Thread: The 1998-1999 Sega "gap" in console availability

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Default The 1998-1999 Sega "gap" in console availability

Between March 1998 and September 1999, Sega did not make new consoles for the Western market. This doesn't apply to Japan, as the Saturn lasted throughout that period (and the Dreamcast was available for much of it). I feel that having that gap was horrible for Sega, even as bad as the Saturn did in the West. I have an idea as to how that gap could have been plugged, mostly with the Dreamcast. It wouldn't have won Sega the console war and they may very well have exited the console race in 2001, or sometime between then and the present, but it probably would have helped to some extent.

In hindsight, it seems that Sega should have had the Dreamcast available in the West for the holiday 1998 season, focusing on getting games ready for the Western market for that period instead of the Japanese market. Ideally, the system could have been released in both Western and Japanese regions in November 1998, but it may have been necessary to delay the Japanese release into 1999 - preferably, still before the PS2's March 1st announcement. This would have, obviously, ran counter to what the Japanese side of Sega wanted but would have been a visionary move, seeing the much larger Western market as a higher priority than the Japanese market.

Sega would not have missed a crucial holiday season, having something truly next-gen on sale against the PS1 and N64. It probably wouldn't have gotten a majority of the market share that season or been a PS2-beater but it would have at least given Sega time to compete while the PS2 was still unannounced.

On another note, getting the Saturn out in the West in '94 (and eschewing the 32X entirely) probably would have helped matters as well.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

What games would have even been on Saturn that early? The launch lineup was mediocre, and the early release lineup was even worse. The system was a total disaster. It was too difficult to develop for, and their late addition of a second CPU that was rarely used and a waste of money.

SEGA screwed themselves twice. First they bailed on the Genesis when the SNES was still going strong with inexpensive gaming. Then as you write, they caved on the Saturn and had nothing to sell for 18 months, even dumber. Granted Majesco were still producing Genesis-3's at the time I think. Unfortunately Sega of Japan never cared about any of this. They had a myopic tunnel vision that rarely extended outside of Japan.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Ive thought about this a lot. The damn Genesis was getting more attention from Sega in 1998 than its sucessor consoles. Poorly run company on the part of Sega of America.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Ive thought about this a lot. The damn Genesis was getting more attention from Sega in 1998 than its sucessor consoles. Poorly run company on the part of Sega of America.
    From what I recall hearing, most of the problems with Sega came from Sega of Japan. Sega of America were the ones that got Sega a ~50% marketshare in the US with the Genesis while later Sega of Japan was insisting that the Saturn didn't need a Sonic game.
    Last edited by Tupin; 04-30-2021 at 08:39 PM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Ive thought about this a lot. The damn Genesis was getting more attention from Sega in 1998 than its successor consoles. Poorly run company on the part of Sega of America.
    No, by 1998 Sega of America was long done with the Genesis. Heck they were done with it by Christmas 1995 for sure, and most of what came out in '96-97 were just 3rd party rehashes. They'd rightly shifted to the Saturn. There was just so many issues they had. Developers could not create games quickly. Sega of America's budget didn't provide for enough translations/imports of Japanese titles, including the strong RPG and Shooter categories. Even what was once Sega's bread and butter, arcade ports suffered. What did get released was often buggy, and just not impressive.

1998 was far too late, SEGA was done by then, whether they knew it or not. They likely knew. The Playstation stole their market share, reducing SEGA to not much more market than the TG-16 occupied years earlier. IMO their failure was in offering a primitive interactive FMV solution (CD) and a more powerful polygon-based solution (32x) separately, while asking consumers to spend $500+ to experience both. I felt that Tom Kalinske, being a toy guy, improperly missed the boat on the Genesis add-ons. They were good concepts, probably the only want the CD and 32X get released, but they never made practical sense. Each required far more investment than they got. Nintendo meanwhile completely ignored FMV trash, spent a little bit on special chips, and were able to have their SNES last several years longer than the Genesis.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    No, by 1998 Sega of America was long done with the Genesis. Heck they were done with it by Christmas 1995 for sure, and most of what came out in '96-97 were just 3rd party rehashes. They'd rightly shifted to the Saturn. There was just so many issues they had. Developers could not create games quickly. Sega of America's budget didn't provide for enough translations/imports of Japanese titles, including the strong RPG and Shooter categories. Even what was once Sega's bread and butter, arcade ports suffered. What did get released was often buggy, and just not impressive.

1998 was far too late, SEGA was done by then, whether they knew it or not. They likely knew. The Playstation stole their market share, reducing SEGA to not much more market than the TG-16 occupied years earlier. IMO their failure was in offering a primitive interactive FMV solution (CD) and a more powerful polygon-based solution (32x) separately, while asking consumers to spend $500+ to experience both. I felt that Tom Kalinske, being a toy guy, improperly missed the boat on the Genesis add-ons. They were good concepts, probably the only want the CD and 32X get released, but they never made practical sense. Each required far more investment than they got. Nintendo meanwhile completely ignored FMV trash, spent a little bit on special chips, and were able to have their SNES last several years longer than the Genesis.
    Yes. I have in my posession a Genesis made in 1998. Not sure how many Saturns were made in 1998 but if I were a betting man, I'd say there's more '98 Gens than there are '98 Saturns. I am not sure if Majesco did any re-releases like they did with SNES games but the Genesis was alive and well well into 1998

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Yes. I have in my posession a Genesis made in 1998.
    How do you know when it was manufactured? Do you have any pictures?

I am not sure if Majesco did any re-releases like they did with SNES games but the Genesis was alive and well well into 1998
    Majesco did rerelease games for the Genesis, and rereleased their own Genesis 2 console. And later released their own Genesis 3 console in 1998.

There are numerous guides that describe how to tell the differences with Genesis motherboard revisions, all documenting the Majesco versions too. Yet none of the guides I've found mention how to date the manufacturing date of the console. So I'm curious how you know your console was made in 1998.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    How do you know when it was manufactured? Do you have any pictures?

Majesco did rerelease games for the Genesis, and rereleased their own Genesis 2 console. And later released their own Genesis 3 console in 1998.

There are numerous guides that describe how to tell the differences with Genesis motherboard revisions, all documenting the Majesco versions too. Yet none of the guides I've found mention how to date the manufacturing date of the console. So I'm curious how you know your console was made in 1998.
    It said 1998 either on the manufacturer sticker on the bottom of the console or on the PCB or both, dont remember. Id be happy to upload photos but I have problems every single time I try to do that.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I would totally believe 98 for a Genesis 3. Majesco were selling Game Gear systems and games through 2001 I believe. Saturn was on full clearance by then, I would say. By '98 it was full on Nintendo64 vs. Playstation, and at that point, you're already into the 3rd major wave of games on those systems. The games were getting more and more detailed, expanded, and refined.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I also have a Genesis 2 made in 1998, and a Genesis 3, I assume made in 1998 or 1999. I got the Genesis 2 new in late 1998, my mom got it for me as my first console.
    Last edited by WelcomeToTheNextLevel; 05-07-2021 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WelcomeToTheNextLevel View Post
    I also have a Genesis 2 made in 1998, and a Genesis 3, I assume made in 1998 or 1999. I got the Genesis 2 new in late 1998, my mom got it for me as my first console.
    Was your Genesis 2 a Majesco model?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Majesco Genesis II's are very rare.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Yes, I believe so

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sega's hardware downfall was due to a series of errors which proved insurmountable. It's a complicated web of nonsense but it can really be boiled down to a few main drastic problems of which a lapse of new hardware in that time period is only a footnote IMO. The first error was how they handled the success in the home console market that they had previously never experienced. SOA and SOJ had constant disagreements and no clear cohesive vision. They wanted to ride on the success of the Genesis by releasing the 32X while simultaneously ending support for the Genesis and promoting the upcoming Saturn. Complete nonsense. Then the Saturn got scooped by the PS1 and Sega's response of slapping another SH2 into the Saturn was noticeably deficient after which they alienated major retailers with their discriminatory early U.S. rollout. They did release an amazing piece of hardware with the Dreamcast but made it look lame and gave it a trash controller. Game over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WelcomeToTheNextLevel View Post
    Yes, I believe so
    That would be really neat. Apparently they're supposed to have good video and sound chips, there's a chance I found one years ago in a bundle but sold it as I didn't pay attention to it at the time. They usually have a white sticker on the bottom instead of the standard black, I seem to remember seeing this in person for some reason. Or I could be wrong as it would have been ages ago and I can't really remember it clearly.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    That would be really neat. Apparently they're supposed to have good video and sound chips, there's a chance I found one years ago in a bundle but sold it as I didn't pay attention to it at the time. They usually have a white sticker on the bottom instead of the standard black, I seem to remember seeing this in person for some reason. Or I could be wrong as it would have been ages ago and I can't really remember it clearly.
    Im reading that the Majesco Game Gear made in 2000 is highly sought after as well because the capacitors and LCD screen are better. not sure if that was mentioned already or not

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I was just thinking about this again tonight. Perhaps a reversed release would have been ideal, with the West getting the Nov. 27, 1998 release date and Japan waiting until Sept. 9, 1999 (with games with Western appeal given priority during development). Sega Lord X argued that the Dreamcast was too early in Japan, being released when the Saturn was still in its heyday there.

Meanwhile in the West consumers were rapidly forgetting about Sega. A Dreamcast released in time for Christmas 1998 with Sonic Adventure (it came out on Dec. 23, 1998 in real life so it's feasible to imagine it 26 days earlier) would have gotten the jump on Sony and given Sega an entire holiday season as the technological leader before Sony even announced the PS2. The lack of a DVD player would have been a non-issue in holiday 1998 because they weren't yet in the same demand they would be in during 2000-2002, certainly no one would have expected one in a console. Meanwhile, during that November 1998 to September 1999 period, Japan would have continued buying up Saturns and games.

Ultimately, the PS2 would have still squashed the Dreamcast, but the damage to Sega would have been far less. Maybe Sega would have let the Dreamcast live out a full life and then retired it, going third-party some time near the launch of the Xbox 360.