Thread: Is it possible to play retro console games online?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Default Is it possible to play retro console games online?

Most people here know that X-Band made this possible back in the 90s, but for those of us who don't have an X-Band adapter, is there a way to connect an actual SNES and original cartridge to the internet in order to play with someone online? I would really like to be able to play Mortal Kombat 2 or Street Fighter 2 on original hardware and play it online.

I am sure the answer is no and, yes, I know I can go the emulator route, I just want to know if anyone has tried this. I don't like to have to download a ROM and then worry about Nintendo sueing me for millions of dollars, or giving anyone a reason to search my computer if there is some sort of evidence that I illegally downloaded a ROM.

I also know you can do this on the Switch but I am not a huge fan of the controller. I will probably go that route for now at least, but the multiplayer games I want are not on there unfortunately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Dreamcast can for playing on private severs long as you have a dreamcast-pi it's pretty much a raspberry pi setup to work with the console.The other being the netlink adapter for sega saturn but it only has five games that make use of it.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Here are the classic systems that have servers with the ability to connect to original hardware currently running:

[U]Dreamcast[/U - https://dreamcastlive.net/connection-guide/

Wiimmfi for Nintendo DS and Wii
    Check out these websites:

wiimmfi.de
    wii.guide

On Nintendo DS, nothing more than setting the DNS to a custom server that points to the Wiimmfi servers. Works for games like Mario Kart DS with ease. However, you must also be able to connect to Wifi that has WEP encryption or less.

On Nintendo Wii, you have to patch individual games and WADs in order to connect online with them. The Wii supports newer Wifi encryption so can connect to most routers. However, you must have the Homebrew Channel installed. For more info, check out the Wiimmfi and RiiConnect24 Discords.

XLink Kai: (Need a USB adapter that is compatible). Separate service that spoofs a LAN connection between systems, but is actually over the internet. Works with the following systems and then some:

Gamecube
    PSP
    Wii
    Xbox
    Xbox 360

Sega Saturn Netlink
    https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum...0&f=2&p=149914

SNES and Genesis:
    XBand Modem - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl1WqCEwpMU

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Baloo For This Useful Post:

gbpxl (06-02-2021)