "Waiting in Line 3D". It's a real game.

http://www.rajeevbasu.com/projects/wil3d/

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

thats awesome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Because that makes up the entire video gaming playing population and makes it the de facto truth that sports is the least favorite genre? Riiiiiggghhhht.

"Gamers" love to lament sports games and sometimes the people that play them. "Oh gee, look, another Madden-same game but new stats!". But the kicker is, they SELL. Companies make them, players pose for them and people buy them. Then the next year comes and it starts all over.

The biggest gripe of sports I know of are when collectors get excited to see games at a thriftvthen discover it's all sports.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Because that makes up the entire video gaming playing population and makes it the de facto truth that sports is the least favorite genre? Riiiiiggghhhht.

"Gamers" love to lament sports games and sometimes the people that play them. "Oh gee, look, another Madden-same game but new stats!". But the kicker is, they SELL. Companies make them, players pose for them and people buy them. Then the next year comes and it starts all over.

The biggest gripe of sports I know of are when collectors get excited to see games at a thriftvthen discover it's all sports.
    Most of the so called gamers who buy the yearly sports games couldnt care less about 99% of the sports games in existence. Not unless the game is concurrent with whatever year it is at the time of purchase. and Id venture to say those "gamers" don't care about 99% of video games in existence, period.

a genre whose games sell really well immediately upon release but plummet after a year passes really says a lot about how beloved those games are. again every gamer I know absolutely loathes them. In fact I am probably the biggest sports game fan among them and I rarely play them.

so yeah, popular among the general population, sure, but unpopular among people who call themselves gamers

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I vote this as being the most unappealing video game in existence on the basis of the following:

1) There has been a Jeopardy game on damn near every system since the NES, so the 16-bit version doesn't seem special.

2) There are 3 iterations of Jeopardy on the console

3) Sports games in general are the least popular genre so trivia about sports has to be pretty low on the popularity scale

4) There can't be a ton of cross-section between diehards obsessed with Jeopardy as well as sports fans. the two fans exist for sure. but not many are huge fans of both

5) Came out at a time when renting was still really popular so it's not like a ton of people would have had a physical copy lying around at home that they would be nostalgiac for.

Well Trebek dying (rest in peace) probably increased the interest somewhat but overall can you think of a single game you'd want to play less than this?

1. It's not. If you want something like that, you buy it for whichever system you have if you only have one.

2. If you're really into sports, it's likely the edition you'll want.

3. Already said but during their time they were incredibly popular and even so in current generation.

4. It didn't sell well but a hell of a lot better than some great titles but of course that was for a variety of reasons.

5. True dat.

6. If you have the capacity to take the sports element out of it those are some of the best action strategy games ever made. Have you ever taken the time to learn even a few of the plays in a game like Madden? How would you think of the genre if you took all the numbered players out and replaced them with characters? Beat Madden '93 on Genesis and then tell me sports games are garbage.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nebrazca88 View Post
    1. It's not. If you want something like that, you buy it for whichever system you have if you only have one.

2. If you're really into sports, it's likely the edition you'll want.

3. Already said but during their time they were incredibly popular and even so in current generation.

4. It didn't sell well but a hell of a lot better than some great titles but of course that was for a variety of reasons.

5. True dat.

6. If you have the capacity to take the sports element out of it those are some of the best action strategy games ever made. Have you ever taken the time to learn even a few of the plays in a game like Madden? How would you think of the genre if you took all the numbered players out and replaced them with characters? Beat Madden '93 on Genesis and then tell me sports games are garbage.
    why are you conflating acknowledgment of a genre's lack of popularity with my personal assessment of said genre?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean by conflating in this instance but your assessment includes not only your personal opinion but statements about the genre that were not true at the time.

(Addendum)

I personally like the Jeopardy! games and my only problem with the sports edition is that it's incredibly difficult. I have a laundry list of problems with the Jeopardy! games in general like the computer misspelling answers, the computer ringing in incessantly and giving XXX as an answer, questions so long they can't even be displayed on the normal screen etc. Even so, they and the sports edition are still fairly appealing to me.

If we're voting for unappealing games, I'd say lame kids games like Barney are much more unappealing.
    Last edited by nebrazca88; 04-28-2021 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Addendum

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nebrazca88 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by conflating in this instance but your assessment includes not only your personal opinion but statements about the genre that were not true at the time.

(Addendum)

I personally like the Jeopardy! games and my only problem with the sports edition is that it's incredibly difficult. I have a laundry list of problems with the Jeopardy! games in general like the computer misspelling answers, the computer ringing in incessantly and giving XXX as an answer, questions so long they can't even be displayed on the normal screen etc. Even so, they and the sports edition are still fairly appealing to me.

If we're voting for unappealing games, I'd say lame kids games like Barney are much more unappealing.
    well that's your problem right there. maybe you missed this part of my post:

3) Sports games in general are the least popular genre
    I guess maybe my definition of "are" differs from yours. take a poll of people who "are" playing retro games. "sports" will be very low on that list of genres when asked what their favorite genre is. I'm not sure how many different ways I can explain that.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Fair enough but I would like to point out that unlike annual releases people just don't stop liking sports. So sports trivia may be eternal for some.

And I would appreciate if you addressed whether or not vapid kids games are more unappealing than Jeopardy!: Sports Edition.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I guess maybe my definition of "are" differs from yours. take a poll of people who "are" playing retro games. "sports" will be very low on that list of genres when asked what their favorite genre is. I'm not sure how many different ways I can explain that.
    Your definition of "are" must be different as numerous people have told you that you're "wrong".

Your statement wasn't limited to retro games, you said that people won't like retro sports games because the genre as a whole(which includes modern games) is the least popular, which isn't true as sports games continue to be popular and sell well. Even if sports games aren't that popular overall, you said the genre is the least popular genre, which isn't true as several other genres are less popular than sports.

Also, why poll people about their most favourite genre? You should be asking about their most hated genre as you're trying to figure out what the least popular genre is. Even that's still wrong as the truly least popular genres won't come up as most people won't even think about them, there's so many genres that are barely known by most people unlike sports games. Less popular genres aren't necessarily the most hated of all genres, just least thought about. Least popular can also vary by region, dating sims aren't popular in North America but they're popular in Japan.

Maybe you're confusing "least popular" with "most disliked among retro gamers specifically"? Even then I'm not sure that's correct with sports games. Crappy edutainment games keep coming up when I think of what games I most disliked as a genre. Though I'm not the target market for them either as I'm not a toddler so that might be unfair as well.