Thread: The Legend of Zelda 35th anniversary Game and Watch being released 2021 holiday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Default The Legend of Zelda 35th anniversary Game and Watch being released 2021 holiday

As mentioned on Nintendo Life

It will have The Legend of Zelda, Zelda 2 and LoZ:Link's Awakening (not the DX version I guess) along with a G&W style game called "Vermin" starring Link.

I already preordered it from Best Buy just in case this flies off the shelves as opposed to SMB: G&W, which I still see stock on. While I don't play my G&W (it's a nice clock on my desk) what I have played was pretty tight.

SMB, Zelda 1 and Zelda 2 are games I play at least once a year all the way through. To have them in a dedicated physical and portable offering is just grand to me.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I think Nintendo has sucked every ounce of milk they could from the Zelda back catalog. They go back to the well way too much for my liking. It seems like they just stopped coming up with new IP with the exception of Splatoon. everything else is always just a rehash of the same games and same IPs.

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I bought the Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch they made for SMB's 35th birthday, and still get enjoyment from it in spite of its very limited game lineup and gameplay. Not sure what they were thinking; when I first heard that it would have three games on it, I figured SMB2 (the US version) and SMB3 would be on there, but instead it's just two versions of basically the same game (with the second game being a Kaizo-hard version of the first), plus a Mario-fied version of the first G&W release, "Ball" (you think they would've included the actual SMB G&W, but nope). At least there's somewhat of a difference between LoZ and AoL, plus you get Link's Awakening as well, so that should make for more varied enjoyment than the SMB G&W.
    -Adam
    Last edited by AdamAnt316; 06-17-2021 at 11:24 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    I bought the Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch they made for SMB's 35th birthday, and still get enjoyment from it in spite of its very limited game lineup and gameplay. Not sure what they were thinking; when I first heard that it would have three games on it, I figured SMB2 (the US version) and SMB3 would be on there, but instead it's just two versions of basically the same game (with the second game being a Kaizo-hard version of the first), plus a Mario-fied version of the first G&W release, "Ball" (you think they would've included the actual SMB G&W, but nope). At least there's somewhat of a difference between LoZ and AoL, plus you get Link's Awakening as well, so that should make for more varied enjoyment than the SMB G&W.
    -Adam
    if Nintendo fans wanted them to try harder, theyd boycott these producta and hold out for something better but I am sure that the rabid fanbase will put money hand over fist for a lackluster product that even they will admit isnt that great

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

So are these things the size of an actual watch? Because I would think being that small would make these games freaking unplayable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    So are these things the size of an actual watch? Because I would think being that small would make these games freaking unplayable.
    No, it's about the size of the Game and Watch handhelds of the 1980s. The "watch" part is they have a clock on them. The width is probably close to that of a NES controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    if Nintendo fans wanted them to try harder, theyd boycott these producta and hold out for something better but I am sure that the rabid fanbase will put money hand over fist for a lackluster product that even they will admit isnt that great

It's all about te collecting with a dash of FOMO. But in reality, folks knew going in what they were getting, so if they are disappointed, it's on them. The SMB games didn't seem to fly off the shelves. I think my local quasi-boonies Wal-Mart still has 5 or so in the case. So maybe a good chunk of folks DID hold out and this LoZ setup is the response.

I bought mine as I used to have the original SMB G&W. I used it as a clock then and an alarm. Then someone swiped it from me. I bought the new version as a way more playable replacement. It would have been cool if #2 and #3 were included but I'm happy with what I have. It looks great on my desk and feeds my need to know what time it is, as I have this weird obsession with clocks. And Pac-Man.

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    There are things which Nintendo got right with the SMB G&W. The battery life is excellent, the form factor is great, and the screen is outstanding. Also, both SMB and SMB:LL offer 'infinite lives' mode, which allows you to tackle difficult levels repeatedly until you get them right. The LoZ release makes me optimistic that there will be further G&W releases in the future, hopefully including one with SMB2US and SMB3.
    -Adam

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Ive had my share of SMB2. NES, SNES, GBA, emulator, feel like Ive played enough of it. awesome game but yeah, come on Nintendo. would love to see a Super Mario Bros. 4 with 8-bit graphics and gameplay similar to SMB3. better levels, save feature (duh), more challenging gameplay

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    It's all about te collecting with a dash of FOMO.
    ....The heck is FOMO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

....The heck is FOMO?
    Sorry-I hesr it too much and modern acronyms spewed from my fingers: Fear Of Missing Out.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

....The heck is FOMO?
    f*** off, moron octopus.

Richard Branson coined the term. got tired of saying it on his underwater expeditions so he just started saying FOMO